Q2 Tyres

Can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind the rule which forces the top 10 drivers to start on the tyres they set their fastest lap in Q2 with, and why not Q3?

Thanks in advance  Smile

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher

I've wondered this myself, no help I'm afraid, I have no idea why? I've kinda just accepted "them's the rule's" so to speak, if Jody see's this I am pretty sure he will know, interested to find out myself. Smile

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Unashamedly robbed from elsewhere:

Often the best tyre for qualifying is not necessarily what you would ideally want to start the race on so making cars start on the same tyres they qualified on (at least for the top 10) is a sort of handicap to the top 10 runners which gives cars qualifying in 11th or worse the opportunity to use an alternative strategy to move up the order.

The reason for not using the tyres used in Q3 is that going all out on a set of tyres carries a risk of damaging them so there was always a temptation for cars which just scraped into Q3 not to bother to run at all or just putting in a token lap on the tyres they wanted to start the race on, which make the ‘cimax’ of qualifying a bit of a non-event.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 6 users Like forzaferrari's post

Cheers Forza. I didn't think about the potential Q3 'gamesmanship' aspects of it!

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 1 user Likes Purple-banana's post

Thanks Forza for the explanation.
Still, I would prefer it if they gave the teams carte blance when it comes to tire choice and usage during the weekends. Let the boys race!

(12-12-2017, 03:55 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  he reason for not using the tyres used in Q3 is that going all out on a set of tyres carries a risk of damaging them so there was always a temptation for cars which just scraped into Q3 not to bother to run at all or just putting in a token lap on the tyres they wanted to start the race on, which make the ‘cimax’ of qualifying a bit of a non-event.

I think this is also the reason teams who get into Q3 get allocated an extra set of whatever is the softest rubber that weekend. T make sure they can all do two runs on fresh rubber.

I love Quali me ;-) Best part of a race weekend.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

It's one of my favorite F1 rules.

It leaves strategy open, it still raises questions on who is actually pushing to be in the top 10 and who is putting in a lap whilst still protecting tyres. It enables those in Q3 to go balls out, no need to worry about race tyres, push as hard, as fast as you can for grid slots.

Qualifying is the only thing F1 have got right, I'm just waiting for a change nobody wanted, like the beginning of 2016. My word, that's the worst thing I've seen in sporting history. Loved the team rebellion, when the camera landed on them as they were next to be 'eliminated', they shut the car down, tyres off , driver out. Was a real 'fuck you' to management.
[+] 4 users Like Monster Hesh's post

[quote="Monster Hesh" pid='1130' dateline='1513250115'] My word, that's the worst thing I've seen in sporting history.

mmmmm I think we could have another thread for this one and while I did cheat (google) this one as had heard of it before and thankfully wasn't there to witness but I think this may beat that haha

Everett Sanchez's balls

With hindsight, Sanchez probably regrets accepting a bet from the fellow members of his golfing foursome as to whether he could wash his balls in a ball washer. Everything started well. Sanchez straddled the machine in such a way as to allow his scrotum to dangle in the machine. Then, a buddy spun the crank on the machine leaving Everitt well and truly wedged. He passed out, ripping his scrotum in the process. One ball remained in the washer, the other went through the mill, Sanchez went to casualty, his buddies were ordered from the course. To add insult to injury, Sanchez contrived during the prank to damage irreparably a new $300 driver which he had been relying upon for support.

hahaha

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 3 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

ForzaFerrari is 100% right, for me though, still not sure F1 has got it ‘right’. I’d certainly say it’s the thing F1 has got least wrong. Still would prefer quali tyres (I’m talking bubble gum here) and each driver to have 2 runs each, then the top ten given a final run. Super stressful, high pressure, it’ll lead to mixed up grids and drivers having to be right at the top of their game.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(14-12-2017, 07:40 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  (I’m talking bubble gum here) and each driver to have 2 runs each, then the top ten given a final run.

I too very much enjoy the quali at present format - and "least wrong" is probably the best we can hope for when the rules are made up by conflicting parties - but just a question Jody

Have they ever done this? - or has there ever been a time/ era - when you think the quali format better than the current one?

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever