2021 French GP

(20-06-2021, 08:07 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Pehaps I missed something, but why did merc not feel the need to cover Max`s second stop?

I cant blame Bottas for being a bit leary on team radio, from a non merc fan I feel he was hung out to dry by the team (yet again)

Agree, couldn't understand either.       Dodgy

Quite like that he "expressed himself"    Wink

Mercedes making mistakes in strategy that's not been seen before even when Ferrari pushed them, exciting init..   Big Grin

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Good to see Merc having to work and not get it all their own way, hope it goes back and forth for the season.........obviously with a blue car finishing top Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Fantastic race today. Biggest winner; the fans!

Verstappen was on fire whole weekend. One error at the start but other than that the guy was just fantastic. Red Bull strategists, I said it before and will say it again; they surprise me more often than not and every time in a good way.
Perez as well did a great job. It made a huge difference that it was Perez in that spot for Verstappen fighting for the win. Finally a four car battle.
Red Bull all together is doing a superb job and deserve the lead in constructor championship.

Hamilton drove great as well, although I really think he should have tried to attack Verstappen after the first pitstop. Both Mercedes were all over Verstappen and clearly the faster cars at that time. They lost some there, almost like they still not ready for such a tight fight with another team.
Another thing I wonder about, is why they didn't called Bottas in for a second stop when Verstappen went in. I understand they kept Hamilton out, very uncomfortable position but no choice. But Bottas, they should've tried it with him. Would not lost more than they did now but could've made it very interesting. And when they let that opportunity past by, they forgot to get him inside for fastest lap. Again, it almost looks like Mercedes is in shock and forgotten how to fight when not being dominant.
I don't doubt they wake up and we have a great battle ahead of us for many races. This is looking great guys!

McLaren, well excellent. Even Ricciardo wasn't that bad today. Still it looks like he lost his mojo. Must be painful to see Red Bull at the top, could've been him.
Beautiful pass from Norris on Alonso. Norris really is impressive this year (thought he wasn't that good last years).

Gasly, a bit of a rough move on Norris but again great drive. He really is stepping up and getting into the group of young top drivers. A constant growing group it almost seems. Again, good times ahead.

Vettel in the points again. Good for him.

Ferrari, they had some problems with the tyres. Hope they figure that out.

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised this ugly track provided such a intense race.
Can't wait for the double Austria races.

PS. That orchestra playing the national anthems at the end was the worst I have heard since watching F1. Damn, the trumpet guy was terrible.

Got to have a 27B-6.
[+] 3 users Like Antilochos's post

I have to say I enjoyed the race and even though my guy is not winning right now I am loving the battle between him and Max. Red Bull totally deserve their success and I expect them to pull away from Mercedes on what is basically their home track in the next two races. The British GP is where Hamilton and Mercedes must bounce back if they are to have any chance in either of the two championships.

I dont know what has happened to Mercedes last few races they are making so many mistakes. The excuse today (for that is exactly what it is) for pitting Bottas first is a joke. So his tyres were dropping off and he was getting vibrations. You lost your number one driver the race. Your argument about 3 seconds being enough of a gap is a joke. What if you had a slower than usual pitstop, there was no margin for error at all. Lame. You screwed up and got too cute. Verstappen has Bottas's number, always has. Even in an inferior car he has been his equal now he has the best car its a no competition! There is no way Bottas was finishing second in that race.

Anti, Hamilton did try to get Max back at the first stop he was all over the back of him but the Red Bull had too much speed on the straights for him to overtake eventually he had to drop back. If he had pitted before Max he would have had a good chance but Mercedes missed their opportunity (AGAIN) and I credit Red Bull being proactive. As for pitting him after Max, would not have worked out any different. These cars are so closely matched its going to take an error or a strategy move to pass.

Great race by the McLaren boys but hugely disappointed in Ferrari I had them being a dark horse and I certainly expected fireworks between them and McLaren. Good job by Aston Martin too and finally a shout out to George "See you in Mercedes next year" Russell.

To Morini: Thank you for getting this back on line. Yes there are only a few of us but its a quality and highly select group of individuals (apart from Forza, who is basically a Lewis Hamilton wannabe in a Bright Scarlet Shirt) and I for one am glad to be able to communicate with them all. We may differ in our opinions but clearly we are all passionate about the sport regardless of our great or not so great knowledge.
[+] 5 users Like NeilP's post

Nice post Neil.   Big Grin

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

The role reversal in strategy this race, sure shut my "have Redbull forgot how to win" thoughts up, learnt immediately from Spain. Down the wire, great stuff.

Ferrari tyre consumption, boy its killer. They will have try some really magical wonderous tricks for the double Austria race.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 4 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(21-06-2021, 06:40 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  The role reversal in strategy this race, sure shut my "have Redbull forgot how to win" thoughts up, learnt immediately from Spain. Down the wire, great stuff.

Ferrari tyre consumption, boy its killer. They will have try some really magical wonderous tricks for the double Austria race.

I am fairly sure in my mind the Austrian GP used to be a 3 stop race years ago as I think was the German GP why did it change anyone know?  I realise the tyre compoiunds have been change but again why.  So sick of tyres! Sad
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post