F1 "Future Vision" plans

I'm with Vettel on this one, there are so many races on the calendar that are Shyte, while historic races are under threat, and new circuits like Malaysia and Turkey that provide good racing have been dropped. I am not convinced by the Hanoi circuit layout. I just don't think Tilke et al can make a street circuit that "works" just by stealing elements from other circuits. Location is key, and all of these historic tracks have evolved, getting better. You can't fake this sort of thing, ironically the things that made Turkey, Malaysia and indeed CotA is location and topography, things that caused those tracks to evolve.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

I think everyone on this board agrees with Sebastian on that. Liberty can stick events like Vietnam and Baku where the sun don't shine.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Agreed Morini, throw in Russia and Singapore for me as well.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Liberty Media is in talks with Saudi Arabia about a grand prix in the controversial Kingdom for 2021 which could boost the Formula 1 World Championship calendar to 23 rounds.

London’s Times newspaper reveals that talks between Saudi officials and F1’s owner have taken place “several” times.

Correspondent Rebecca Clancy also said the “teams have been asked for their views” about racing in Saudi Arabia, which is often accused of human rights violations.

But the expansion of the currently 21-race calendar to 22 races next year and then even more in 2021 and beyond will also be controversial.

“If you look at 2021, at the moment we are discussing for 24 races,” said Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto.

Claire Williams confirmed: “We are incredibly worried about the prospect of having 24, 25 races on the calendar. Asking the people who work for us to travel as much as that is a huge undertaking.”

“Bringing new parts to 21 races is hard work, bringing new parts to 25 is going to bring even more pressure on our businesses, so that for me is a huge concern.”

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

Fuck no, we should be questioning being in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi, but we definitely should not be going to Saudi Arabia. Even Bernie said no to Saudi Arabia, and that should speak fucking volumes. Fecking yanks. 24 to 25 McTilke city tracks, fecking hate Liberty Media.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

BREAKING: Mexican Grand Prix to remain on F1 calendar.

After months of uncertainty, the Mexican Grand Prix has been confirmed to be remaining on the Formula 1 calendar for the next three seasons, with organisers set to sign a new deal on Thursday.

Before the start of the 2019 season the futures of five races in Spain, Britain, Germany, Italy, and Mexico were up in the air. With the Netherlands already confirmed as returning next season it was thought Mexico could be the race to be dropped, but organisers have announced on Twitter that an agreement has been reached.

"The City of Mexico's #FIESTA will continue! Thanks for being the best fans on the planet. Stay tuned on our social channels tomorrow to know all the details," said the race's official Twitter account.

The race will once again take part in Mexico City, and mayor Claudia Sheinbaum posted a short video congratulating her home on the great news.

"I want to share some good news that I just received," she said.

"Formula 1 is staying in Mexico City. The FIA president is going to be here tomorrow to sign it. This is good news for the city.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(07-08-2019, 04:47 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  BREAKING: Mexican Grand Prix to remain on F1 calendar.

Maxie is going to be really happy as he does well there. I predict Max will own that event in much the same way as Lewis owns Hungary 

<thinks> 
errr...., and Canada and Silverstone and China and USA and Monza and Japan. Bloody hell, he owns a lot of circuits doesn't he? 
</thinks>
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Officially announced today CDMX signs up until 2022

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...until-2022

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Budget cap ‘dry run’ confirmed for 2020.

Formula 1 CEO Chase Carey has confirmed that a “dry run” of the budget cap will be in place for 2020 to fine tune it in time for 2021.

A $175m per-season budget cap will be in place from 2021, something which has gained the support of the vast majority of the grid.

In 2020 the spending of teams will be monitored to show them how the system will work and to flag up any possible issues, but as it is a dry run there will be no consequences when teams almost certainly exceed the $175 million mark.
“We are going to use 2020, all the teams will participate in effectively a dry run as the cost cap won’t actually be enforced with consequence until 2021,” he said at a conference on Thursday.

“In 2020 what we are going to go through is shaking out the bugs of accounting for the costs.”
Asked if he worried that teams could find a way around the cap, he said: “We wouldn’t have done it if we didn’t think it was enforceable.”

Carey also made it clear that the budget cap was vital to attracting new teams to join the grid for 2021.
Formula 1’s last attempt to make significant additions to the field in 2010 on the promise of lower costs ended in disaster – USF1 never started the season, while Lotus/Caterham, Hispania/HRT and Virgin/Marussia/Manor all languished at the back before eventually leaving the sport.

“It is important we create a cost cap that supports a business model that is healthy and growing and positive for existing teams and potential new teams coming into it,” said Carey.
“We’ve had discussions with potential new teams.

“All have looked at sort of steps in terms of cost discipline and a more balanced revenue distribution as probably cornerstones to creating what they think is an exciting opportunity so certainly that is a part of it.

“We feel quite positive about where we are with the cost cap, in many ways teams, some of whom had concerns or issues going in, are increasingly supportive.”

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

There are so many ways any form of cap can be circumvented and be sure the top teams will find and use them.

I personally think a better approach would actually be the opposite and that is to guaranteeing teams that enter a minimum level of income from the sport which to my mind should absolutely be at the expense of the top teams in terms of the distribution of prize money.

I am sure someone could come up with a formula that would work. Obviously you would have to put some restrictions of the amount of teams entering and that they themselves are not totally reliant on that income to run the team.

There is no doubt one thing that will suffer as a consequence of this limit will be R and D and hence the progressive attitude the top teams have.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post