2021 British GP

(16-07-2021, 03:18 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(16-07-2021, 03:14 PM)pennywise Wrote:  Ha ha I'm surprised they are letting you back on there at all

.....this new practice seems to frantic for me.....losing the fundamentals of F1 and feeling more like a gameshow

Some people just have no sense of humour  Big Grin

I havent decided yet.....will wait and see how the weekend goes as a whole......sort of like they have very little time to set up the cars for quali....means they have to be on top of every single thing right from the get-go

edit: still think IF they must tinker with format they should try out the mgp combined approach
Yup agreed....makes the practice more meaningful if they need to have decent times...the new cars look a bit meh as well and if they all look identical it takes away the innovation in design for me....F2 only quicker

Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls.
[+] 3 users Like pennywise's post

Ian, looks as if your words of a few weeks back are becoming reality. It is going to be Red Bull running away with the races for the rest of the season. Whilst that is as I have said before disappointing as a Mercedes and Hamilton fan a change at the front is good for the sport. However, if they are as dominating as they appear to be have we simply just not swapped one teams domination for another? It usually happens at rules changes time with new rules I feel this one has happened because of rule changes specifically to neuter Mercedes. I have a problem with that.

That is the crux of the issue to me. Interference by Liberty to make the racing 'better'. I fear for the future of this sport. Yes I fully understand I am the Old Man on the Blog and older people do not like change. I dont think I can improve on Ian's wise words above (Wait...Ian, being wise and smart am I in an alternate universe here).

Ian's quote 'losing the fundamentals of F1 and feeling more like a gameshow'

Exactly Ian and future episodes for any team with an advantage hard earned or not better watch out because the castrating irons will always be hot and ready!
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(16-07-2021, 03:49 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Ian, looks as if your words of a few weeks back are becoming reality. It is going to be Red Bull running away with the races for the rest of the season.  Whilst that is as I have said before disappointing as a Mercedes and Hamilton fan a change at the front is good for the sport.  However, if they are as dominating as they appear to be have we simply just not swapped one teams domination for another?  It usually happens at rules changes time with new rules I feel this one has happened because of rule changes specifically to neuter Mercedes.  I have a problem with that.

That is the crux of the issue to me. Interference by Liberty to make the racing 'better'.  I fear for the future of this sport.  Yes I fully understand I am the Old Man on the Blog and older people do not like change.  I dont think I can improve on Ian's wise words above (Wait...Ian, being wise and smart am I in an alternate universe here).

Exactly Ian and future episodes for any team with an advantage hard earned or not better watch out because the castrating irons will always be hot and ready!

Yea it's not for me Neil...I'm more in favour of Forzas suggestion of combining p1 and p2 times to have a top 10 and the rest quali to make it a top 12 shoot out with 2 from quali 1 joining the top 10.

I have been called both wise and smart many many times before thank you....

But usually the word ass is attached as well. Tongue

Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls.
[+] 3 users Like pennywise's post

(16-07-2021, 03:34 PM)pennywise Wrote:  
(16-07-2021, 03:18 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(16-07-2021, 03:14 PM)pennywise Wrote:  .....this new practice seems to frantic for me.....losing the fundamentals of F1 and feeling more like a gameshow
Some people just have no sense of humour  Big Grin
I havent decided yet.....will wait and see how the weekend goes as a whole......

the new cars look a bit meh as well and if they all look identical it takes away the innovation in design for me....F2 only quicker
(16-07-2021, 03:49 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Ian, looks as if your words of a few weeks back are becoming reality.  because of rule changes specifically to neuter Mercedes.  I have a problem with that.
That is the crux of the issue to me. Interference by Liberty to make the racing 'better'.  I fear for the future of this sport.  Yes I fully understand I am the Old Man on the Blog and older people do not like change.

'losing the fundamentals of F1 and feeling more like a gameshow'"

Ian nails it for me.   Cool

I've said all along I don't want the F1 weekend to change, I feel I'm unlikely to change my mind.

I'm hoping the new reg's allow them to race more closely next year, though I also hope they have not stifled the clever brains in the paddock, I read earlier that Ross Brawn would be allowing teams to use initiative, I hope this it true because I fear Neil is on to something with the yanks trying to dumb the sport down.

