2021 Turkish GP

This will be our second visit since F1 racing resumed in Turkey.  Last year saw a hugely entertaining wet race which was eventually won by Lewis Hamilton.  Lance Stroll took pole and led for much of the race until he stopped for tyres and then dropped way back with team mate Checo Perez taking the lead only to be caught and passed by Lewis Hamilton.  The race was full of incidents which saw Charles Leclerc close in fast on second place Perez only to make a mistake and lose out to his team mate Sebastian Vettel for the final podium position on the last corner of the race.

So what do we expect?  Well according to many Lewis Hamilton is going to possibly (which in my book means almost certainly) going to take a new engine here so that puts Max Verstappen in prime position to win the race. Last year his race was compromised by Red Bull fitting the wrong front wing component to his car.  Hamilton famously drove his intermediate tyres to a state of being slicks and won perhaps one of his best races and in the process secured the Drivers Championship from team mate Valteri Bottas.  I would assume this year the track will be a little more worn in and conditions not so slippery.  If Hamilton does start from the back I do not see him finishing see any higher than maybe 6th or 7th. He certainly will not finish 2nd like Verstappen did last race unless some major incidents happen or he gets very lucky.

Be interesting as it has all season long to see the Ferrari vs McLaren battle. I would think it will be a closely fought race for those two teams.

So what have we got to say fellow Banterers, been way to quiet on this board lately.

Postscript: I see new regulations and engines are in the process of being finalized for 2026 with the MGU-H being done away with.  This is expected to attract one of the VW manufacturers to enter F1.  It also seems that Biofuels are being discussed to cut down on emissions which to me is ridiculous.  Twenty cars running twenty to twenty five races is not even adding as much CO2 to the atmosphere as Forza does rabbiting on and on about his beloved Ferrari on an annual basis. What is all the worry about!!!!
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(05-10-2021, 04:54 AM)NeilP Wrote:  It also seems that Biofuels are being discussed to cut down on emissions which to me is ridiculous.  Twenty cars running twenty to twenty five races is not even adding as much CO2 to the atmosphere as Forza does rabbiting on and on about his beloved Ferrari on an annual basis. What is all the worry about!!!!

I would think it's much more about any progress made with fuel technology will eventually find its way into road vehicles and hence have a big impact in reducing worldwide CO2 emissions rather than savings within F1 itself. The fuel F1 cars burn during a race weekend is a very small part of the sports overall carbon footprint. Jetting staff and equipment around the globe is a far bigger factor.

Regarding Turkey, last year the track surface was a joke. Yes, it mixed up the field but really it was artificial because many teams could not get the tyres to work properly here. How much racing has happened since the last race? May be just as awful this year as well. I don't think they will change Hamiltons PU here unless they absolutely have to. I read an article somewhere, maybe Sky F1 where he stated he has been especially gentle with his engines this year. It will be impressive (and really get up Horner's nose) if he can see the season out on three.

Yes I agree it's getting more and more quiet on here. Very little I can do about that other than keep the place running and hope folk use it.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(05-10-2021, 04:54 AM)NeilP Wrote:  This will be our second visit since F1 racing resumed in Turkey. 

So what do we expect?  Well according to many Lewis Hamilton is going to possibly (which in my book means almost certainly) going to take a new engine here so that puts Max Verstappen in prime position to win the race.

(05-10-2021, 10:14 AM)morini Wrote:  I would think it's much more about any progress made with fuel technology will eventually find its way into road vehicles and hence have a big impact in reducing worldwide CO2 emissions

Yes I agree it's getting more and more quiet on here. Very little I can do about that other than keep the place running and hope folk use it.

Some memory you have Neil, think my lifestyle might have affected mine. Wink

We all knew Lewis would need another engine as its been spoken about for weeks, I just don't get it with Mercedes though, I'd have thought the minute Max/Red bull took one on Sochi they would do the same, started one place ahead of Max getting it out of the way at the same time, still what do I know.

The eco/green fuels Porsche & others are developing, wont they be better than electric bollox cars? if the fuel is as green as hoped it seems daft the way Governments are promoting them, again what do I know.

Thing is I'm a bit nervous/hesitant to promote Banter as (1) I feel I should ask members if I should first & (2) what happens if it rocks the boat, all kicks off so to speak, Paddyb & Black found us & fit in, get on well & contribute, hope others would but who can tell.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(05-10-2021, 02:23 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  We all knew Lewis would need another engine as its been spoken about for weeks

Nobody knows that for sure apart from the guys inside Merc. I would agree it is highly likely he will need one (as will just about everyone), but I wouldn't do it here unless its urgent.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(05-10-2021, 03:19 PM)morini Wrote:  
(05-10-2021, 02:23 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  We all knew Lewis would need another engine as its been spoken about for weeks

Nobody knows that for sure apart from the guys inside Merc.

