Valteri Bottas

My very first thought about Valteri Bottas is what a nice guy he is.  I say that not because he plays number two very well to my favourite driver but because he genuinely comes over as being a very nice guy.  Then one thinks of the old adage "Nice guys Finnish (Pun intended) last".  I do not think that is right all of the time but for sure you could never confuse Michael Schumacher with a cuddly teddy bear (Keep fighting Michael).

No, Valteri is unfortunate to have as his team mate Lewis Hamilton. I do not want to make this post all about Hamilton because it is not. However to ignore his influence on Bottas's situation would be a mistake. It has everything to do with him.  The fact of the matter is he is simply not in the same league as Hamilton, very few ever have been and its arguable if any are right now although I accept some may consider Max Verstappen to be right up there.

Mercedes it seems to me have reached a crossroads with their driver situation.  I am sure for the odd time it actually happens here on the Banter Box we are all in agreement and want to see George Russell in the other seat at Mercedes.  Personally I do not buy into the "Good wingman" to be retained idea.  I feel that has happened in the last two maybe even three seasons and probably with good reason.  Many make the claim its to keep Hamilton happy, maybe that is true maybe not.  Can we not have said the same about Kimi at Ferrari with Vettel.  Can we not say the same about Max Verstappen and his team mates. I am far more certain Red Bull will never challenge Max as the number one driver at that team than I am Mercedes will challenge Hamilton.

To me there is only one choice and it has be to Russell and my reasoning is as follows. Mercedes need a young upcoming driver for the future. Also Hamilton will not be around for ever (Shhh Forza) and they will need a number one driver and in my opinion based on what I have seen so far Russell may well be that guy.  Much is being made of Valteri and his team first attitude at Silverstone this week but can we please be realistic about this.  Hamilton was going to pass him with ease, it would simply have been when not if.  Yes allowing him through unhindered probably helped him enormously to win the race but is that not standing operating practice for all F1 teams in that situation, of course it is.

I do not see where Bottas will remain in F1 I mean where do you go from Mercedes? This is part of all sports and indeed life we all reach the end of our usefulness (My wife and indeed 'friends' tell me that was over a decade ago for me). I do not want to see him go to Haas or Williams for his F1 career to die.

As for Russell will he push Hamilton harder than Bottas. My thoughts are yes he will but he will also light a fire under Hamilton and maybe give him one more wave to ride before he calls time on his career.  What I think it will do is open up the WDC more because I can see Russell taking more points off Hamilton than Bottas and that may open the door for others.

As for Bottas, I will remember him for being a really solid F1 driver.  On his day right up there, but more often that not he was the almost guy.  That said he is one of the nicest guys we have seen on the grid and I wish him luck.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

Valtteri Bottas to drive for Alfa Romeo F1 team in 2022.

Valtteri Bottas will join the Alfa Romeo Formula 1 team in 2022 at the start of what the Swiss outfit says is a multi-year deal.

Confirmation from Mercedes that George Russell is to join the world champion team as replacement for Bottas will follow this week.

Bottas is reunited at Alfa Romeo with team principal Fred Vasseur, with whom he worked at ART in F3 in 2009 and 2010, and in GP3 in 2011, when he won the championship.

"A new chapter in my racing career is opening," said Bottas. "I'm excited to join Alfa Romeo for 2022 and beyond for what is going to be a new challenge with an iconic manufacturer.

"Alfa Romeo is a brand that needs no introduction, they have written some great pages of F1 history, and it's going to be an honour to represent this marque.

"The potential of the set-up in Hinwil is clear, and I am relishing the opportunity to help lead the team forward up the grid, especially with the new regulations in 2022 giving the team a chance to make a leap in performance.

"I'm grateful for the trust the team has put in me, and I cannot wait to repay their faith. I'm as hungry as ever to race for results and, when the time comes, for wins.

"I know Fred well and I am looking forward to getting to know the rest of the team I am going to work with, building relationships as strong as the ones I have at Mercedes."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

See I told you to relax and everything comes to you Smile Smile Smile
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

Bottas aiming for Abu Dhabi F1 test debut with Alfa Romeo
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/bottas...o/6759065/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(09-11-2021, 11:21 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Bottas aiming for Abu Dhabi F1 test debut with Alfa Romeo

I cannot see any reson why he cannot test. The season is over its mere semantics that he is under contract until the end of the year.

