Have high rake cars had their day?

Interesting (I though, anyway)

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech-...n=widget-1

I've never been a fan from an aesthetic viewpoint. Probably very simplistic of me to say this, but Mercedes have never had a problem winning with a more conventional (and much better looking) approach.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

McLaren is weighing up whether there could be gains to be made in moving away from a high rake concept for its 2021 Formula 1 car. (Motorsport)

Amid a growing belief in the paddock that the high rake design pioneered by Red Bull may have hit a ceiling of development, McLaren says it is not totally against moving towards the low rake design that Mercedes is putting to great use.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(06-08-2020, 09:41 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  McLaren is weighing up whether there could be gains to be made in moving away from a high rake concept for its 2021 Formula 1 car. (Motorsport)

Amid a growing belief in the paddock that the high rake design pioneered by Red Bull may have hit a ceiling of development, McLaren says it is not totally against moving towards the low rake design that Mercedes is putting to great use.

I hope a few more teams do as well. Much more elegant race cars.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Horner getting very defensive in interview post P1 about the RBR high rake. He says Mercedes have gone higher and higher at the back over the years. That's not what it looks like to me so far this year Mr Horner, they look to have returned to their flat design.

I did point out myself that the car they took to testing looked a bit rakey in some photos. Undoubtedly circuit specific, but even when the Merc do run a bit of rake it is a lot less than most others.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

More of the same thing today

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-b...=widget-12

I've no doubt Adrian Newey is a very successful and talented aerodynamicist, he certainly has all the credentials and knows his stuff. But maybe just going on results over the past few years his philosophy isn't the best one? Time for Red Bull to change their approach?
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post