Sassi to Mercedes

I remember trying to point out how big a deal it was when Sassi left Ferrari:

https/f1/news/130583/ferrari-splits-with-f1-engine-chief

Yet not many seemed to give a damn at the time, probably because the championship was so close at the time. However, I always felt he was a big loss to Ferrari, after all he is attributed with being the main man responsible for Ferrari's improved engine performance, and is widely seen as the KERS guy in the paddock. Many feel the Ferrari engine package has better KERS performance than Mercedes.

I also felt there was more to his departure. Marchionne got involved, heavily, and his departure was sudden and had the whiff of a firing. Sassi was known to be outspoken, and had been critical of the way Ferrari were being run in the past. I also felt it was interesting that post Sassi leaving the FIA made some engine rule clarifications, which seemed to me to be targeted at Ferrari.

So fast forward to now, I honestly expected to see Sassi rock up at Honda or Renault to help with their efforts... But no...

http://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes-se...-engineer/

So now Mercedes really do have an utterly bewildering array of engine talent. I'm absolutely amazed they felt the need to swoop, even when the rumours surfaced in December last year I felt it was a bit fantasy football esque wishful thinking from Mercedes fans, but no, today it is confirmed. Going forward, for a very long time, do not expect anyone to get close to matching Mercedes engines.

PS. Also given proposed changes to F1 engines in 2021, and given his areas of expertise, Sassi is the guy you'd want heading any preliminary work.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Yikes, just what Mercedes needed - another advantage!

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 1 user Likes Purple-banana's post

Shoulda kept that to yourself Jody, it's really bummed me out ! : P

Think at the time you mentioned it, I expressed my frustration at the Ferrari ruthless management, constantly shooting themselves in the foot: Aldo Costa, James Allison, Alonso, now this. Three of those four, all now at Mercedes. Surprised Vettle has chosen to stick around.

Maybe they have found others better, hoping so, so there is contention to Merc dominance.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Whilst I agree with the general sentiment of wanting competition to end Mercedes dominance, the one team I don't want taking over is Ferrari.

I'm most of the way through the Newey book (slow reading it as I have very little spare time) and it hasn't done anything to mellow my opinion of the red team. Don't like 'em, never will.

(13-02-2018, 01:31 PM)morini Wrote:  Whilst I agree with the general sentiment of wanting competition to end Mercedes dominance, the one team I don't want taking over is Ferrari.

This is exactly why we need more teams, more manufactures and looser regulations/in-season development.

Apart from the odd flash of brilliance/luck, it has taken 4 years for Ferrari to get close to Mercedes - and even then they were on an absolute knife-edge, eventually imploding so spectacularly. I am hopeful for even closer this season but in my gut I fear it's going to be back to the 14-16 Mercedes walk-over.

The Renault works-team are in a different league altogether, It's only through the Red Bull chassis and a dollop of luck/perfect storms that they have been able to get within sniffing distance of the Merc gearbox.

It would be interesting to hear your take on the Newey book once you've finished it  Wink

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher

Sorry guys, but I felt it was way too important not to point out. Quite frankly Mercedes now officially employ the top 3 Power Unit engineers in F1. Absolutely no question about it. They employ the very best mechanical engineers, and in the aero department you could easily make the case they employ 3 of the top 5 guys too. I'll be amazed if Lewis doesn't sell his soul to get that long term contract now. If Mercedes start well this season then expect Danny Ric and anyone with ambition to throw their hat in the ring, because Mercedes just made a clear statement to the rest of the paddock and it read something like this...

"Come at me bro"

Hesh, yeah, I think you Morini and someone else responded and that was it. Sassi is known to be 'difficult' from what I hear, then again most geniuses are. And make no mistake, he is seen as a genius, rumours are prior to these engine regs he suggested an engine layout similar to the one Mercedes pursued and he was out voted, and it rankled with him.

He was shunted to designing batteries, electronics, kinetic energy recovery devices and wiring looms... which he totally nailed. Then after two years struggling Ferrari put him in charge of sorting their 2017 PU, which lets be clear, he did. If he takes that KERS knowledge and adds it to Mercs formidable ICE, and MGU-H... well, you don't need me to spell it out.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post