2021 Russian GP

So, after the 'Madness at Monza' we move on to Sochi in Russia. I am pretty sure the circuit is not well liked here with the Banter crowd.  The race here started in 2014 and every single race has been won by Mercedes with Hamilton 4 wins, Bottas 2 wins and Rosberg 1 win.

As with Monza you would have to think Mercedes are again here the favourites but as with Monza anything can happen in any race as has been proven before.  As with so many F1 races the first corner is hugely important with the 2nd and 3rd place cars getting a huge tow along one of the longest 'straights' on the calandar  (I think only Baku is longer but I may be wrong my ageing memory is just that... ageing!)

I think it will be a little interesting in the top 10. I see a Mercedes vs Red Bull battle along with a Ferrari vs McLaren battle being the highlights.  McLaren looked pretty strong at Monza and I was impressed with their straight line speed as demonstrated by Ricciardo holding off Verstappen with it must be said little difficulty.

Tyre life is exceptional here so a one stop (Barring rain) is an absolute certainty with the decison do I go medium or soft to start the race probably uppermost in the minds of the strategists.

I dont hate this race as much as I do others, at least there are some overtaking possibilities even outside the rush to the first true corner.  However it is rarely an exciting race and more a grind the result out race.

Looking forward to you guys thoughts.
[+] 5 users Like NeilP's post

I don't hate this track that much. Certainly not one of my favourite and I would not miss it when gone, but still it can provide some racing. Especially this year with the different teams closer to each other.

But I don't see a lot of battle between Mercedes and Red Bull happening. This track suits Mercedes to much for Perez to fight them in a Red Bull while Verstappen could fight them, but gets a grid penalty and most likely change his engine so starts in the back.

Mercedes taking 1 and 2. Perez fighting against McLaren (and I think Norris takes another podium).
Verstappen fighting his way trough the field and takes some points like P6.

Got to have a 27B-6.
[+] 5 users Like Antilochos's post

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/for...2021-09-26

Sochi, the weekends weather.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 6 users Like PapaofGags's post

Ferrari has confirmed it will debut the updated hybrid system on its Formula 1 power unit at this weekend’s Russian Grand Prix, resigning Charles Leclerc to a grid penalty.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ferrar...p/6672699/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Dayum, that predicted rain. Windy app has it red for Saturday.....

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(22-09-2021, 06:56 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Dayum, that predicted rain. Windy app has it red for Saturday.....

Yeah weather looks awful, hoping they learnt from the SPA debacle......     Dodgy

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(22-09-2021, 07:10 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  
(22-09-2021, 06:56 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Dayum, that predicted rain. Windy app has it red for Saturday.....

Yeah weather looks awful, hoping they learnt from the SPA debacle......     Dodgy

Rumour has it that if they cannot qualify or race this weekend half points will be awarded with Red Bull and Max Verstappen being given the race win for having the biggest dickhead for a team principle. Mercedes will take second place with Lewis Hamilton and the sympathy vote and final podium will be awarded to Ferrari and Charles Leclerc
[+] 5 users Like NeilP's post

Well as expected Mercedes dominated first day of practice. Bottas free from any worry about his future performed really well, he seems to like this circuit.  Hamilton very close behind but again screwing up his "Magic" buttons.

Verstappen has taken a complete set of new components and will start at the back of the pack hoping to come through and get as high as he can. I think he will do well to get into the top six.

Heavy rain forecast for tomorrow and qualifying.  If for any reason qualifying cannot be completed the P2 times will be the starting grid.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

I see Red Bull have decided to change Max Verstappen's engine. The 3 place penalty he picked up for his kamikaze pass at Monza should be carried over to the next race. Not really fair to avoid a grid penalty in this way. Changing a PU and his on track mistake at Monza are different infringements and it shouldn't be allowed to serve them in one go.

I hope the FIA can see that this is taking the piss.

(24-09-2021, 03:44 PM)NeilP Wrote:  If for any reason qualifying cannot be completed the P2 times will be the starting grid.

That will be a last resort. Normally they will do qualification on a Sunday morning rather than use P2 times.
[+] 1 user Likes black's post

So you would like the rulebook to be re-written to suit your favoured driver?.......Would you say the same should the roles be reversed in the future?....I think not!

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post