5 races in to 2020

So, up until yesterday it was looking like total Mercedes dominance and a two way WDC fight. Suddenly the media are talking about a three way fight for the drivers title. I don't think that is pie in the sky either as the lead isn't much more than a DNF at this point. The season certainly isn't as dead as we all thought it would be.

Got me to thinking, how does this season look compared to others at 5 races in? I did a quick points comparison for the three title challengers at this stage in the season going back to 2015. Yes I know it isn't completely relevant as VB wasn't in Mercedes until 2017, but I've substituted Rosbergs scores for 2015/16.

Looking at those figures I'm wondering how Hamilton got a reputation for being a slow starter? I mean apart from 2016 when it is clear he had a poor start he's been eerily consistent in terms of points year in, year out. Look at Max though, best start to a season ever. If it wasn't for the DNF he would be at least 15 points closer as well.

I think there is still a chance of a proper WDC fight.
[+] 6 users Like morini's post

(10-08-2020, 10:49 AM)morini Wrote:  I think there is still a chance of a proper WDC fight. 
I think there is still a chance of a proper WDC fight.  Look at Max though, If it wasn't for the DNF he would be at least 15 points closer as well.

Lets hope so  Big Grin

We were chatting yesterday when Gag's asked "If" Max wins again in Spain would Mercedes start using team orders, I said we are only a few races in so I doubt it, yet I wonder with an unknown number of races would they? 

Hope they don't (yet) as it will go down like a fart in a space suit....   Cry

I suppose it will come down to if they believe its just the softer tyres or if they believe Red Bull have made a step.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

I think if Max does look a threat in Spain Mercedes might start to unofficially lean more towards Lewis, primarily because he's leading the championship and they can count on him to deliver, because he does time and time again. However, if we're back to normal service resumed and the two Mercs disappear up the road I'm not sure they'll bother. One thing is for certain, Toto will already be preparing for it mentally. However, truth is RBR were nowhere in Austria really, both races, in Hungary they were nowhere as well, and were it not for the safety cars both Lewis and Bottas would've had a pit stop and half in hand over Max when VBs tyre went in the British GP. So really Max is only a "threat" mathematically because Ferrari are shyte this year. Realistically he'll come third, unless Bottas really is utterly crap.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

All this talk about a championship fight again, I don't understand it.
Mercedes is obviously so dominant, so much stronger than any other team, that it is clear to me a Mercedes driver will be champion and I go even further, almost all races this year will be won by Mercedes. Since you all know how I think about Bottas and by this time the points are backing this up, it is also clear that it will be Hamilton that gets that championship (very quickly now).

Verstappen is one of the best drivers I have ever seen. He is a natural talent like all the greats if you ask me. Red Bull also a great team with a good car.
But last race was just a anomaly, something weird and different. Mercedes had problems because of the heat in combination with the soft tyres (either one of those on itself they can handle a lot better). Then you get Red Bull with the perfect strategy and Verstappen with a marvelous drive. This all comes together as a perfect storm and made it a beautiful race with a unique result.

Now, it is back to usual. Mercedes one and two while Verstappen scraps the leftovers, maybe once in a while he takes Bottas his spot. But a fight for the championship? Not this year.
[+] 3 users Like Antilochos's post

So we are now 6 races in I was having a look at the schedule on f1.com. Sky pundits keep talking up 15 - 18 races this season but at the moment there are only 6 more races listed. Which ones are the 3 (6) yet to be announced? Are they all going to be in the middle east?

Germany in October, what is the tyre allocation for that one then? Soft, medium, spiked (with optional snow chains)?

[edit]
For the sake of completeness I've updated the points / points difference numbers after race 6. Lewis actually has a bigger lead than he did last year which doesn't really bode well for a WDC fight.

[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(18-08-2020, 12:17 PM)morini Wrote:  Germany in October, what is the tyre allocation for that one then? Soft, medium, spiked (with optional snow chains)?

I have no doubt that Crofty will be using the term "OctoberFast" - anyone willing to take a bet on it?
[+] 3 users Like PaddyB's post