F1 "Future Vision" plans

(14-09-2019, 12:32 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Ferrari boss confirms change to F1 qualifying format in 2020.

Liberty Media have previously been reported to have investigated adding a sprint race to the F1 calendar, as is held in

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto says teams have agreed to hold an additional race on Formula 1 weekends from next year, which will impact on qualifying.

Although F1 is yet to confirm any changes to the race weekend programme, Binotto says all teams have agreed to the major change.

Asked if he was in favour of experimenting with a 'mini race' to decide qualifying on Saturdays, Binotto told Gazzetta dello Sport: "All the teams said yes. Including us. Therefore in 2020 it will be done."

Looking further ahead of 2021, when Liberty's regulation shake-up will come into force, Binotto suggested that finding common ground on the technical rules to be drafted is still to be found.

"Two concepts must be clear," he said. "F1 must remain a platform where technological competition exists.

"This is the only reason why Ferrari invests in it. We don't like any attempt to make the cars all the same. Standard parts can create reliability problems, such as clutch in F2.

"It must also remain a discipline in which the best wins. Trying to mix the cards is wrong. Ours is not a show, it is a sport.

"The regulation that we will vote in October will be the starting point for continuing to discuss and improve."

OMG The one part of F1 that has been got right is qualifying and now they are messing with it... IDIOTS

Wise words from Binotto I agree with everything he states
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

W
T
F

Lost for words.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 4 users Like Monster Hesh's post

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...or-drivers

F1's black and white flag: Explaining racing's yellow card for drivers
Why F1 is set to see more of the black and white warning flag rather than immediate penalties;

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Criticism of TV coverage prompts Formula 1 response. (Planet F1)

Formula 1 have issued a response in the face of ongoing criticism about their live television coverage during races.

The two biggest complaints levelled at the tv directors is missing overtakes further down the grid, especially from drivers who are working their way back up the field from the back, and cutting to a replay or a live crowd shot during a key event.

One of the best/worst examples came at the British Grand Prix when Lewis Hamilton’s overtake on Valtteri Bottas at Luffield was missed to cut a shot of the fans in the grandstand.

Complaints continued during the Italian Grand Prix coverage and Formula 1 have responded via a Q and A with the director of broadcast and media, Dean Locke.

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Jeez, I've been moaning about cut aways, replays and reaction shots for years. So much, that y'all , and even myself got bored with highlighting it as an issue. So its 2-3 years for F1 to acknowledge points highlighted on the F1 forums.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(20-09-2019, 08:26 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  So its 2-3 years for F1 to acknowledge points highlighted on the F1 forums.

I share your pain bud, at least they *finally* get it...…   Rolleyes

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Brawn responds to driver criticism of F1 format proposals. (MotorSport)

Lewis & Sebastian described the changes "complete bull shit"

Formula 1's managing director of motorsports Ross Brawn has responded to comments about potential changes to grand prix weekend formats for 2020 by stressing any adjustments will be experimental.

F1 owner Liberty Media remains in discussions with teams and the FIA about trialling reversed-grid qualifying races at select events for 2020 to improve the spectacle. But the proposal was blasted by Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel after qualifying for the Singapore Grand Prix last weekend, with Vettel describing it as "bullshit" and "completely the wrong approach".

In F1's post-race media pass, Brawn addressed "a variety of statements from drivers and pundits" regarding the proposal, which he said was still being discussed.

"To try to clarify the situation and avoid misunderstandings, there are discussions about experimenting in 2020 with changes to the qualifying format with the aim of making a grand prix weekend a little less predictable," said Brawn. "I want to emphasise the word ‘experiment’ because this is what it is about - a small sample to establish the directions for the future.

"We are all too aware that the current qualifying format is exciting and spectacular but what is also important is to make sure that the race, the highlight of the weekend, is the best it can be. And since, no matter how many simulations you run, there’s no measure more accurate than the track, Formula 1, the teams and the FIA are studying the possibility of a revised format for a small number of events for next season.

Remember what happened last time they (well, Bernie) f*cked with the quali format?

Learn that lesson and leave well alone.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(MotorSport)

Formula 1 team bosses remain concerned that the 2021 regulations will not allow enough design differentiation as the parties involved work towards avoiding "a GP1 formula with silhouette cars".

Among the raft of changes being planned for F1 in 2021 are new technical and financial regulations designed to reduce spending and close the performance gap between teams.

However, a mix of standard parts and tighter technical rules remains concerning to teams, with Alfa Romeo team boss Frederic Vasseur admitting: "I'm just a bit scared that if the room of freedom is too small at the end, we will end up with [a car] like a monotype.

"But it won't be a monotype, and we will have to spend millions for this."

Many teams have voiced concern that the designs will become too "prescriptive", while the rulemakers have undertaken an unprecedented research and development programme to refine the 2021 rules.

Hamilton: Gimmicks designed to hide 2021 failures. (Autosport)

Lewis Hamilton has hit out at F1’s powers-that-be, saying the reason they want to try reverse grids is because they have dropped the ball with the sport’s regulations
Formula 1’s bosses are currently considering the idea of reverse grids at some 2020 grands prix.

The driver leading the championship would start P20 with the very last man in the standings on pole position.
The finishing order of that race would determine the grid for the Sunday grand prix.

Hamilton, who attended meetings with the sport’s bosses regarding the proposed 2021 regulations, reckons the only reason they are considering reverse grids for next season is because they are “not doing a good enough job” with the 2021 rules.

“It was a concern back [before], and it’s still the same concern,” he told Autosport.
“The fact they are trying to reverse grids and all that seems to me like an excuse for not doing a good enough job in the decision process.

“Why are they making the cars heavier? There’s no reason, it’s not safer, it’s not better for racing.
“My points are still the same. I’m still concerned.

“And I don’t think that’s going to change from what I’ve witnessed in the meeting.”

Asked if he felt F1 bosses would be debating reverse grids if they were confident in their 2021 rules, Hamilton replied: “The changes they’ve made in previous years have not been particularly effective, so they are probably not confident with any decision-making process!

“I don’t know. It’s not an easy job. There’s a lot of people involved in the decision-making process.
“Us drivers are trying to have more of an impact and more of a role in helping them make a better decision, but it doesn’t seem to have made much difference.”