2020 Toscana Ferrari 1000 GP

Surprised to read F1 cars are expected to top out at 325kph before San Donato (T1) whereas Motogp bikes are 356kph while still airborne over the small rise & kink just before T1.......that cant be right, can it?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

It is a bit weird of a comparison Morini. For example, Bottas would not be in the little summery if he never drove a Mercedes, while almost every other driver would be in it íf that guy would be driving a Mercedes.

Think the expectations for the win are the same as for the rest of the season. Hamilton 1, Bottas 2 but he can drop the ball (again) and Verstappen switch 3 with him. Than a big fight for P4. Let's forget about the freak weekend last week.
On the other hand, Red Bull didn't seem in good shape last weekend and that is for me a very interesting aspect. Did they had trouble with their set up? Or is the engine mode rule playing its part for them (is the Honda engine actually the third fastest engine)? Are other teams getting faster and closer to them? Most important, was it a one off weekend for them?

Anyway, I am pretty excited for the quali and race.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

I found this very interesting Andrew Shovlin on how Mercedes approach a new circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KfaKsxkpmU
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(10-09-2020, 06:18 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I found this very interesting Andrew Shovlin on how Mercedes approach a new circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KfaKsxkpmU

Indeed very interesting. Made me once more realise how much I don't know or understand of the complete picture of racing.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

(10-09-2020, 05:49 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  It is a bit weird of a comparison Morini.

Why weird? I was just highlighting drivers who have been successful at a lot of circuits. For me that would be a good indicator they are quick to master new circuits. That is the only angle I was exploring there.

I don't think any of the drivers are going to struggle to be honest, but some are going to master this new circuit quicker than others.

(10-09-2020, 09:07 PM)morini Wrote:  
(10-09-2020, 05:49 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  It is a bit weird of a comparison Morini.

Why weird? I was just highlighting drivers who have been successful at a lot of circuits. For me that would be a good indicator they are quick to master new circuits. That is the only angle I was exploring there.

I don't think any of the drivers are going to struggle to be honest, but some are going to master this new circuit quicker than others.

If you focus on winners, you miss out all drivers that did not got the opportunity to drive a race winning car. That is quite some injustice to a lot of very, very good drivers on the grid. 
Like this year as a reference; all drivers not in a Mercedes are not capable winning a race? It is almost the same logic. 
Maybe this way we even miss out how easy all those guys adjust to new circuits when moving on in their career. You can't blame Russell not winning shit, not even getting points and therefor say he has no capacity to learn new circuits real quit. Hell, that kid might learn twice as fast as some of the guys in your list for all we know.
I dare to say that (almost) all of the F1 drivers have a basic level of adjusting and learning, otherwise they never made it to F1 casu quo manage to stay in F1.

Nope, it is a weird kind of logic to me.  The car they are driving this year is a far better indicator. 
But again, that is my way of seeing things.

(10-09-2020, 05:44 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Surprised to read F1 cars are expected to top out at 325kph before San Donato (T1) whereas Motogp bikes are 356kph while still airborne over the small rise & kink just before T1.......that cant be right, can it?

Yeah sound about right. MotoGP have the higher top speeds anyway, plus the downforce the F1 cars will need for the circuit drastically cuts any special high speeds. Honestly i think we'll see less without "qually modes"

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

(10-09-2020, 09:16 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  If you focus on winners, you miss out all drivers that did not got the opportunity to drive a race winning car.

I can only get these types of stats for race winners (and I qualified that when I posted the original comparison). However, if the drivers in the cars which can't win races were better then they would be in the race winning cars, so I'm not too sure about your objection really? Regardless of what car a driver is in he still has his team mate to beat. So, if you've won at 26 circuits and taken pole at 27 it means you're pretty good at mastering them and you'ev also beaten the guy in the other car!

Anyway, I was hinting that Vettel has a good record in this department too, but he isn't going to be in it this weekend unless 8 other teams have double retirements. Seb really likes his stats and if the Ferrari was competitive it would be an ideal one to increase his "circuits won at" stat. As it is, I think there's high motivation for Hamilton at this one, Imola and Portugal as they none of these are on his CV.

(10-09-2020, 09:52 PM)morini Wrote:  
(10-09-2020, 09:16 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  If you focus on winners, you miss out all drivers that did not got the opportunity to drive a race winning car.

I can only get these types of stats for race winners (and I qualified that when I posted the original comparison). However, if the drivers in the cars which can't win races were better then they would be in the race winning cars, so I'm not too sure about your objection really? Regardless of what car a driver is in he still has his team mate to beat. So, if you've won at 26 circuits and taken pole at 27 it means you're pretty good at mastering them and you'ev also beaten the guy in the other car!

Anyway, I was hinting that Vettel has a good record in this department too, but he isn't going to be in it this weekend unless 8 other teams have double retirements. Seb really likes his stats and if the Ferrari was competitive it would be an ideal one to increase his "circuits won at" stat. As it is, I think there's high motivation for Hamilton at this one, Imola and Portugal as they none of these are on his CV.

Sorry I’ve highlighted area I wanted to reply to. I wanted to add they may just be starting out ie: Russell, Norris, Latifi as an example

(10-09-2020, 09:57 PM)Beano Wrote:  Sorry I’ve highlighted area I wanted to reply to. I wanted to add they may just be starting out ie: Russell, Norris, Latifi as an example

Which is fair enough comment. However, there is no real way to get empirical evidence of whether these guys are quick to master circuits. With race winners you kind of can.