2021 Belgian GP

Looking forward to this round, one of my favourite circuits......and it marks the end of the long summer shutdown.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Yeah, great circuit, no doubt about that.

So, who's your money on? Red Bull looked the fastest car all year yet somehow Mercedes have kept themselves in it. Be interesting to see how Max Verstappen copes with the real pressure that goes with a title bid. Nobody has seen that yet.

Will Red Bull decide to take engine penalties here? Probably sensible given they will certainly take them somewhere in the second half of the season.
[+] 4 users Like black's post

Its hard to look past Merc for this round, I still think it will be swings & roundabouts for the rest of the season. As much as RBR have raised their game this year I believe Merc is the team to beat and we will see Lewis coming out on top yet again (unfortunately)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

(21-08-2021, 12:18 PM)black Wrote:  Yeah, great circuit, no doubt about that.
So, who's your money on? Red Bull looked the fastest car all year yet somehow Mercedes have kept themselves in it. Be interesting to see how Max Verstappen copes with the real pressure that goes with a title bid. Nobody has seen that yet.
Will Red Bull decide to take engine penalties here? Probably sensible given they will certainly take them somewhere in the second half of the season.
(21-08-2021, 12:46 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Its hard to look past Merc for this round, I still think it will be swings & roundabouts for the rest of the season. As much as RBR have raised their game this year I believe Merc is the team to beat and we will see Lewis coming out on top yet again (unfortunately)

Well I'm obviously hoping Lewis comes out on top at SPA (also think one of the best tracks) because I cant see past a Max win in the Netherlands, the orange army will be out in numbers so it should be fun at both races.

I saw an article that said "engine change for Max" then the same day "no engine change for Max" not long to wait now.

I can't say who has the better car it seems to swap around every few races like Forza says.

I'm a Brit Lewis fan & want him to win, but if Max does I'll congratulate him as WDC, does he have the minerals?
time will tell.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

Not only the best track of the season but also the most unpredictable with the weather.....it can be dry at the bottom but wet at the top and vice verse...think Merc start as fav but young mutton lips will give it a go....Ferrari could be  dark horse here as could McLaren.....if Lewis and Mutton start on the front row they could both be out before Eau Rouge....can't wait.

Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls.
[+] 4 users Like pennywise's post

(21-08-2021, 04:01 PM)pennywise Wrote:  Not only the best track of the season

Debatable...., but definitely right up there.

Going to go next year. Covid stopped me for the last two years.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

Too close to call between RBR and Mercedes for me. Mercedes going for the hattrick here (Hit the Max out of the race). But seriously I think Red Bulls engine has exhibited more power this year than the Mercedes engine. If I am Red Bull I take a new engine here there is no way they will get throught without taking penalties and a new engine here would give them a slight advantage I feel. I am never sure pole is that great of a thing to have here. It seems very easy to get passed with the huge tow down the Kimmel straight. Overtaking here is not too difficult certainly not down the straight but not so easy at other parts of the circuit. I think if anyone breaks clear by 4/5 seconds they are pretty safe all things being equal.

Despite their domination of the turbo hybrid era Mercedes have (only) won four out the seven races here. Two wins in there for Ferrari and a surprising win for Daniel Ricciardo in the Red Bull in 2014. It will be interesting to see how Max's wheel to wheel racing goes especially if he is up against Hamilton. I think he realizes Hamilton is not going to make any allowences for him from now on; at least not whilst the race for the Championship is so close and nor should he.

Wondering if we are going to get an announcment from Mercedes as to their second driver this week, I thought we would have heard by now. I am also surprised we have not heard about Perez either. I am sure Mercedes would not want to lose Russell to their arch rival!!!!!

Understand the reasons for the break but I do not like it one bit Smile
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(21-08-2021, 10:14 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I am never sure pole is that great of a thing to have here.

Absolutely isn't a great thing to have pole here, far from it. But Hamilton has shown he knows how to protect it if he has to.

My money would still be on Mercedes at Spa. I'm not convinced the Honda engine has made great strides really. The lap time gains have a lot more to do with the fact the high rake Red Bull has much more mechanical grip and they can afford to run everywhere with much lower downforce than Mercedes. Plus the early races where they ran the flexi rear wing flattered them a lot. Mercedes will be strong second half of the season (Hamilton always is).
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(21-08-2021, 10:27 PM)morini Wrote:  
(21-08-2021, 10:14 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I am never sure pole is that great of a thing to have here. 

Absolutely isn't a great thing to have pole here

My money would still be on Mercedes at Spa. I'm not convinced the Honda engine has made great strides really. The lap time gains have a lot more to do with the fact the high rake Red Bull has much more mechanical grip and they can afford to run everywhere with much lower downforce than Mercedes. Plus the early races where they ran the flexi rear wing flattered them a lot. Mercedes will be strong second half of the season (Hamilton always is).

Agree pole can get you overtaken as history shows, as Lewis fan 2nd or even 3rd would be ok, pole as we all know leaves you vulnerable.

Truth is I don't know who is favorite, we've been making predictions here, will as Ian predicts Max & Lewis *come together* at Eau Rouge.... or......Les Combes......or Blanchimont...... exciting init.     Tongue

I fecking love F1  Big Grin

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

I think Ferrari might be dark horses here. They are talking about an engine upgrade and Spa would be the perfect place to introduce it. Possibly the best driver pairing on the grid too (in terms of having two very fast and closely matched drivers).

It would be nice to see Ferrari at the front again. I am in no way a fan, but it has been hard to watch them struggling since fuel gate. F1 needs the red team consistently in the fight.
[+] 4 users Like black's post