Mercedes and Red Bull vacant seats in 2022?

I just read an article about why Marko had advised Vettel to take a sabatical in 2021. Would be that Marko is sure that in 2022 Mercedes ánd Red Bull will get a free seat.

This could be big. 
First, it are the two best teams at the moment. 
Second, Mercedes is by far the best and anyone in that car is a potential title winner (and surely a race winner).
Third, who's seat is he talking about? The number two drivers or the number one drivers?

So the simple thing would be that Bottas is out next year. Well, obvious that would mean Russel in at Mercedes. Then Perez out at Red Bull, but I don't know who is in. And why would Marko be sure that Perez would be out? And why would Marko advise Vettel to stick around if those vacant seats are still open? Especially Mercedes, I don't see anyone else but Russel getting a seat there next.
So then the intriguing thing. Could he be talking about the number one drivers? Marko is convinced that Hamilton stops next year (has every record, wants focus on his new e-team, etc). And is sure that Verstappen moves to Mercedes (and still Bottas out and Russel in over there). 

Could it be?
Maybe just silly season, maybe old Marko having fun, but still intriguing.
[+] 3 users Like Antilochos's post

Certainly could interesting. Was big hype around the 2021 reg change, that tied in with "everyone" being out of contract. Now its set for 2022.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Well people in Germany are starting to say a seat might be a available at Mercedes this season. Lewis hasn't signed & technically speaking that means he's no longer a Mercedes driver. I'm not sure the contract negotiations are going smoothly.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Yeah Jody I was reading that myself, (not saying Lewis isnt worth every penny he commands but) I dont think it would look good for Merc to pay that sort of dosh while they are in the midst of getting rid of 1000`s of staff worldwide, that said I still think its only a matter of time before contracts are signed....cant see either party letting the other walk away.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Rumour and conjecture all of it. Nothing I have read is substantiated by any stretch of the imagination and I'll class it all as tabloid clickbait until I see some sort of official announcement form the team themselves. Bernie has chimed in and said he believes its signed already and it does Daimler no harm to see the internet speculating. I would be more likely to believe that than any other clickbait out there currently, to be honest.

Not about money either IMO as I firmly believe Lewis is worth every penny of what he commands. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 3 year deal at £120 million and Lewis shouldn't feel guilty about it either, sportspeople have a short shelf life and they all need to maximise their prime years. Drop in the ocean to Mercedes (who only own 30% of the team now anyway) and it would be significantly funded from sponsorship deals in any event. Yes, Merc may be laying people off as a result of covid, but that can hardly be blamed on SLH can it? There is (another) rumour that the sticking point may actually be about BLM and Lewis wanting the team to keep this years livery while merc want to revert back to normal, again unsubstantiated, but that sounds more plausible to me than any gripe about money. 

At the very least SLH contract will be more lucrative than Max Verstappen's recent 3 year deal (and rightly so as well). Will possibly be the most lucrative in history as anyone else will need to sign their next one before 2023 (Max is contracted past that date).
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

You are all talking about Hamilton his 21 contract.
I think that is just fooling around and Mercedes and Hamilton will sign a contract, if they not already have done this. How lucrative, I don't care at all (not my business, not influencing me).

The big question is 22. What will happen then, what was Marko referring to?
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

(22-01-2021, 09:31 AM)Antilochos Wrote:  You are all talking about Hamilton his 21 contract.
I think that is just fooling around and Mercedes and Hamilton will sign a contract, if they not already have done this. How lucrative, I don't care at all (not my business, not influencing me).

Well, I don't think much will happen driver wise and I wouldn't pay any attention to what that weasel Marko says as he will have zero knowledge of what's going on behind Mercedes doors. I certainly don't see Vettel back at the top 3 now as he has shown too many weak performances over the last few years. Assuming Hamilton signs a multi year deal there won't be many seats available at the top 3 teams in 2022 anyway. Leclerc and Sainz are both contracted past 2022, Verstappen still has two years to run and Hamilton won't sign a single year contract I don't reckon. That leaves Bottas and Perez as we know VB contract is until end of 2021 (I am not sure about Perez, did he sign for a 1 year deal?).

