Ferrari hit reliability targets on their Dyno

Pretty much as the title says:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134376...018-engine

Sounds promising, I like that Ferrari have released details about the failed piston head concept Sassi proposed, and essentially have suggested / hinted that's why he left. Nice little dig there.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(15-02-2018, 04:45 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Pretty much as the title says:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134376...018-engine

Sounds promising, I like that Ferrari have released details about the failed piston head concept Sassi proposed, and essentially have suggested / hinted that's why he left. Nice little dig there.

Failed alloy / steel piston you mean I think? The article talks about the Ferrari alloy steel piston which the pundits were talking up a lot last season (and nothing came of it). I think that is the "failed" concept. rather than the piston head which it sounds like is coming later this year.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(18-02-2018, 07:57 PM)morini Wrote:  Failed alloy / steel piston you mean I think? The article talks about the Ferrari alloy steel piston which the pundits were talking up a lot last season (and nothing came of it). I think that is the "failed" concept. rather than the piston head which it sounds like is coming later this year.

Yes from what I have read they are still testing an innovative new cylinder head but doing away with the forged alloy steel pistons

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Yes, that's my point, the concept is still going forward, just not the forged alloy part. Reading the Ferrari statement made it seem like Sassi messed up, and:

1) That's why he left, not that Ferrari didn't have the technical ability to produce them, which from paddock scuttlebutt is the case.

2) That the piston head concept they're currently following is Corrado Lotti's idea, and not the Sassi concept manufactured a different way.

The truth is the current Ferrari engine program was planned out by Sassi and I doubt they've been able to realign it drastically given the nature and architecture of their engines. Plus, it's really unusual for an F1 team to openly criticise a former employee like this. Even if it is a small dig, it's still a dig, and psychologically that is interesting to me. Why comment about him at all? Unless of course you've now realised your mistake and are trying to find ways to convince yourself it wasn't a mistake.