Ferrari

If Ferrari buy Sauber then there's no question in my mind, Mercedes will have to get a second team. RBR having Toro Rosso, and Ferrari owning Sauber and a very close technical partnership with Haas... well... that gives them HUGE advantages over Mercedes.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra...t/4334541/

Ferrari set for unique double-stacked exhaust in 2019.  (Pretty sure some one here noticed this on the Haas)  Stoned

Ferrari looks set to adopt a unique double-stacked exhaust system with its 2019 Formula 1 car, judging by the first images of customer team Haas's new design.

Last year, Ferrari raised eyebrows when it trialled a new concept for its exhaust system at the German Grand Prix.

Rather than having the two turbo wastegate pipes exiting at the side of the main exhaust like other teams, it experimented with mounting them both on top.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Ferrari may have to run without their 'Mission Winnow' branding at the Australian Grand Prix, as the country investigate whether it breaches advertising laws.
The initiative was created by long-time partner of the Italian team Philip Morris, makers of Marlboro cigarettes, which they argue is designed to promote alternatives to smoking.

However, the Age newspaper reports the Victorian state health department and the nationwide communications and media authority is taking a look at the matter, suggesting it may, in fact, be a clever strategy to advertise the Marlboro brand.
"It (Mission Winnow) has nothing to do with F1 cars, that's for sure," said anti-smoking campaigner John Cunningham.
However, Philip Morris has responded saying the company "always respects the laws that apply to our activities" before adding: "The campaign does not advertise or promote any branded products."

Highlighting how close the relationship has become the Mission Winnow initiative is set to be the title sponsor of Ferrari this year with the famous livery also expected to be a darker matte shade of red, similar to the Ducati MotoGP bike revealed last month.
Teams having to alter sponsorship logos at specific races isn't a new thing for F1 with many having to do so at European races in the early 2000s when cigarette advertising was banned.

More recently, alcohol brands have also had to be taken off cars at Middle Eastern races including the Martini stripes which have featured on the Williams cars.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Ferrari will give Vettel "priority" over Leclerc if required...

Ferrari is willing to proritise Sebastian Vettel over his new Formula 1 teammate Charles Leclerc if required in the early stages of the 2019 season.
The Scuderia has historically not shied away from team orders, and Vettel, who spearheaded its ultimately unsuccessful title challenges in the past two years, has often enjoyed preferential treatment over his now-former teammate Kimi Raikkonen when it came to strategy.

But the Italian team was criticised for its application of the policy last year, as it frustrated Raikkonen with overly vague instructions during the German Grand Prix and then allowed the Finn to battle Vettel at the start at Monza after a Ferrari front-row lock-out.
Ferrari's hesitant approach was regarded in sharp contrast to rival team Mercedes' handling of team orders in the Russian GP later that season.

Raikkonen is replaced by 2018 rookie star Charles Leclerc this year, but while the Monegasque has been tipped by many to give Vettel a tougher challenge, team boss Mattia Binotto has confirmed he would not have completely equal standing with the four-time world champion at the start of the season.

“I think it’s normal, especially early in the season, that if there are particular situations our priority will be Sebastian,” Binotto said at the launch of Ferrari's new SF90 challenger.
“He is the guide with which we aim for the championship.
“But there's no prejudice - the absolute priority is for Ferrari to win.”

The partnership between Vettel and Raikkonen was one of the more harmonious in the F1 paddock, but Binotto – who replaced Maurizio Arrivabene as team boss in the off-season – does not expect the Monegasque's presence to be disruptive.

“To have a driver pairing so competitive I think it’s not a problem but an opportunity,” Binotto said.
“Sebastian has little to prove, and he remains our guide. Charles still has to learn, as pointed out by himself, but we know how talented he is.
“Anyway, I hope to have this problem of having two drivers to manage among the top positions.”

After his Ferrari switch was confirmed last year, Leclerc said he would target winning the drivers' title in his first year should the team maintain its frontrunning form from 2018.
Asked during the 2019 launch whether he was thinking of the title heading into the campaign, Leclerc said: “I do not think about the championship, I have so much to do in front of me.

