Bottas keeps seat in 2020

(29-08-2019, 11:45 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Yeah, confirmed now, but Ocon to Renault is apparently a no go. Hulk retains an option, not the other way around. So Ocon could be shafted again. Feel sorry for him I really, really do, Bottas really has to deliver now, something I just don't think he's done for three season's now. This is the best he's ever driven, in let's what face it is a dominant car, and he is absolutely nowhere this season in reality, and is at risk to being picked off by Vettel, Verstappen and Leclerc in the championship. He hasn't convinced me he's the right driver for that seat, and if Lewis leaves for Ferrari in 2021 he'll be the continuity choice, and can any of us really see him ever winning a WDC or leading a team? I like Bottas, but he's not top drawer material.

I agree on the skills of Bottas; he just ain't good enough for the best car in F1. As a fan, I would love to see a better driver in that seat.

On the other hand, Mercedes has won both championships. The seems to be no tensions and their top driver, Hamilton, is happy.
Like they say; never change a winning team.

I just don't see Hamilton leave for Ferrari in 2021 (or any other year). If Hamilton will leave Mercedes, he will leave the sport. In that case Bottas is not the man you want to rely on, but they don't have to. Bottas his contract has the same length as Hamilton's contract. If Hamilton leaves, I am sure Mercedes can pick almost any driver(s) they want as a replacement. I would not be suprised if they taking a change with Verstappen; if Hamilton will leave, Verstappen is free to move and the latter will do so if Red Bull is not a championship winning car. Even if Verstappen is not available, they always can fall back on drivers like Norris, Russel, Ricciardo, etc. 

Ocon on the other hand, like I said he doesn't impress me that much (and apparently Mercedes either). 
So seems like a reasonable choice from Mercedes.

Messages In This Thread
Bottas keeps seat in 2020 - by morini - 22-08-2019, 10:29 AM
RE: Bottas keeps seat in 2020 - by Antilochos - 22-08-2019, 06:09 PM
RE: Bottas keeps seat in 2020 - by JDF_AW - 22-08-2019, 08:53 PM
RE: Bottas keeps seat in 2020 - by Jody Barton - 23-08-2019, 10:37 PM
RE: Bottas keeps seat in 2020 - by NeilP - 24-08-2019, 02:24 PM
RE: Bottas keeps seat in 2020 - by morini - 29-08-2019, 11:30 AM
RE: Bottas keeps seat in 2020 - by Jody Barton - 29-08-2019, 11:45 AM
RE: Bottas keeps seat in 2020 - by Antilochos - 29-08-2019, 08:11 PM