2021 Emilia Romagna GP

I will just leave this here

https://youtu.be/FRWXdPSoUT0

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 5 users Like forzaferrari's post

I love this man, and he was taken far too early from us.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(19-04-2021, 10:04 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I will just leave this here
https://youtu.be/FRWXdPSoUT0
(20-04-2021, 12:31 AM)NeilP Wrote:  I love this man, and he was taken far too early from us.

Late, sobering point, (thanks for that lol) not like the driving God Senna ever drove into anybody is it?   Tongue

I still (late at night) think Ayrton's over taking decisions were cold/calculated, Georges was, well, not well thought out, only in imo buddy.

Mate I'm guessing "every" petrol head in the World shed a tear, in the tens of millions, us Brits were all Mansell fans but we had nothing but respect & awe for Senna, we all loved those battles.    Cool

Good point well presented Forza.        Wink

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(20-04-2021, 01:15 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  I still (late at night) think Ayrton's over taking decisions were cold/calculated, Georges was, well, not well thought out, only in imo buddy.

Fully agree buddy, but there was a gap, an opportunity, and Georgie-boy had a lot more speed, imo GR rightly went for it, its not as if he "done a Grosjean" and made some clumsy move that was never going to work out. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, as is us spectators/fans having the luxury of sitting with a beer in hand pointing out exactly where these guys go wrong.......in the car these guys make a spilt second decision and commit, just like Lewis had to with GR when he put himself onto the wet part of the track attempting to pass....was Lewis wrong for doing it, or for tripping over Max at the start....hell no, he had to try.

Like Neil, I also think Adolf Toto was wrong with his comments, "Global perspective" lol........what is it with fecking Germans thinking they are superior eh? Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(20-04-2021, 09:09 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Georgie-boy had a lot more speed, imo GR rightly went for it

I don't think there is anyone who has commented on the thread who has said any differently? In fact I believe I said "I don't blame him for trying". My opinion is based on how very poorly judged (and executed) that passing attempt was. Nobody said "don't go for the gap", but I was disappointed in the lack of skill shown and people thinking Bottas was a contributing factor in that coming together. George didn't need to go on the wet grass and that is what caused the massive crash.

(20-04-2021, 09:09 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Like Neil, I also think Adolf Toto was wrong with his comments, "Global perspective" lol........what is it with fecking Germans thinking they are superior eh? Wink

The comments were absolutely spot on. Saying them in public is what Toto got wrong. I'm pretty sure he said much worse than that behind closed doors as well.

People might think I'm being a bit down on George but it isn't that at all. I really like him and I do think he is one of the brightest prospects out there. He would definitely win races if he was sat in the Mercedes now but he wouldn't in a million years win a WDC against the likes of Hamilton or Verstappen until he becomes more measured and takes better decisions.

I'll stick by my earlier line "rush of blood to the head".
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Just found this on MotorSport, explains how George was able to catch Valtteri.

Bottas said after qualifying that he was struggling on corner-entry, marking a new issue to that encountered in Bahrain, which Mercedes later related to tyre warm-up. The problem was even more noticeable in the race as Bottas struggled to get his tyres into the right temperature window in the cool conditions, leaving him stuck behind Lance Stroll in the first stint. 

George Russell was able to gain time on the Finn by virtue of his warmer slick tyres - fitted two laps earlier than Bottas's own mediums - before their race-ending crash on the approach to Turn 2.

It marks a change in fortune for Mercedes. The team has traditionally fared better in cooler conditions and struggled more in the heat with its recent cars. Now, it has the opposite issue.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(20-04-2021, 11:48 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Just found this on MotorSport, explains how George was able to catch Valtteri.

Bottas said after qualifying that he was struggling on corner-entry, marking a new issue to that encountered in Bahrain, which Mercedes later related to tyre warm-up. The problem was even more noticeable in the race as Bottas struggled to get his tyres into the right temperature window in the cool conditions, leaving him stuck behind Lance Stroll in the first stint. 

George Russell was able to gain time on the Finn by virtue of his warmer slick tyres - fitted two laps earlier than Bottas's own mediums - before their race-ending crash on the approach to Turn 2.

It marks a change in fortune for Mercedes. The team has traditionally fared better in cooler conditions and struggled more in the heat with its recent cars. Now, it has the opposite issue.

Yeah, Ross brawn says it's all about tyre temperature as well in his f1.com column. This article speculates about exactly the same

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce...l/6361748/

Not sure I completely buy it myself as Hamilton had no issues at all in that respect this weekend. The last time I remember Mercedes struggling in this way was Turkey last year (which was a total outlier because of the surface of the track combined with conditions) and both cars suffered equally in quali. I'll now say something contentious, after the first race I thought the race pace was very, very close between RBR and Mercedes. After the second race (IMO) Mercedes had the much better race day package and a mistake lapping backmarkers turned out to be the real difference. I think that saved Max bacon on Sunday as Hamilton didn't show any problems following in dirty air or overtaking. That used to be a big Mercedes achilles heel.

YMMV, but as far as the WDC is concerned I'm not (yet) convinced it actually is going to be close all season as people think it is. Early days though, I think Mercedes have a good edge at the moment but we will need to see a few more circuits before it all unfolds. What is clear is so far Bottas can't make this years car work for him and he is looking lost and fragile. He is already more than a full race win behind the lead.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

One of Hamiltons most under rated skills is his ability to manage the tyres (goddam its always the damn tyres and management!)

He is VASTLY superior to Bottas and always has been in this department which is naturally a huge plus. A lot of his wins in recent years have been because of this skill and I feel he does not get the credit he deserves because "He drives the best car"

Be interested in the under informed Forzas neutral opinion!!! Smile
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(20-04-2021, 11:48 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Just found this on MotorSport, explains how George was able to catch Valtteri.

Interesting.
But they also had a hard time with tyre degradation (still thé reason why Red Bull won second Silverstone race last year) and there seems to be a big improvement. Could those two things be connected?

Got to have a 27B-6.