2021 Hungarian GP

Having spent the best part of the week tied up in the aftermath of the British GP its time to move on to Hungary.

This is always a race that is pretty much dominated by pole position as overtaking is at a huge premium and usually only into the first corner.  The race dates back to 1986 and was the first F1 venue to be behind the then so called "Iron Curtain".  In its early years the race was dominated by Williams yet strangely enough Nigel Mansells only win here was in a Ferrari.  In recent times the race has been dominated by Mercedes and in particular Lewis Hamilton who has won here no less than 8 times.

The big question I think to be answered here is how is Max Verstappens mindset after that very large impact which is to my memory the biggest of his career to date. Perhaps it is to his benefit that outside of the first corner there are very few challenging places on the circuit and wheel to wheel racing will be at an absolute minimum.  Personally I am sad about that I wanted to see how he would react to some hard racing but I guess we are going to be kept waiting for quite a while for that to transpire.

I think Mercedes improved their car at the British GP but my gut feeling still tells me the Red Bull is still superior and in the hands of Verstappen at least still ahead of Mercedes in most departments.  As has been the case for so long the more competitive battles will be further down the field.  Ferrari have won here twice in recent times through Sebastian Vettel and their dual with McLaren is set to continue and may well be the race within the race we will enjoy the most.  I have a sneeky suspicion Fernando Alonso may well be set for a good race here too.

No bold predictions from me other to say I will be surprised all things being equal if the pole position does not win the race. This is a track however where rain can make the track come alive and I would not mind seeing that but to be honest generally I am not a outside agency lover for racing.  Lst race for a month, I hate this layoff but understand the reasons behind it. I have a feeling this will not last many more years under Liberty because its lost revenue at a crucial time of the year and we know its all about maximising the mighty coffers of the company.

Hope everyone is well. Looking forward to seeing Morini get his ass back in gear, on track and with fewer pitstops!!

Stay safe everyone.
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/for...2021-08-01

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Elements used going into this weekend

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

Interesting first few sessions. Bottas' car looks dialed in the best so far, with Max & Lewis both unhappy with rear instability, like literally the same complaints at the same corners. Doesn't look like there's much separating the top 3 to me. I'd guess come qualifying & the engine get turned up Max will be favourite for pole. Just a hunch I have, no "science" behind it, but they'll dial the RBR in & it'll fly. What super interesting was the race stints. Lewis per lap is 1.5 seconds quicker than both Bottas & Verstappen in race trim. That's a lot... but Perez was only 0.2 slower per lap. Different fuel load tests from both teams splitting the drivers? That seems like the most obvious reason for the disparity to me, because that's a big, big difference.
[+] 5 users Like Jody Barton's post

Budapest (Hungary) weather - Met Office      

We live in hope.   Wink

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Merc updates working a treat, they are much closer in FP's than usual, or maybe its the higher track temp....

Not sure what the Alphas were up to that session, alot of infractions on other drivers.

Qually should be a treat. RIC's stock just about levelling off, maintaining a closer gap to Norris so far this weekend.

Guess its down the weather, holy moly is it looking hot tomo! If it rains, it'll be too wet for them, and we'll be behind saftey cars way beyond a dry line forming....

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 4 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Neither Lewis not Max look to have the car underneath them though, & Bottas' quali run was out of sync plus he had dreadful traffic in S2 & also S3 in particular.i think it'll be much, much closer between HAM & BOT, plus generally this season RBR seem to turn their engines up more than Merc between FP3 & Qualifying. I hope for once it doesn't rain & we get to see where they're both at.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Wont be in chat today, off to watch BSB at Thruxton, enjoy peoples.    Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Well that was an interesting qualifying session, because I did not expect the Mercedes to be quicker here. Not at all. But it was. Sure Max royally screwed his lap up, but even if he got it right I still think the best he could hope for today was P2.

As to the race tomorrow? I think looking at the race stints during FP2 it looks like a 2 stopper even with Mercedes who start in the Mediums. Be interesting to see how much quicker off the line the RBRs are compared to the Mercs tomorrow T1, T2,& T3 (maybe T4 could get tasty).
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

RedBull on Softs, Mercs on Mediums, We'll have a crackin race should the RedBulls jump the Mercs on lap one, as its quicker cars behind the slower. Strategies could be fun too.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post