2020 70th Anniversary GP

This is a placeholder for the second Silverstone / British GP, in the spirit of having a thread for each race. I have named the thread as per the race title in the official f1.com schedule.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

A number of talking points ahead of the second Silverstone race:

1) Should they change the tyres for next weekend given the higher temperatures and the 4 tyre failures today (Kvyats crash confirmed as tyre failure).

2) If they don't could we see a three stop race?

3) If they don't change the compounds is Andreas Seidl right about not seeing any running on Friday? I think he might be you know, because they'll need the tyres for Saturday and Sunday.

4) There are a number of drivers who desperately need a good weekend, Bottas and Albon being the obvious ones, but Vettel, Sainz and Stroll being the others.

(02-08-2020, 06:17 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  1) Should they change the tyres for next weekend given the higher temperatures and the 4 tyre failures today (Kvyats crash confirmed as tyre failure).

No, the teams will be able to manage it I think.

(02-08-2020, 06:17 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  2) If they don't could we see a three stop race?

My understanding is next weekend's hard is the equivalent of this weekends (just gone) medium. I expect to see medium, hard, hard ias the preferred strategy in the race next weekend. That would be the same as soft, medium, medium with the first weekends compounds. Easily doable IMO, more so if there are safety cars.

(02-08-2020, 06:17 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  3) If they don't change the compounds is Andreas Seidl right about not seeing any running on Friday? I think he might be you know, because they'll need the tyres for Saturday and Sunday.

I'm expecting less running, as we saw in Styria, but I think we will get P2 running with maybe every team splitting the tyre strategy.

(02-08-2020, 06:17 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  4) There are a number of drivers who desperately need a good weekend, Bottas and Albon being the obvious ones, but Vettel, Sainz and Stroll being the others.

Albon was incredibly lucky to score points in the last race whereas Sainz and Bottas were very unlucky. I thought Sainz drove a decent enough race, was surprised by both McLarens not being able to catch Leclerc though. Sainz would be a lot closer to Lando in the WDC without his DNF today. Vettel is clearly questioning the car and if he has the same equipment as his team mate, that is the start of the slippery slope and see him continuing to struggle. Ferrari will concentrate on Leclerc who has at least put himself in the position of lucking into two podiums. Stroll isn't a top level F1 driver, he did not do that car justice in the first Silverstone race.

VB knows there are a lot of races still to go. He doesn't need to panic or even finish ahead of Lewis in every race. It is perfectly feasible another unusual event or poor reliability could get those lost points back for him. It isn't over by a long shot. That said, if every race is "normal" I don't see him outscoring Lewis often enough to get 30 points back. The most important thing is to break Lewis momentum, as if he opens that gap up to 50 points it really will be all over.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

1) Obviously if they don't change the compounds the teams will have to deal, the engineers will definitely earn their wages though.

2) The trouble with the tyre selection for this weekend Morini is the operating temperatures, if the weather forecast is right (when are they ever) then those compounds will be working well outside Pirelli's operating windows. That's potentially dangerous at a high speed track like Silverstone. Also did you mean Medium, Hard, Hard for your stints? Because this weekends medium was last weekends Soft, and in much cooler conditions that was only good for 8 laps. If you mean MHH then maybe you are right, but on stint length this weekend just gone that only gets them to lap 45/46 without SC's.

3) Yeah, that's what I figured too. I think we won't see any quali sims on Friday at all, and we'll see split strategies on tyre running to get the car set up for Sunday, because it'll be a race of atrition if the 38*C temps prove accurate.

4) You see... I have a very different take on Sainz's weekend. He was out qualified by Lando again, had a cracking start (kudos to him) but then never looked like threatening Leclerc, and his team mate was clearly the quicker of the two McLaren's as is emphised by Lando closing a 6 second gap to his team mate (who was at the time running in clean air) in just under 4 laps to be within DRS range. Sainz had an average weekend for me.

Vettel should question the car. Apparently Leclerc has the new floor but Vettel doesn't. Seb had no real running in FP1, FP2 and FP3 har a KERS failure. He's not been given equal equipment, nor opportunities, in Hungary the team screwed him again, and in the Styrian GP Leclerc took him out and didn't take any flak for it. Ferrari are clearly running a single car team this year.

Albon I wholeheartedly concur, I made the same point in the British GP thread. He'd have not scored a single point were it not for tyre failures, and that's not really acceptable. We can say the car looks a handful, but often the quickest cars do, even the Merc on Saturday Lewis was driving looked less than planted. Drive round the problems or work on set up, that's his job, and he isn't doing it.

Stroll... we're in 100% agreement. Next.

Bottas. Well, you see, I think he had a terrible Styrian GP, and realistically under performed his car, ditto Hungary for me. Then here in the British GP he pushed way too hard, ruined his tyres and took life out of his PU and ended up with zero points. Maybe that's an overly harsh way to break it down, but even if we go back to the opening race, Lewis was quicker than him on Sunday. Bottas needs a good weekend soon, because if Lewis scores all three wins in this triple header I think Bottas is done. He'll be praying for multiple mechanical failures on Lewis' car... and how likely is that?

(03-08-2020, 10:53 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  2) The trouble with the tyre selection for this weekend Morini is the operating temperatures, if the weather forecast is right (when are they ever) then those compounds will be working well outside Pirelli's operating windows. That's potentially dangerous at a high speed track like Silverstone. Also did you mean Medium, Hard, Hard for your stints? Because this weekends medium was last weekends Soft

Not sure what you mean there? That's exactly what I said in my post. I'm expecting medium, hard, hard next weekend which is equivalent to soft, medium, medium in the race we just had. Should be easily achievable, the track will be even more rubbered in too.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Yep, my bad, misread your comment, I thought you meant Soft, Medium, Medium from the upcoming weekends allocation. Still, it's tight for a two stop / three stop race on those tyres, especially given the forecast temperatures. I'm not advocating changing the allocation to harder compounds either, I think it poses a nice conundrum to engineers, because going medium, hard, hard you'll be in tyre saving mode, but if you have the allocation, medium, hard, hard, soft at full beans and don't spare the rubber is probably quicker than nursing the car home on two pit stops. Still, that's why these people are paid the money they are. I'm hoping they don't change the tyres.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Yerp, this race needs the different compounds, to at least try and provide a different show. Could be some super quick lap times as a result.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Softer tyres are staying for the second race even though the cause of the failures was indeed wear due to increased forces / load. It wasn't debris as Hamilton thought.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...orces-ever
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Yeah I read the Pirelli report earlier on, there was evidence that a further 6 cars could've been affected by front left tyre blow outs, so RBR absolutely made the right choice to bring Max in it seems. That really does increase the likelihood of a three stop race in my mind because the MHH strategy theoretically from last weekend, even with the two SCs only gets you to lap 50, and who is to say you get two SCs this weekend? It's going to be interesting to see how teams deal with this, but going forward Pirelli might need to bring special tyres to Silverstone, like they do Spa and Monza.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

I'd start on the Hards then switch to the Medium once the fuel load has come down.....go Hard, Hard and rip them up full pelt 21 laps each then 10 laps on the Medium with low fuel....the Mercs are so fast on the straight even with Drs they are a handful to pass..
[+] 2 users Like pennywise's post