Lewis, Christian & the top 4 F1 drivers.

(04-12-2017, 08:07 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  fair play bud, again not to labour the point as with Morini, I respect your opinion very much, but another reason I think Alonso edges it, though to be honest I think it's hard to put a piece of paper between them in terms of talent, Lewis has a bit more one lap speed, but Nando is super consistent - Lewis raised his game this year, but I think he's shown over the years that you can unsettle him - I've never seen this from Nando - even when he had the team boss Ron and Lewis to deal with, he held his own, and when a the SF boss criticised him he again went out on track and showed him just what he can do, similarly again with the difficult Honda years,

I get everyone has a different perspective on these incidents in Fernando's career (Morini/Chloe, haha) but I think Nando's unflappable nature is my reason for putting him first, but again like I said the difference in strengths and weaknesses is paper thin Smile

theoretical scenario - would Lewis have won this WDC, if Nico was still there? And would Nando have won if he was in this years Ferrari? Smile

To question 1, yeah I think Lewis would've beaten Nico. No question, Nico himself has said that Lewis' driving at times this year was on another level, in fact all drivers have said as much. Nando himself said that Lewis' driving this year was at times, and I quote "amazing". PS I think Merc would've called team orders by Canada given the Ferrari threat and the gap to Vettel would've essentially been bigger, because I think Nico would have taken way more points off of Seb than Bottas.

Would he have still won had Alonso been in the Ferrari? Honestly? Yes. It'd have been closer, but I think Lewis and Merc had enough. Arguably some of the tracks where Ferrari were strong are the same tracks where Alonso historically been weak... so the season would have panned out very differently no question.

For the record I think it is very difficult to separate Nando and Lewis, I happen to like Nando... a lot. I have a signed Renault cap (Alonso for the record!!!) and I really think he deserves more than the 2 WDC's he has. But right now, at the levels they've both shown in the recent past, I say Lewis edges it, just. And I mean just. I'm not a Nando hater by any means, I really, really rate him, always have and always will.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Yeah I totally agree, Lewis would've beaten Nico, but would he have won the WDC?  My hypothetical was based more on the idea that Nando wouldn't have had the brain farts that Seb had, and that Nico could've taken more points off Lewis than Valteri was capable of doing, team orders between those two would be very difficult given the rivalry, and Nico has showed that he could more regularly match Lewis on quali, so thus again making team orders more difficult, and given 2016, I don't think either would've given any quarter on track - it may have ended in tears, more often than not

I think the needle between the two would've played a factor, while allowing Fernando a cleaner run at it, but hey, that's why it's hypothetical - we'll never know Smile

also on the cap front - git, haha, I have the cap, but may have to forge the signature myself - haha

and I know by now there's only one driver you hate, I think he's French, Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

I don’t hate Grosjean, he’s not important enough for that, I just don’t like him. He thinks he’s better than he is. I also don’t like his defeatist attitude at times and the fact he never takes responsibility for anything. It’s always som3body else’s fault / the car / act of God. Just don’t like him.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(04-12-2017, 10:17 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I don’t hate Grosjean, he’s not important enough for that, I just don’t like him. He thinks he’s better than he is. I also don’t like his defeatist attitude at times and the fact he never takes responsibility for anything. It’s always som3body else’s fault / the car / act of God. Just don’t like him.

I'm not keen either, but I was never really sure exactly why - until i read this! Bang on how I feel too. Same goes for Magnussen for me too.

On the cap front, while I was at flight school in 2008, a friend of mine worked for Mercedes when Lewis visited the factory. Knowing I was a massive F1 fan, he got me a signed cap and a personalised photo signed "good luck in your pilot training, Lewis" or something like that. They'll always be treasured items, it's just a shame I have gone off the guy a bit since then!!!

I met Nico Rosberg after the 2008 British GP too, got a piccy and his autograph - but only on a piece of paper, no merchandise to hand

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 3 users Like Purple-banana's post

Grosjean at, I think it was Canada was talking about driving for Ferrari one day, and being in the frame for the 2018 drive... Räikkönen was in the shot and just smirked. The fact he thinks he’s in with a shot at a Ferrari seat just sums him up. There are what... 18 current F1 drivers ahead of him in the queue? ?

Sorry couldn’t resist the dig, but it is well known they want Leclerc in the Ferrari ASAP, and are monitoring Hamilton, Verstappen, Sainz and Danny Ric. There is no way Grosjean is getting a drive at Ferrari, but the fact he’s always banging on about it just sums the guy up perfectly.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Have to agree with Lewis on the top four... this year Daniel Ricciardo struggled to match Max Verstappen in terms of pace! A lot of races he qualified up to half a second behind.

(05-12-2017, 07:30 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Grosjean at, I think it was Canada was talking about driving for Ferrari one day, and being in the frame for the 2018 drive... Räikkönen was in the shot and just smirked. The fact he thinks he’s in with a shot at a Ferrari seat just sums him up. There are what... 18 current F1 drivers ahead of him in the queue? ?

Sorry couldn’t resist the dig, but it is well known they want Leclerc in the Ferrari ASAP, and are monitoring Hamilton, Verstappen, Sainz and Danny Ric. There is no way Grosjean is getting a drive at Ferrari, but the fact he’s always banging on about it just sums the guy up perfectly.

Groesjean winds me up as well. Seems to have a very inflated opinion of himself but hasn't exactly delivered on the results front. I don't think he'll be in F1 that much longer, but there are a couple I'd boot out ahead of him. Ericsson, Magnussen to name but two.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 2 users Like The Professor's post

Wouldn’t disagree with either of those two being booted out Professor. Give Stroll his extra season, and if there’s no sizeable improvement, boot him out too.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(13-12-2017, 09:43 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Wouldn’t disagree with either of those two being booted out Professor. Give Stroll his extra season, and if there’s no sizeable improvement, boot him out too.

As we've all said at some point, simply not enough teams on the grid. It's mad to see us lot bickering about who should be kicked out to make room for the next Max Verstappen Get another couple (or three) viable teams on the grid and we could see some talented guys coming through.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(15-12-2017, 08:14 PM)morini Wrote:  
(13-12-2017, 09:43 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Wouldn’t disagree with either of those two being booted out Professor. Give Stroll his extra season, and if there’s no sizeable improvement, boot him out too.

As we've all said at some point, simply not enough teams on the grid. It's mad to see us lot bickering about who should be kicked out to make room for the next Max Verstappen Get another couple (or three) viable teams on the grid and we could see some talented guys coming through.

In one way a agree, in the other I think there are enough teams, but other interests prevent teams from getting the best drivers.
Interests like a need of funds, dependency towards sponsers, etc. But then again, that is how the world works and we are not willing to pay thousands of [fill in the currency of choice] for tickets, pay per view, etc.