2020 Belgian GP

Will the Pink Cars give Red Bull a run for their money or will Max Verstappen be the one to chase after Hamilton. Time will tell.  

Here is your place holder for one of my favourite races.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

So I can only see one winner for the Belgian GP after that display today, it's clear Lewis is on top of that car, which is a beast, and he has Bottas in his back pocket. After today's Spanish GP performance it is clear he's only starting to hit his stride right now, and when he does he'll be unstoppable in that car. He's rapidly heading towards a two race lead in points over Bottas, and Max won't be far behind, so the WDC is already looking over. I just hope Spa isn't as one sided as it might be.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Moved your post into the existing race thread Jody. Hope that's ok with you?

Regarding Spa, it still pains me that this is "one that got away" (so far) in my F1 race attending history. I need to put that right before I shuffle off this mortal coil.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

You really should try and put it right Morini, it's one of the best GPs to go to. Bit of a bugger to get to, but there's some great Spa's and hotels nearby too. It's not really a "holiday" destination though... but every F1 fan should see F1 cars fly round spa. It is very special.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(16-08-2020, 09:04 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  You really should try and put it right Morini, it's one of the best GPs to go to. Bit of a bugger to get to, but there's some great Spa's and hotels nearby too. It's not really a "holiday" destination though... but every F1 fan should see F1 cars fly round spa. It is very special.

Believe me when I say, it is on my list. The planets have not aligned yet, something always gets in the way of my plans to attend Spa! But I will go one year soon, even if I have to do it on my own.

I rate it amongst the best F1 classic circuits I have yet to experience, so it will happen. Unless I die first, of course Laughing
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Bit of a long gap between Spain and Belgium now getting used to weekly races Wink Anyhoos, who are the form drivers here? I wouldn't exactly call it a Hamilton speciality track but he has had "reasonable" success here

Some stats considering current drivers

LH : 5 Poles, 3 wins (some would say 4), 2 fastest lap
SV : 1 Pole, 3 wins, 4 FL
KR : 2 Pole, 4 wins, 2 FL
[edited the above as my memory failed me. It was Massa who inherited the win in 2008, not Kimi, who crashed sometime after Hamilton overtook him]

Of the other 2020 WDC contenders Max Verstappen's best finish was 3rd in 2018, Valtteri Bottas also 3rd in 2019 and 2015 (with Williams).

For all drivers, Schumacher has the most wins with 6 (1 pole), followed by Senna with 5 wins (4 poles).
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

I always wonder if being on pole is a good thing here. It seems to me being 2nd or 3rd is a bigger advantage in the slipstream along the Kemmel straight. Au Rouge and Radillion have to be one of if not the most exciting and amazing sections of an F1 circuit anywhere (can anyone name any others?)

If Bottas has any chance of being a contender he must win here (He is the lap record holder for Spa)

Naturally the Kemmel fan section will turn Orange for the weekend too which is awesome to see. I have seen some awesome Youtube videos from fans in that section . The sounds are amazing its like a giant swarm of angry bees is approaching and them Boom Boom Boom as the cars go past. It was obviously a lot better in the V8 days! Smile
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(16-08-2020, 08:52 PM)morini Wrote:  Regarding Spa, it still pains me that this is "one that got away" (so far) in my F1 race attending history. I need to put that right before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

https://www.spa-francorchamps.be/en/accommodation

Appartement 2 Chambres Rue de Spa

Hello Mate, when I took Gags we stayed ^^^here, lovely apartment, underground parking & roughly, 1000m from the track, (entrance at end of pit straight) there is a little shop opposite that sells munchies & beer in case you need more after you stagger back lol.

As Jody said SPA is only a small village but on race weekend its "mental" dozen's of beer & bratwurst stalls. (what else does a man need)

Its 24hr partying just down from the apartment but its far enough away from the main campsites to get some sleep.

Watch out for the Dutchies & their so called fire works! barrel bombs more like it!   Bomb

Gag's said it was the best weekend of his life, the apartment was expensive (to me) but as I say it was really nice & on Friday/Saturday/Sunday when your walking down beer in hand you can laugh at the poor sods queuing for miles sat in their cars.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

(18-08-2020, 04:54 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  
https://www.spa-francorchamps.be/en/accommodation

[color=#6b6b6b][size=medium][font=BlinkMacSystemFont, -apple-system,][b]
Appartement 2 Chambres Rue de Spa

Cheers for the tip mate. I can't seem to find that one on the link you give?

Anyway, I would imagine a place 1Km from the gates would be arm and leg territory over a F1 weekend?
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(18-08-2020, 03:26 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I always wonder if being on pole is a good thing here. It seems to me being 2nd or 3rd is a bigger advantage in the slipstream along the Kemmel straight. Au Rouge and Radillion have to be one of if not the most exciting and amazing sections of an F1 circuit anywhere (can anyone name any others?)

Historically it is possible to keep the lead from pole. Admittedly the lead driver has to break the tow through eau rouge, but I think all of them would prefer to be on pole than not. Not the end of the world as pole isn't essential and overtaking is possible

(18-08-2020, 03:26 PM)NeilP Wrote:  If Bottas has any chance of being a contender he must win here (He is the lap record holder for Spa)

I didn't realise that VB's FL from 2018 was a track record, had to go and check. However, it is already over for him IMO, win at Spa or not Hamilton is near enough 2 DNF's clear after 6 events. There are only 5 races left after Spa according to the f1.com website. No mention of any middle eastern races which the Sky pundits seem certain are happening. If they are planning 3 - 6 races in the deserts then surely they need to announce / confirm them soon?
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post