2022 Driver Line Ups

(04-09-2021, 10:39 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  With Stroll not yet confirmed at Aston Martin, I'm fearing he's the one going to Merc, with Russel to AM...

Please.............. just no.    Dodgy

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel

(05-09-2021, 02:17 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  
(04-09-2021, 10:39 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  With Stroll not yet confirmed at Aston Martin, I'm fearing he's the one going to Merc, with Russel to AM...

Please.............. just no.    Dodgy

Relax, sit back and take a deep breath.  There is more chance of Forza kissing Hamiltons Jock strap!
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNQwvM20...kySportsF1

haha. Fears lessening : P

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

So, we have the 2022 driver line ups complete and looking at them I feel it is a very strong field. At this stage we do not know what the cars will be like but that certainly adds to the excitement.

Mercedes: Got stronger for sure. Russell is going to push Hamilton very hard indeed in my opinion. I think this guy is a future WDC and will probably take over from Hamilton as the number one British driver. Hamilton remains strong. I fear Hamilton will lose far more points to Russell than Verstappen to Perez which could be a huge factor next season.

Red Bull: Same old line up. I really think Gasly should be in the second seat but clearly his days with Red Bull are numbered. This is a very long shot indeed and I would appreciate Forza's input as our resident Ferrari expert but Gasly to me has Ferrari driver of the future written all over him.

Ferrari: Same as this year. Just a great pairing with LeClerc and Sainz both very capable drivers and if Ferrari can get their car up with the other top teams I see them getting many more podiums in 2022. I give Leclerc a slight advantage over his team mate.

McLaren: Same as this year. A really solid line up. Again as a British fan I have loved watching Lando Norris this season. He and Russell are going to give British motor fans a lot to cheer about in the coming year. I have Russell as being a slightly better prospect due to his drive at Mercedes. Like many would like to see him in a top car (but absolutely not Red Bull). I am hoping like Ferrari that McLaren can make a jump with their car for 2022.

Alpine: Same as last year. I have to be honest I had very little expectations from this team this season but both Ocon and Alonso have done well considering their cars abilities. I am not sure this is ever going to be anything other than ahigh midfield team. The days of Renault engines being so good seem to be a long way behind and proof if proof were needed just because you are an engine manufacturer it means very little in performance and results terms.

Alpha Tauri AKA Red Bull II: Same as last year. Gasly could well be the most improved driver on the grid with the possible exception of Norris. Red Bull have really screwed up their drivers in recent years and I think they may well come to regret treating Gasly as poorly as they did. Hey, that is the way they operate. They are essentially a one man team in the top team for sure. Not loving Tsunoda but can you write him off in one year, that would be harsh. He has had some good moments. That said I think he is there because of where he comes from and to create marketability for Red Bull.

Aston Martin: Same as last year. I was expecting more from the team. I think both Vettel and Stroll have got as much out of the car as perhaps it had to give. The team are nowhere near as strong as they were under VJ Mallya but I feel this year was a reset for them and like Mercedes works team they suffered from a regulation change at the start of 2021. Looking for better next season but who knows.

Williams: Weaker than last year for sure. That is however inevitable with the loss of George Russell. His seat is surprisingly taken by Alexander Albon. I personally had high hopes for him; a view that is not really shared by my fellower Banterers. He is back in F1 that is about all I can say for him as Williams are a shadow of what they once were. Latifi retains his seat I am guessing due to his financial backing because to me he is not an F1 driver but in an F2 performing car its hard to make that assumption!!!

Alfa Romeo AKA Ferrari II: The only team to bring in two new drivers for 2022. My feeling is they are stronger but only just. Replacing one Finn with another in Bottas who I think will help develop the car and bring some speed to the team. In Guanyu Zhou who knows. Like some of what I have seen of him in F2 but I get the feeling like Tsunoda he is there because of where he comes from (rather than his abilities) and the interest that will create.

Haas AKA Ferrari III. Same old line up. I really wanted to see Schumacher at Alfa in 2022 I feel he has very little to gain from being in such a poor car. I feel bad for Haas they started really well and have just constantly declined. Clearly they just do not have the money to compete and I get the feeling this is the next team that will sell out to a consortium very probably American backed. As for Mazapin, he is there for the money he brings he absolutely does not belong in F1. I personally dont need to see another season of him to make that call.

There we go. That is what we have to look forward to driverwise for 2022.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

F1 2022 driver rankings, as voted by the drivers.

1. Max Verstappen

2. Charles Leclerc

=3. Lewis Hamilton

=3. George Russell

5. Lando Norris

6. Fernando Alonso

7. Carlos Sainz

=8. Alex Albon

=8. Sergio Perez

=8. Sebastian Vettel

[Votes calculated from 19 of the 20 full-time drivers, with Lewis Hamilton not taking part]

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

The top 10 driver list in full, as voted for by the 2022 team principals.

1. Max Verstappen – 207 points

2. Charles Leclerc – 144

3. George Russell – 127

4. Lewis Hamilton – 100

5. Sergio Perez – 91

6. Lando Norris – 81

7. Carlos Sainz – 68

8. Fernando Alonso – 67

9. Valtteri Bottas – 29

10. Sebastian Vettel – 24

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Interesting article on the BBC by David Coulthard today.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/64257580

What do we make of this?  Personally I would love to see Danny Ricc back but do we really think Red Bull are about to put a watching brief on Sergio Perez and his performances...  I don't think so. Does this really have anything to do with a Verstappen power play at the team?
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

I too would love to see DRicc back in a race seat, but short of Checo properly cocking things up I just dont see him getting another chance to go head to head with Max.....Checo is a decent wingman who knows his place within the RBR team.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post