Renault R.S.18

Yeah, I saw your post earlier & was hoping Jody or one of the clever peeps to come along, sure they will spot it, my tech skills are on another level, unfortunately its a lower level lol.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Sorry guys, didn't see the discussion, and I thought the original article did a fairly good job of explaining it. Right there's a few things to cover:

1. Off throttle exhaust blowing

Was banned primarily because it made following cars closely very, very difficult, because re-energising hot dirty air is way more difficult than just common all garden dirty air

2. Monkey Seats and other aero paraphernalia in the way of normally expelled exhaust fumes

Honestly I don't know. It was supposedly done for two primary reasons, firstly to reduce costs, and secondly to reduce the wake / dirty air coming off of the rear of the cars. The second point I'll concede. However, things like Monkey Seats aren't major contributors to an F1 cars wake, certainly not when compared to tyres, rear wings and diffusers. Always seemed like pissing in the wind to me. On the first point I call bollocks though. Teams will always find places to spend their budgets, and actually T-wings, shark fins and monkey seats were cheap ways midfield and lower teams could catch up with the big guys and their increasingly complex sidepods, nose scoop, chamfered wings, undulating floor plates etc. etc. etc.

Long answer I know, but it's not an easy topic, and it's one I don't agree with from a competitive stand point. As to Renault and their blown rear wing... I think they'll ditch it. We saw in Australia just how much of a handful the Renault was A) Breaking into turn 1, both drivers had multiple excursions and lock ups and B) Through the high speed curved straight leading to turn 11, the car Hulkenberg's car fishtailing is what allowed Danny Richard to mug him into Turn 13 as he was all out of shape through turns 11 and 12.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

On the budget thing, Cyril Abitobul apparently made a comment to French TV that both Red Bull and Mercedes have as many aerodynamacist working on their respective cars floors, as Renault have working on their entire car... if true (and I'm not entirely sure how he'd know) then it just goes to show the gulf that exists between the big three and the rest.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

[Image: DdeW2GGUwAA6eUV.jpg]

Obviously just for show, but, though this was a good picture.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 4 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Renault has signed Mercedes’ head of powertrain integration, Matthew Harman, as its new deputy chief designer.
Harman has worked with Mercedes for more than 17 years. He originally joined its engine division in 2001, as engineering team leader, before moving across to his powertrain integration role with the F1 team in 2011.

With Renault pushing on with investment and recruitment, Harman’s knowledge of how world champion Mercedes integrated its engine, transmission and chassis will be a further boost for the French manufacturer's long-term planning.

Cyril Abiteboul, managing director of Renault’s F1 project, said: “Over the past three years Bob Bell has been leading the charge for the team to reinforce its technical line-up.

“We are delighted to have attracted someone of Matthew’s calibre to enable the team to anticipate on the design cycle of future cars, a crucial benefit, something we are currently missing since the team’s acquisition and that will become even more important with the upcoming changes planned for 2021.”

Harman will assist Renault’s chief designer Martin Tolliday in the design of future cars.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/136869...t-about-f1

"Renault believes its ability to catch Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull is an important test for the future of Formula 1, which is split into "two worlds" at the moment.
Since its works team returned for the 2016 season Renault has made swift progress and has established itself as the fourth best team on the grid this season.
However, it is a distant fourth behind F1's big three teams - both its drivers were lapped in the recent Canadian Grand Prix, while Renault has less than half the points tally of third-placed Red Bull in the constructors' championship.
Renault Sport F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul said that his team was "topping the second world, but we want to be part of the first world".
"The success or not of Renault will say a lot about the health of the sport," said Abiteboul."

"If a car maker like Renault, who in my opinion has the right people and right infrastructure, is not capable of moving from the second world to the first world, it says a lot.
"If we can't do it, no one will be able to do it. So, we are freezing the positions as they are."

Renault Canada's updates.

https://formulaone21.wordpress.com/2018/...lt-r-s-18/

I do like their sharp clean cuts, forms and lines. Design style I'd expect in 2018.

[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

https://www.planetf1.com/news/renault-we...-decision/

So, no animosity then? Haha.

"Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul has said it is now the team’s aim to make Red Bull “regret” their decision to leave them and join forces with Honda."

“At this point in time there is no reason to think that Red Bull will not be receiving it, (engine upgrade) although we are yet to confirm details of engine allocation plan, but I hope that we will make them regret.”

As some highlight to Karun Chandock when he implied Renault may hold back updates from RedBull. There is a ruling stating all customer teams are to receive equal treatment and parts, no?

[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(20-06-2018, 03:21 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  As some highlight to Karun Chandock when he implied Renault may hold back updates from RedBull. There is a ruling stating all customer teams are to receive equal treatment and parts, no?

Yep, thats the ruling....but this is f1 and rules are there to be swerved, bent, twisted and worked around  Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post