2021 Dutch GP

If I am honest I found the race quite dull, much like some of the others where overtaking seems to be near impossible, only Neil in the Chat stopped me from nodding off.

The banks look spectacular but don't really do anything for the racing and cause havoc whenever there is any form of incident, the short lap times meant that responding to a clever bit of strategy was never much more than a minute away. I feel good for the Nederlanders (not sure if Dutch is any better than calling the country Holland but Anti will enlighten us) and for Verstappen who both deserved a good day out and got it, but it won't be a race I look forward to next year, any more than I do with Monaco.

Sorry Anti, I agree with everything else you said other than it was an interesting race. I suspect that the reason all the middle teams were quite as close as they were was that no one other than Perez (who was out of position as you say) could make any significant headway once the bottom order cars were cleared.

Perez is going to have to up his game if RBR want to get anywhere near the constructors championship.

At least we had a race of sorts which is more than can be said for last week. I am still amazed that there weren't any safety cars or red flags given the rest of the weekend.

Looking forward to a more competitive Sunday next week.
[+] 3 users Like PaddyB's post

Well, I used the word interesting, not exciting. This track is gold for qualifying but shite for racing. The interesting part mainly is the pressure between all the midfield teams and surprises it had for me.

A strategic issue I saw but did not register in my brain or something until Paddy pointed it out is indeed the shortness of the track. That took out a lot of the power Mercedes could have with the two cars.

You can call me how you like, I don't care much. Dutch is the right name and The Netherlands is the country. Holland is often used but not correct. Holland are like two provinces and the more sensitive types in other provinces take offense from it sometimes.
I also don't care much for the whole nationality part in sport. I prefer watching F1 in German since the Dutch and British commentators both are (not willingly) very biased towards one of the two main championship contenders. That I enjoy watching Verstappen right now is only because he is a great driver and is style of driving I like. Just like I enjoy watching many other drivers, but right now I think he is the best.

Anyway, I believe Monza is next. I think we all looking forward to see how this championship battle continues.
Just don't hope for further stupid crashes or that one of those two drivers gets Covid.

Got to have a 27B-6.
[+] 5 users Like Antilochos's post

Well I just finished watching the race, I have to say this is one of the best circuits to watch on board footage.......as for actual racing, well there wasnt much of that going on, Max and Lewis in a class of their own, Bottas shafted as per usual (I wish he had the balls to reply "James, its Valtteri, f*ck you" or by completing that final sector for fastest lap)....a few good manoeuvres and battles further back but all in all....meh!

So after weeks of speculation on how badly Lewis would be treated by the orange army........tumbleweeds, nothing, nada. Well done Dutchies.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 5 users Like forzaferrari's post

Congrats to Max & the orange army the winners today.   Cool

Max wins again & didn't put a foot wrong, I cant begin to imagine the pressure he felt, took it in his stride & produced the goods when under maximum pressure, class drive.

Well when Lewis got within 1.2s I started to hope, so there was a little edge of the chair for a short while, at least he made it exciting because as others have said it was a class of two today.

No idea how Perez got DOTD in my view it was Gasly.

Mega qualifying pity it is so hard to overtake, I had high hopes that with the banked last curve overtaking might be easier, who knows maybe easier next year with the new cars.

What can we say about the orange army, think they won a lot of fans over today, as a bloke who used to like jumping up & down all night back in the day, these guys/girls know how to party, rave on dudes.   Beer

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 5 users Like PapaofGags's post

(05-09-2021, 08:31 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Well, I used the word interesting, not exciting. This track is gold for qualifying but shite for racing. The interesting part mainly is the pressure between all the midfield teams and surprises it had for me.

A strategic issue I saw but did not register in my brain or something until Paddy pointed it out is indeed the shortness of the track. That took out a lot of the power Mercedes could have with the two cars.

You can call me how you like, I don't care much. Dutch is the right name and The Netherlands is the country. Holland is often used but not correct. Holland are like two provinces and the more sensitive types in other provinces take offense from it sometimes.
I also don't care much for the whole nationality part in sport. I prefer watching F1 in German since the Dutch and British commentators both are (not willingly) very biased towards one of the two main championship contenders. That I enjoy watching Verstappen right now is only because he is a great driver and is style of driving I like. Just like I enjoy watching many other drivers, but right now I think he is the best.

Anyway, I believe Monza is next. I think we all looking forward to see how this championship battle continues.
Just don't hope for further stupid crashes or that one of those two drivers gets Covid.

So Dutch and The Netherlands it is. Nothing like an ignorant Brit like me to get it wrong!

I absolutely root for my own countrymen but I like to at least think I am fair minded in all I do. Some of my most favourites sportsmen and women are not from the UK.  I know some of you guys have probably not watched any American Ice hockey but my favourite was a guy called Pavel Datsyuk a Russian; seen him live many times and have a large signed photo on my lounge wall.  You dont have to be a hockey fan to appreciate these skills:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVHZWbSfWb8

I digress (and await punishment from the Boss when he returns). I think its nip and tuck all season long betwen these two great drivers. Not often I agree with Forza but today was further proof these two are simply in a class of their own right now and I think if they swapped cars it would be no different such is their abilities.

Remind me again why we are changing everything for next season!!!
[+] 5 users Like NeilP's post

We're back home safely.

I didn't manage to avoid hearing the results of quali or the race. Is it worth watching? Sounded quite processional so I'm not sure whether to watch it or not.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Def not an exciting race buddy but some of the on board shots are great.....if you have sod all to watch it will pass a couple of hours. Enjoy the break?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(08-09-2021, 10:38 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Enjoy the break?

Yeah, we had a nice time and the weather was generally very good. A couple of overcast days but the only rain we saw was on the day we were driving from Scotland down to Yorkshire. It cleared up South of Glasgow thankfully.

I updated the "Scotland Road Trip" page on blog. <it isn't interesting though> Laughing
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

That might spoil your weekend......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-me...e-58559255
[+] 2 users Like PaddyB's post

(14-09-2021, 04:51 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  That might spoil your weekend......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-me...e-58559255

Sure is a good story for down the boozer the following weekend though  Wink

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post