Favourite Track(s)

Afternoon all,

Which is your favourite current F1 track, and why?
Which is your favourite historic F1 track, and why?
Lastly, if you could take modern F1 back to any previous track, or to a new venue - which would it be, and why?

For me, my favourite track from the current calendar Spa, it has everything - high speed corners, low speed corners, technical sections, balls-out sections, unpredictable weather, a long circuit where you're not always tripping over a Sauber and a bit of gradient. Finally it has Eau Rouge, although personally I'm just as excited about Pouhon and Blanchimont.

Of the historic ones, I'd my favourite has got to be Turkey. I must have logged thousands of laps around there in DTM cars on TOCA Race Driver against my best mate years ago, and the real-life F1 races there were typically just as exciting!

Ashamedly, even though I call myself a petrol-head, I only discovered Portimao a few weeks ago, and I am really loving that track. I think it would be great for F1, although some of the gradients might be a bit extreme.

Looking forward to hearing your inputs!

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 2 users Like Purple-banana's post

Another thing we agree on...Spa ( older version with `bus stop` up to 2002 I think) and Turkey haha, I also love Laguna Seca, obviously not for f1 but for Moto gp

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Suzuka - by far. I've driven more PS3 GT5 laps round that track than any other.

Edit - Oh, and Kyalami for historic track. Would love to see that one back on the calendar and would certainly go out of y way to go to a F1 race there.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(15-11-2017, 05:25 PM)Purple-banana Wrote:  Afternoon all,

Which is your favourite current F1 track, and why?
Which is your favourite historic F1 track, and why?
Lastly, if you could take modern F1 back to any previous track, or to a new venue - which would it be, and why?

For me, my favourite track from the current calendar Spa, it has everything - high speed corners, low speed corners, technical sections, balls-out sections, unpredictable weather, a long circuit where you're not always tripping over a Sauber and a bit of gradient. Finally it has Eau Rouge, although personally I'm just as excited about Pouhon and Blanchimont.

Of the historic ones, I'd my favourite has got to be Turkey. I must have logged thousands of laps around there in DTM cars on TOCA Race Driver against my best mate years ago, and the real-life F1 races there were typically just as exciting!

Ashamedly, even though I call myself a petrol-head, I only discovered Portimao a few weeks ago, and I am really loving that track. I think it would be great for F1, although some of the gradients might be a bit extreme.

Looking forward to hearing your inputs!

Ahh great question again JB, and now I know why your so familiar with all these tracks, cause your a gamer, had a laugh when I saw "must've logged thousands of hours in DTM" _ thought Angelina Habana was the only pro racer on sky haha, great shout for Turkey, love that circuit

looking into it, when you look at all the current tracks, there is actually only a handful you'd really say are great, Spa of of course, I enjoy Australia, but maybe that's because it heralds a new season and my excitement is at fever pitch, couldn't really describe the track characteristics though

Then really it's not until Monaco, that you get another great track, I know people say it's a procession, but It's one of the greatest driver challenges, so I think Monaco would be my pick of the current crop for that reason, and it can throw up some high drama - also if you look at the list of drivers who've won it it's an incredible list of the greats, a couple of notable exceptions aside though, DC won it twice, as did Frentzen, not sure what happened there haha - but one of my fav drivers, just because I liked him and loved that he was a Quali King - Trulli won it also - I always get picked on for liking him haha - also should mention Nico is a 3 time winner, but that's just to piss Morini off haha Smile

My historic track, is covered by the same one for both of your last 2 points - The Nurburgring, and I mean the whole damn thing, only the greats of old really got to do this, and it would be an astonishing thing to see modern F1 cars go around, I get that it's virtually impossible due to safety and cost - but there's a recent film called "the green hell" which tells it's history from the beginning - sent chills down me - cheers

Edit - should add Zamboon and Papa both want on, if any can get a message to them, will try myself of courseSmile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 1 user Likes Foghorn Leghorn's post

Yes, Forza, definitely with the old bus-stop!

I love Suzuka too Morini, that is my veeery close second to Spa!

Kyalami dropped off the calendar before I was old enough to take an interest in F1, so it’s not one I am familiar with - although I hear a lot about it - always good!

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 1 user Likes Purple-banana's post

Kyalami is a great shout also, As for Monaco fog it is one of those marmite tracks, mega exciting for drivers not so exciting for fans I think.

Nowt much wrong with Silverstone to be fair...if they would put the pits back where they belong lol

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(15-11-2017, 06:41 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Kyalami is a great shout also, As for Monaco fog it is one of those marmite tracks, mega exciting for drivers not so exciting for fans I think.

Nowt much wrong with Silverstone to be fair...if they would put the pits back where they belong lol

yep Forza - totally get that, but I had a fair idea, which ones yous guys would go for -so just wanted to suggest something different, and while I get some don't like it, I can think of some of the best F1 moments ever - Senna drives ther for example, not to mention the many crashes, not that I want someone hurt, but lets be honest, they are exciting, Jensons one into the barrier was a bad, not to mention all the other famous moments - even put danny Ric in a bad mood, haha - 

also - I just checked on the driver list to win it, it's awesome - also as part of the triple crown, it must be special - Silverstone is great too - my one and only gp I got to, was close to listing it  Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

I do enjoy Monaco dont get me wrong, I just get the impression its a bit marmite for fans with the lack of overtaking, as you say Monaco has so many memorable instances and images. ( I am looking forward to seeing our own racetrack in N.I, Lake Torrent when its finished)

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(15-11-2017, 07:16 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I do enjoy Monaco dont get me wrong, I just get the impression its a bit marmite for fans with the lack of overtaking, as you say Monaco has so many memorable instances and images. ( I am looking forward to seeing our own racetrack, Lake torrent when its finished)

yep agree again, but for me, with this current formula, of DRS and go faster buttons, I personally was happier when overtaking was much more difficult, I get that the aero now is a big factor, but I really enjoyed when an overtake was for real, and had no problem with just a couple per race, so to make my point, the overtakes you got through the tunnel for example or down to the swimming pool were astonishing - though I think the tunnel overtakes over the years to be some of the best ever, but as you know - some didn't quite come off Smile

[+] 2 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

Spa is my first choice.
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve though always let me enjoy a race.

(15-11-2017, 07:23 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  
(15-11-2017, 07:16 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I do enjoy Monaco dont get me wrong, I just get the impression its a bit marmite for fans with the lack of overtaking, as you say Monaco has so many memorable instances and images. ( I am looking forward to seeing our own racetrack, Lake torrent when its finished)

yep agree again, but for me, with this current formula, of DRS and go faster buttons, I personally was happier when overtaking was much more difficult, I get that the aero now is a big factor, but I really enjoyed when an overtake was for real, and had no problem with just a couple per race, so to make my point, the overtakes you got through the tunnel for example or down to the swimming pool were astonishing - though I think the tunnel overtakes over the years to be some of the best ever, but as you know - some didn't quite come off Smile

Those overtakes in the tunnel. I don't enjoy Monaco that much anymore and almost forgot about those great moments.
Drove that tunnel with a normal car once and can't imagine those guys doing overtakes with such speed on that spot. The light that hits you at the exit of the tunnel makes it even more astonishing. At least for me...
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post