Basically I think the driver line up will look pretty much like it does now with George Russell replacing Valtteri Bottas.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(22-01-2021, 10:45 AM)morini Wrote:  
(22-01-2021, 09:31 AM)Antilochos Wrote:  You are all talking about Hamilton his 21 contract.

Well, I don't think much will happen driver wise and I wouldn't pay any attention to what that weasel Marko says as he will have zero knowledge of what's going on behind Mercedes doors. I certainly don't see Vettel back at the top 3 now as he has shown too many weak performances over the last few years. Assuming Hamilton signs a multi year deal there won't be many seats available at the top 3 teams in 2022 anyway. Leclerc and Sainz are both contracted past 2022, Verstappen still has two years to run and Hamilton won't sign a single year contract I don't reckon. That leaves Bottas and Perez as we know VB contract is until end of 2021 (I am not sure about Perez, did he sign for a 1 year deal?).

Basically I think the driver line up will look pretty much like it does now with George Russell replacing Valtteri Bottas.

I agree with you on Vettel that he not will be back at Mercedes or Red Bull (obviously not Ferrari). He still is sitting pretty nice now in a (probably) green Mercedes (formerly know as the pink Mercedes...).

I don't agree about Marko. You might dislike the guy, but that should not influence your view on the matter. The guy just knows a lot about what is going on in F1 and he must've had a reason to say that to Vettel about Mercedes and Red Bull seats. Pretty sure he was not just messing around with Vettel because they still friendly with each other, but more important there would nothing to be gained for Marko.
So therefor I found it intriguing what he said. Maybe we will find out within a year, maybe never, but I don't believe Marko will say something like that about a Red Bull seat lightly.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

The whole Red Bull set up is in a state of transition right now. Perez has a one year deal. Personally I think that leaves the door open for an extension based on how well he fits in with the team and him playing wingman to Verstappen (something I do not think he is capable of). This is Max's team make no mistake.

Verstappen's contract expires 2023 but he does have an outlet at the end of 2021 which I am sure is based on the cars performance and potential performance from 2022 onwards. More and more I am convinced if he is to be a WDC he will have to leave Red Bull for either Mercedes or Ferrari (Yes, that Ferrari... sorry Fiat F1).

Russell in for Bottas is surely as close to a certainty as possible. The Hamilton situation is interesting I think he will sign and I would think probably a 2 year deal, maybe 3 and after that I think he is pretty much done. That to me is when Verstappen may move.

Then you look at Alpha Tauri Red Bulls junior team. (They are not a 'Sister' team Mr. Horner... you do not screw your sister as you have used Toro Rosso!!!) Clearly the door to Red Bull seems to be closed for Gasly, but not so fast. He is still in the overall company for a reason, he is a backstop for major movement IE if Perez does not work out and Verstappen leaves after 2021 where does that put them? Answer; Up Shitz Creek without a paddle. Are they really going back to Alex Albon and A.N. Other I think not. Their progression of Junior Drivers is drying up a little for now and most of that is down to then promoting drivers too soon. Kyvat, Gasly and of course Albon. Verstappen is the stand out promotion and they got that spot on.

As always the driver situation in F1 is very fluid and that adds to its excitement. The line ups for next season are very interesting to me especially at McLaren and Ferrari. My only disappointment is that Nico Hulkenberg is again without a drive, I think we may well have seen the last of him in F1
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

(21-01-2021, 01:35 PM)morini Wrote:  Yes, Merc may be laying people off as a result of covid, but that can hardly be blamed on SLH can it? 

I wasnt implying this had anything to do with Lewis...... world optics are a biggie for the Daimler/Merc brand and I didnt/dont think it would look good from the outside to lay off 15,000 staff & reducing costs/spending while spunking mega bucks for the services of one single person...even if that person IS Lewis Hamilton. 

Daimler are reducing staff not because of covid (although the industry as a whole are indeed suffering) but to streamline & increase effeciency in line with going green in the future and moving towards fully electric vehicles.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post