Senior FIA member moves to new Ferrari department ;)

Soooo...

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headl...-team.html

What really weird is that he's to stay in post until June and perform his current duties apparently. Then work straight into Maranello...

After the stink Ferrari kicked up over Renault and Budkowski (they're the team that threatened legal action) methinks Enstone my try for some payback. Can't see Mercedes or RBR being happy either. Surely he has to go on gardening leave?

He is to cease all F1 related duties

"The FIA say he will continue to work for the governing body until the end of June in his role as Safety Director but will immediately cease all F1 duties.

Mekies will join Ferrari on September 20"

gardening leave...6 months!

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Did he have as much access to teams designs as Budkowski? If he did, then I imagine fuss, if not, teams may have more pressing matters. Though I thought that after Renault's poach last year, the gardening leave clause was adjusted?

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

He was responsible for homologation sporting and technical and for adjudicating legality... so yeah... he'd have access to teams technical documents and specifications. As to gardening leave? I don't know.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Ah, the article I read, failed to mention that. There was certainly alot of talk saying they were going to or should change the gardening leave. The whole thing died down quite quickly after the race weekend that it cropped up in, media wise anyway. So no idea if it was pursued, i guess we are going to find out in this ones fallout.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

Hey Forza, I'd not seen that, most reports didn't mention that. As to the actual appointment, I happen to think it's a shrewd one.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(14-03-2018, 05:57 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Hey Forza, I'd not seen that, most reports didn't mention that. As to the actual appointment, I happen to think it's a shrewd one.

Cant think of any disadvantages lol

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Agreed Forza, a highly skilled engineer, with vast experience, not just of F1, but other series too, and trained in technical legal arguments now. Really good appointment if you ask me.

(14-03-2018, 06:56 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Agreed Forza, a highly skilled engineer, with vast experience, not just of F1, but other series too, and trained in technical legal arguments now. Really good appointment if you ask me.

We have lost so many key members of staff lately its about time someone of note was lured in  Wink

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

McLaren says it is "unhappy" with the FIA after it announced Laurent Mekies is to leave his post with the governing body and join Ferrari, breaking an agreement among teams.
Mekies, the FIA's safety delegate and deputy race director for Formula 1 and F2, will start at Ferrari in just over six months, on September 20. He will report to technical director Mattia Binotto.

After last year's Marcin Budkowski case – when the former head of the FIA's technical department left to join Renault – the matter of gardening leave was discussed by the teams in a Strategy Group meeting.

It was agreed that 12 months would be an appropriate minimum wait for former employees of both the FIA and the F1 Group.

The fact that this deadline has been broken so soon after it was agreed has angered McLaren.
"We very unhappy with the FIA for losing yet another key employee to a racing team," McLaren racing director Eric Boullier told Motorsport.com.

"Especially after it was agreed by all teams at the last Strategy Group meeting that no key technical FIA employees would be employed by a race team within 12 months of leaving the FIA.

"Ferrari went against the gentleman's agreement, and the FIA has not enforced it."

Other teams are known to have expressed similar views in private, although they have yet to comment publicly.

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post