2021 Hungarian GP

(01-08-2021, 09:18 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Confirmed... They've DSQ'ed Seb Vettel. I'm seriously unhappy about that.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vette...ssion=true

Nooooo.

Bloody stupid rule.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

Well, I guess a rule is a rule and there it is in Black and White in the Regulations but it does seem overly harsh in my opinion.

I find it pathetic that 4 drivers were reprimanded for wearing inappropriate T shirts during the Hungarian National Anthem. Yet last week has been full of inappropriate and indeed in my book slanderous comments made from certain members of a certain team and the FIA....... ***CRICKETS***

EDIT: Red Bull to appeal the decision because Seb used to be one of us!!!!
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

Reading why it's 1L, that's the minimum amount of fuel they need to perform their chemical tests to ensure the fuel used in the race is legal. If they can't perform the tests they can not verify the fuel used was legal. Man, that's a super harsh ruling, but there is no other recourse. They can't confirm legality of the car.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

Vettels DSQ means Ferrari are now level with McLaren in third place in the constructors but the best news (From a British perspective) is that Williams get extra points too and probably enough already to finish in 8th place in the WCC which will mean more money Smile

(01-08-2021, 09:27 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Reading why it's 1L, that's the minimum amount of fuel they need to perform their chemical tests to ensure the fuel used in the race is legal. If they can't perform the tests they can not verify the fuel used was legal. Man, that's a super harsh ruling, but there is no other recourse. They can't confirm legality of the car.

I doubt they actually need a litre for testing, but I understand the rationale. I'm glad Seb didn't get past Ocon as that would be doubly gutting for him if he lost a race win.

Perhaps that 1L regulation needs rewriting? Either that or the teams run baffles in the fuel tanks so when they do run out there is always the 1L in the baffles.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(01-08-2021, 09:23 PM)NeilP Wrote:  EDIT: Red Bull to appeal the decision because Seb used to be one of us!!!!

Heheh. Nice one Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Fascinating race for many reasons. The pile up at the first corner was shockingly bad driving from Bottas and to a lesser degree Stroll. I think Stroll was trying to avoid what was going on in front of him.

My hatred for Red Bull has grown out of proportion this week so I am so happy in my inner self to see what happened to them as a team. I am not a guy to say the "right thing" at the right time unless your name is Anna Kournikova!!!! That said I do have some sympathy for Max Verstappen he was completely blameless and could do nothing about what happened to him.

Like him, rate him, loathe him or hate him I do not know how you cannot be anything but thrilled for Esteban Ocon and his first (and quite possibly his only) Grand Prix victory. As often happens when carnage ensues someone is there to take advantage. It is usually one of the better performing cars but today on that race track and with so many front runners out of the race one way or another it was his turn. That said he owes a massive thank you to his team mate Fernando Alonso for the absolutely stellar job he did holding Hamilton off for as long as he did. That proven to my small minded self he still has it in him to be a damn good F1 driver even at 40 years of age.

What a strange restart to a race. I have never seen or heard of a race restarting like that before it was crazy. Did Mercedes screw up, maybe, maybe not. As I said previously his pit box was at the very start of the pit lane and if he had boxed how would he have even got out? He would in all probability been held back maybe even until the last car passed his pit stop or risked a penalty for an unsafe release. Nevertheless it was another great drive by him to get back into the race and I truly believe if he had passed Alonso 1 lap or may be 2 laps sooner he would have caught and passed Vettel and Ocon and won the race.

Talking of Vettel I know the rules are the rules but should that really be a DQ? I do not think so myself. I think how much fuel you have in the tank is an irrelevance really and if you think a team is cheating then maybe you should test their fuel BEFORE the race starts. Perhaps in Parc Ferme. I mean how difficult is that to achieve.

With so many of the top drivers out it was a great opportunity for the lesser teams to get some points and of them all Williams probably were the most thrilled. It was quite possible they would have gone through the whole season with zero points but today they got great drives of opportunity from Latifi and Russell and now have 10 points. That could be enough to secure 8th place already. COULD. Strange that Russell is unquestionably the better of the two Williams driver but Latifi beat him mainly again due to the luck of being in the right place at the right time and making a good decision. One thing that should be commented on was Russells selflessness. When Latifi was in 3rd place and Russell some way back he radioed the team and told them not to worry about his race but to focus on Nicholas. That says everything about George Russell. Good points too for Alpha Tauri although their car is much better than Williams in my view.

Now we get the mid season break (Thank goodness you guys love cricket as much as I do!!!). The battle at the front is very close but i still give Max Verstappen the edge with his car over Hamilton but I want to see some wheel to wheel with these guys its far from over between them but iw ant to see what if any the effects of the last two races are with Verstappen. The Constructors is also a toss up. Not convinced as I keep saying about Perez. Not his fault today but the gap between him and his team mate is pretty close to what it was between both Gasly and Verstappen and to a lesser degree Albon and Verstappen.

The Ferrari and McLaren rivalry is as close as it is possible to be for 3rd place and who will come out on top at the end of the day is impossible to call. Moving on one has to wonder what if any effect Bottas and Russell race today will have on Toto Wolffs decision making process for who is Mercedes number 2 driver next year. Personal opinion based on no knowledge but body language and eye movement observed I think he has already decided and it is going to be Russell. That is what most fans of the sport and Mercedes want to see and with no disrespect (unlike Forza and Papa who think Bottas should apply for a job with DHL) I think that would be in the best interests of the team both short term and long term. I think Russell is a game changer and possible future WDC. Bottas had more thna his fair opportunity and simply put he was just not good enough but then ( Got my fanboy hat on now) who would be against Hamilton!!!

(01-08-2021, 10:01 PM)morini Wrote:  
(01-08-2021, 09:27 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Reading why it's 1L, that's the minimum amount of fuel they need to perform their chemical tests to ensure the fuel used in the race is legal. If they can't perform the tests they can not verify the fuel used was legal. Man, that's a super harsh ruling, but there is no other recourse. They can't confirm legality of the car.

I doubt they actually need a litre for testing, but I understand the rationale. 

Pour out 1L of liquid in a jug & see how little it actually is (what the pit spy who told me about the rule said to do). They need to do 5 tests apparently, each requires 100ML of fuel, so they need 0.5L to do one round of tests... but they double up the tests to verify initial results. The fact Seb's car only had 0.3L of fuel recovered from it, including draining it from the engine, means they didn't have enough fuel to run one round of checks.

I don't understand why the team didn't tell him the situation & tell him to ease off & settle for 4th or 5th in the last few laps. Better than getting the DSQ. But I guess they wanted their podium & the pictures to show sponsors... but are they worth it? I think not. It is so harsh on Vettel, but it's a cast iron rule. They've known about it for years, they all have to submit 1L of fuel.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(02-08-2021, 06:23 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Pour out 1L of liquid in a jug & see how little it actually is

1 litre is a shitload really. I'm no chemist but I reckon they can find out all they need to know as regards chemical composition of the fuel with a couple of drops. I mean, 1 full litre! What are they doing with it? Making molotov cocktails or something?

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 3 users Like The Professor's post

Personally I think the rule is outdated, samples are analysed on a microscopic level ...... however a rule is a rule and applies to everyone.......harsh but fair.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post