I would agree it is highly likely he will need one (as will just about everyone), but I wouldn't do it here unless its urgent.

Yeah, as you said in another post I'd love to see the look on short spice & the Helmut *If* Mercedes/Lewis can get away without one.

From what it says online they are considering it as it may rain, as you say only Mercedes really know.

Istanbul Park (Turkey) weather - Met Office

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Theres these article Neil

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/artic...8Qgi2.html

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/artic...J8okc.html

Hopefully kill these bullshit EV's dead in the water.

Very interesting for sure. Thanks for the links.

My feelings on the subject are pretty straight forward. The amount of money being spent by F1 on this fuel development is disproportionate to the actual savings on carbon emissions. The whole notion that F1 is trying to play its part saving the planet is in simple terms a joke.

I personally feel it is not the role of a sport to define the future of the motor industry. There are many better people to develop such fuels and have a much more lasting effect on the market place. That would be the oil producers, fuel convertors and indeed all vehicle manufacturers.

Dont even get me started on this whole BS electric cars by year &&&& many countries are spouting. Not enough power grids and production to keep up with demand, not enough lithium in the world to produce the batteries and lets not even talk about disposal.

Hybrids are the next step and possibly the future and I feel F1 has already contributed more than its fair share on that front.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(05-10-2021, 09:13 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Very interesting for sure. Thanks for the links.

My feelings on the subject are pretty straight forward. The amount of money being spent by F1 on this fuel development is disproportionate to the actual savings on carbon emissions.  The whole notion that F1 is trying to play its part saving the planet is in simple terms a joke.

Not sure I 100% agree. These days F1 engine development has a lot to do with fuel. As a sport F1 pushes boundaries and the innovation born of the sport always finds it way into mainstream automotive manufacture eventually.

(05-10-2021, 09:13 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I personally feel it is not the role of a sport to define the future of the motor industry. There are many better people to develop such fuels and have a much more lasting effect on the market place. That would be the oil producers, fuel convertors and indeed all vehicle manufacturers.

The F1 works teams have worked closely with fuel chemists for decades. If the sport accelerates innovation and that innovation makes for cleaner fuel then I am all for it.

(05-10-2021, 09:13 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Dont even get me started on this whole BS electric cars by year &&&& many countries are spouting. Not enough power grids and production to keep up with demand, not enough lithium in the world to produce the batteries and lets not even talk about disposal.

Here I am 100% with you. I've said it before but at the risk of repeating the obvious, while there are (any) coal fired power stations in existence then electric cars cannot claim to be clean. They may be "clean" at the point of consumption of the energy but if some of the supply chain is buring coal then it makes a mockery of the whole argument. Agree on the battery logistics as well.

(05-10-2021, 09:13 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Hybrids are the next step and possibly the future and I feel F1 has already contributed more than its fair share on that front.

The UK government has already outlawed hybrids from 2030. They've put all our eggs in the EV basket. I would think hydrogen is the most optimistic avenue longer term. In the meantime, if F1 can help make existing internal combustion engines emit a lot less CO2 then I think that is a worthwhile exercise.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Leclerc takes the penalty for a new engine. Well, Mercedes is building this thing up what they will do with Hamilton.
I can't believe that they don't do it. Maybe they wait till Mexico and hope covid will cancel that race (or more so they don't need to, but what a risk to take).

Very interesting going into this race. Really don't dare to make any predictions. Well, I dare but it would not mean much...

If Hamilton starts in the back, I say around P7 to end, P5 at best.
In that case Verstappen has a mighty position to claim the victory. Norris, Bottas and Perez fighting for the remaining podium places and this time Perez could come out on top for a change (let me just make it a bit colourful).
Saintz will be there but no real problem for the big boys. Ricciardo is more of an enigma to me.
Astin Martin might have a good day but I hope for Gasly being back fighting behind the top dogs again.

Very, very intriguing race ahead of us.

Got to have a 27B-6.
[+] 3 users Like Antilochos's post

According to Sky practise feed Hamilton will take a 4th PU this weekend. 10 place penalty.

That may make Sunday fun to watch. If he can start 10th or 11th may well still be on the podium.