Let him go with no strings or money attached to your decision, the guy has been a model teammate he deserves to be treated with respect.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(10-11-2021, 01:37 AM)NeilP Wrote:  
(09-11-2021, 11:21 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Bottas aiming for Abu Dhabi F1 test debut with Alfa Romeo

I cannot see any reson why he cannot test. The season is over its mere semantics that he is under contract until the end of the year.

Let him go with no strings or money attached to your decision, the guy has been a model teammate he deserves to be treated with respect.

Toto and Hamilton just blamed poor Bottas for letting Verstappen pass in Mexico.
Even though Bottas was ordered to give Hamilton a tow towards first corner.

You really think there is any respect for Bottas at Mercedes?
Don't get me wrong, I do believe Bottas deserves all the respect because he was indeed a great teamplayer and seems a good person (just not that great of a racer).

Got to have a 27B-6.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

(11-11-2021, 08:11 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  You really think there is any respect for Bottas at Mercedes?

Toto and Hamilton just blamed poor Bottas for letting Verstappen pass in Mexico.

I hope so, he's been a good no2/wingman & helped out almost every time he's been asked, 
I wish him well at Alfa Romeo.

Just for balance.

Is this respectful?

Sergio Perez has revealed Red Bull “gave” him Max Verstappen’s damaged rear wing for qualifying, the Mexican driver saying his car was “never the same again”.

Perez, who was almost half a second down on pole-sitter Valtteri Bottas, has since stated that part of his deficit was down to Red Bull’s decision to give him the wing that Verstappen ran in FP3, even though the Dutchman had a “problem with” it.

“The car was not the same as the one in the third practice session after we had to change the rear wing, but we made a couple of adjustments in the session,” Perez said as per the Spanish edition of Motorsport.com.

“Max had a problem with his wing in FP3 and they gave that wing to me and, I don’t know, from the first qualifying round on the car was never the same again.”

They are both no 2's whether they like it or not, Mercedes rightly prioritise Lewis as Red Bull rightly prioritise Max.

How is this different from Yuki being thrown under the bus by short spice?

Imo both boss's with hindsight may regret what they said, but for the fan factor....... 

Hope the bun fight continues!   Wink

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(11-11-2021, 08:34 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  
(11-11-2021, 08:11 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  You really think there is any respect for Bottas at Mercedes?

I hope so, he's been a good no2/wingman & helped out almost every time he's been asked, 
I wish him well at Alfa Romeo.

Just for balance.

Is this respectful?

Sergio Perez has revealed Red Bull “gave” him Max Verstappen’s damaged rear wing for qualifying, the Mexican driver saying his car was “never the same again”.

Perez, who was almost half a second down on pole-sitter Valtteri Bottas, has since stated that part of his deficit was down to Red Bull’s decision to give him the wing that Verstappen ran in FP3, even though the Dutchman had a “problem with” it.

“The car was not the same as the one in the third practice session after we had to change the rear wing, but we made a couple of adjustments in the session,” Perez said as per the Spanish edition of Motorsport.com.

“Max had a problem with his wing in FP3 and they gave that wing to me and, I don’t know, from the first qualifying round on the car was never the same again.”

They are both no 2's whether they like it or not, Mercedes rightly prioritise Lewis as Red Bull rightly prioritise Max.

How is this different from Yuki being thrown under the bus by short spice?

Imo both boss's with hindsight may regret what they said, but for the fan factor....... 

Hope the bun fight continues!   Wink

I was attacking Mercedes, not defending Red Bull.
I also think it was not [EDIT] respectful what they said about Tsunoda. Just plain stupid thing to do from Red Bull if you ask me.
The rear wing thing was actually different from what Perez told I believe. There was something wrong with both wings and engineers build two new wings from the best parts, giving the better result to Verstappen naturally. Perez is number 2 and it would be weird if not.

Got to have a 27B-6.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post