"However, Brawn and his think tank, comprising of Pat Symonds, Jason Somerville and Nikolas Tombazis, have already given the teams some leeway with the rules.
Rules that Brawn says he is open to tweaking if need be.
“Part of the feedback from the teams to the initial proposals was that there were not enough opportunities to make a performance advantage,” he explained.
“As a result of that, we did open up a few areas. Pat, Jason and Nikolas took a very detailed look at what we could do there and as a result, opened it up a little.
“So, yes if that has brought about a bit of visual variation it’s encouraging. But if it compromises the aims, we will tweak things so that they aren’t compromised.”

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

They absolutely will tweak things. If one team gains an edge they will castrate it.

That is EXACTLY what Brawn means. People will think oh he is open minded to some variation he is absolutely not thinking that way at all. He is appeasing his audience but what people THINK he says and what he does will be completely different.

There is very little wrong with F1.

I may not know that much about F1 but trust me I am a sports fanatic and have been my whole life. There are very few main stream sports I cannot hold a meaningful conversation on and some I have some reasonable knowledge and depth of understanding of. I have lived in the USA for 20 plus years now I KNOW how sports operate here better than most and I am 100% convinced Liberty will take F1 in the direction very few F1 die hards want to see it go. They will eliminate any advantage gained at which point technical innovation will die because there is no point spending millions only to see it in essense neutered. The American model is 'forced equality' at all costs. Every fan of every 'team/driver' has to believe they have the chance to win the big one. The influence of gambling on sport here is overwhelming and not in a good way.

If any form of advanced technology motor racing is to remain a part of the future there will have to be a breakaway from Liberty medias model. That is going to require an absolutely enormous sum of money from somewhere but if it is to happen its more likely the teams themselves will have to do it. Other than that F1 as we know it will die. That will be just about as divisive as anything else in te world these days. Some will love it, some will hate it.

EDIT: It is kind of funny that the man who made Jensen Button a world champion due to technical innovation is going to be the man that kills technical innovation.

(16-07-2021, 04:56 PM)NeilP Wrote:  They absolutely will tweak things.  If one team gains an edge they will castrate it.

EDIT: It is kind of funny that the man who made Jensen Button a world champion due to technical innovation is going to be the man that kills technical innovation.

Hi Neil, before I was concerned now I am worried.

Hoping the F1 teams put pressure on to allow what for many is what F1 is about, ingenuity & innovation, the clever bods can't be pleased, I wish we could hear their views but I suspect they are not allowed to air dirty laundry in public.

EDIT: > Good point well presented mate.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(16-07-2021, 05:16 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  
(16-07-2021, 04:56 PM)NeilP Wrote:  They absolutely will tweak things.  If one team gains an edge they will castrate it.

Hi Neil, before I was concerned now I am worried.

Hoping the F1 teams put pressure on to allow what for many is what F1 is about, ingenuity & innovation, the clever bods can't be pleased, I wish we could hear their views but I suspect they are not allowed to air dirty laundry in public.

EDIT: > Good point well presented mate.

Thanks Papa, I really hope I am wrong and on many occasions I am but I dont believe that to be case this time.  We have already seen it in action and not just with Mercedes. You cannot tell me the proposed pit stop rule changes are not aimed at slowing down Red Bull who have been amazing and ironically that is more about human endeavour and practice until perfect  rather than technology.

I know you boys are not fussed about this new format...........but.........its Friday, the sun is out, the beer is freezing AND there is F1 on the telly........bloody awesome!

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(16-07-2021, 05:41 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I know you boys are not fussed about this new format...........but.........its Friday, the sun is out, the beer is freezing AND there is F1 on the telly........bloody awesome!

Right Forza, just because I dont like it does not mean I will not extract any enjoyment from it.  Lets hope for some good competition if not upfront then in the midfield.

Forza Ferrari... I think I just threw up a little in my mouth Smile Smile Smile

Hoping the red cars can sneak up the grid today....not sure they are fast enough to have a go at Norris but should put some manners on Danny

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post