“I'll have a good reference thanks to Sebastian, right now I don't want to aim for anything but just to work.
“Then we'll see what will come.”

Ferrari's new matte paint a performance benefit....
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra...t/4338380/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

(15-02-2019, 06:25 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Ferrari will give Vettel "priority" over Leclerc if required...

Ferrari's new matte paint a performance benefit....
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra...t/4338380/

It really saddens me to hear that sort of talk before LeClerc has turned a wheel in the car. This is the wrong message and certainly the wrong thing to say (in public) before their new driver has even had their debut race with the team. Difference with Mercedes is I genuinely believe both drivers are given the same opportunity early in the season. Team orders only come in when it is clear one driver is their only chance of the WDC. The situation at Mercedes last year was a combination of factors and I don't think it was really necessary to take the Sochi win away from Bottas. However, the way Mercedes operated last year was entirely Bottas fault. He just didn't perform like a driver worthy of a front running car. I think he will be better this year and give Hammy more of a challenge. If he doesn't, well we all know who is waiting in the wings.

Regarding the matte finish on the Ferrari, they are simply copying Red Bull. I can't belive the "weight difference" in anything other than miniscule.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

While it is a little lame Morini, I agree with you. However, if I was Leclerc I wouldn't mind, it means he can just get on with dialling in. Maximise learning, learn the cars characteristics, it's settings parameters and get the car where he wants it. With relatively little distractions, just get a solid points haul, have fun, and let Vettel's garage and majority of Ferrari worry about winning.

Ferrari and the media must handle the situation suitably though, it can''t kill off the next generation before its even had a chance. Which we have seen already throughout the paddock and other teams.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

I too want to see CLC given a fair crack of the whip, but if you only take on board what Binotto is quoted as saying, like "if there are particular situations our priority will be Sebastian" and rubbish the drivel spewed by the hack.....imo it doesnt sound like CLC will be shafted at every opportunity ...“But there's no prejudice - the absolute priority is for Ferrari to win.”

As for the matte paint, yep they may well be following RBR but is f1 not full of plagiarism?....every little helps and all that Wink

(16-02-2019, 11:49 AM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  However, if I was Leclerc I wouldn't mind, it means he can just get on with dialling in. Maximise learning, learn the cars characteristics, it's settings parameters and get the car where he wants it. With relatively little distractions, just get a solid points haul, have fun, and let Vettel's garage and majority of Ferrari worry about winning.

That is another absolutely valid way of looking at it. I can't argue. However, myself I think as Vettel has been exposed by new talent in the past and Ferrari have a genuine special talent in CDC perhaps they have a duty to start with a level playing field? I understand team orders (it is a team sport and you do what is best for the team), but there is a time and a place for them, Before the start of the season isn't that time!

Forza, I hear what you are saying about the media hack blowing it out of context. Theres a lot of that, o doubt in my mind.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Dont get me wrong Morini, nothing would please me more than CLC getting the better of Seb from the get go...likewise I wont be too disappointed if having Charles in the team pushes Seb to raise his game and stop all the silly mistakes.

I spoke to someone with regards to the weight difference between Matte and gloss paint and it would be minuscule over a car given the thickness of the paint any way. However, he did point something interesting out though, Matte paint has lower thermal insulation properties than gloss that aren't insignificant. Matte paint will retain far less heat, as gloss paint does insulate. So maybe it'll help with cooling a bit, but he said over the surface of an F1 car he'd be surprised if the weight difference amounted to even 1g.

As to Leclerc, I think it's Binotto's first mistake. Even if it is reasonable, even if it is the right call to make (which at this point I'm not sure it is) coming out and saying it publicly is a blunder. Sure, make the call in the season if necessary, i.e. Sebs the one in the title fight, but he said nothing of it going the other way, if Leclerc is in the title fight. Either way that tell Leclerc and Vettel who Binotto, even subconsciously, is betting on to be the more likely WDC winner. He might well be right, but coming out and saying it? Stupid.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post