Its all about the Engines

There is no question Mercedes have the best engine. It's not even a debate. The question is the extent to which they have the advantage. I no longer think they're anywhere near the triple digit Bhp differences we once saw. Some sound analysis has them with a 50 Bhp advantage over Ferrari, while others have it down to 15 Bhp. It does seem to fluctuate by circuit though, maybe engine maps for track specific characteristics are the cause? Who knows, but it is no longer the case that Mercedes can turn up with a house brick of a car and let the engine do all the work.

It is now clear, certainly in races, not just at the frontof the grid, in tier 1 if you will, but also throughout the rest of the field in tier 2 that the engines are close enough now that aerodynamics, chassis / suspension and driver can make a difference. That's what the evidence suggests to me thus far any way. Of the top three I think Red Bull have the best Chassis, although at certain tracks I actually think the Ferrari works best, and I'd put Merc in third spot with a very 'peaky' chassis.

Aero is clearly Red Bulls strength, but again Ferrari are right there with them on most tracks. Again, Mercedes are probably third here, once more with very 'peaky' pergormance in the aero department. The truth is that this means at some tracks the Mercedes looks phenomenal, whereas at others it looks awful compared to the other big two. Meanwhile the Ferrari works well everywhere, looks best at a lot of places, and has only looked poor in Spain. Red Bull on the other hand get hurt at "power" tracks.

It's much closer than it has been for over a decade in that respect. However, all round, after 8 races I'd want to be driving a Ferrari most weekends, and a Mercedes or a Red Bull every now and then. It is a great compliment to Ferrari that they've not only reeled Mercedes in, but have started to pull ahead. Given the embarrassment of engineering talent Mercedes have, that's an outstanding achievement.

PS. That is not to say that the other two can't or won't out develop Ferrari this season and ultimately end up with the better car. The development war is going to be intense.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Messages In This Thread
Its all about the Engines - by NeilP - 26-06-2018, 03:59 PM
RE: Its all about the Engines - by Purple-banana - 27-06-2018, 09:23 AM
RE: Its all about the Engines - by Jody Barton - 27-06-2018, 11:37 AM