Q2 Tyres

Now you're asking Fog! I think that up until '95 or '96 F1 essentially had the two session qualifying format with foibles in each deacde, in the late 70's early 80's there were even qualifying engines, and yep they ran a limited number of flying laps, normally across two days (Friday and Saturday). Then around '96 / '97 they switched to the single one hour quali session designed for TV Din't work though, the best teams just sat in the garage while the slower teams cleaned the track up. Then we had variations on a theme from 2003 to 2005 with one lap quali. They never really got the format spot on, but I quite liked the principle behind it.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Don't mess with Quali. Please! 

It's about as perfect as you could get in terms of spectacle (on the TV for sure). Gentle build up, eliminate the slowest cars in Q1, next 15 do their best (or the tactical best) to reach Q1, Last 10 have two runs on fumes (on fastest tyres) to stake their claim on fastest. What is not to like about that? 

I love it. Change this format and I think Liberty will alienate a lot of fans.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

morini Wrote:Don't mess with Quali. Please!

As I said, I think it’s the part of the weekend F1 has got least wrong. Perhaps giving teams limited sets of quali tyres would help. And I don’t mean the softest compound, I mean proper qualifying tyres like we used to have. Then let the teams choose what tyres they start on. I would still like to see the top three drivers from qualifying get some points for their efforts.

morini Wrote:I love it. Change this format and I think Liberty will alienate a lot of fans.

That’s been said before, and on the whole it’s proven false. Interestingly Liberty Media are estimating that the drop in F1 viewship might be masked by pay for view TV deals. When Bernie sold F1 to Sky and other premium services around the globe viewing figures took a BIG hit. However, Liberty Media thinks these viewers, and more besides, are using illegal streams. If true I have no idea what LM’s solution to that will be. F1 coverage in Sweden is utterly dire. If I could watch Sky’s coverage I would.

(16-12-2017, 08:25 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  If I could watch Sky’s coverage I would.

I think you could legally watch sky outside the UK if you really wanted to, a lot of ex pat brits do. From what I hear they get a friend or relative who doesn't want Sky to donate their UK address, get the box installed there then take the box / viewing card to residence in France / Spain / wherever. Obviously need to get a dish / lnb installed locally. Provided the contract is paid I doubt Sky would much care.

The issue is getting permission to install dishes on buildings here in Sweden. You can do it via streaming services using proxy servers but Sky sometimes block them. Used Tunnel Bear for a while but they seemingly blocked that service. Pain in the arse. Ironically pirating / illegal streams seem to be the most reliable option. The world of ‘TV’ or broadcasting needs to adapt to the modern world, and rapidly.

(16-12-2017, 10:43 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  The issue is getting permission to install dishes on buildings here in Sweden. You can do it via streaming services using proxy servers but Sky sometimes block them. Used Tunnel Bear for a while but they seemingly blocked that service. Pain in the arse. Ironically pirating / illegal streams seem to be the most reliable option. The world of ‘TV’ or broadcasting needs to adapt to the modern world, and rapidly.

When I lived in Spain I had a similar issue, although I lived out in the sticks with little to no restriction on dishes, if I wanted uk channels I needed a dish that would not look out of place in Heathrow ...1.8 meters. I could not bring myself to install one of these dishes and went down the dodgy site route, I found an app called Mobdro for my phone then cast to my tv...brilliant,all uk channels and never let me down. (inc bt sport and sky sports)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli