2020 70th Anniversary GP

(07-08-2020, 09:21 AM)morini Wrote:  
(07-08-2020, 09:08 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  We will indeed, but we've already got some evidence from past GPs to show they struggle more relatively to others when temps rise... often they're still quicker than most even then though. But a number of Austria, Hungarian and other GPs have proven they have a bigger drop off in peak performance when it's a scorcher.

Yes, historically they have.

However, James Allison said they had been working on improving that weakness and I can only guess that things will have now improved in that department. What I find highly irritating is the conclusion jumping. We've only had one warm session, Mercedes happened to not post quick times in that session (which they didn't in the other cooler session on that day either). Suddenly the media are hyping "oh, look, the Mercedes performance is going to fall away in the heat".

Hot or cold, they have enough performance in hand IMO. The other teams need to step up and the media need to control their excitement when Mercedes are not on top of a practice session! Tell me that when Merc get out qualified due to it being hot. That's where I'm coming from on this one.

Oh no question Merc have performance in hand, especially Lewis, although if they suffer their historic drop off rates Bottas might be nip and tuck with Max, but I still doubt it. I think Allison and co will actually relish the chance to see if their work on this "weakness" (it's relative) has paid off. Hi en how phenomenal the car is this year I wouldn't be surprised to see the gap increase this year in warm weather.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

So Racing Point fined, I'll probably go and talk about it in the technical section after I've digested the ruling. But it seems they've done something they didn't initial disclose to the FIA.

So it looks like Mercedes are still rapid, but hey... Ferrari are within 7 tenths for now. God if you're a Tifosi that's deeply depressing.

(07-08-2020, 11:07 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  So it looks like Mercedes are still rapid, but hey... Ferrari are within 7 tenths for now. God if you're a Tifosi that's deeply depressing.

I think you mean Ferrari are within 1.2 seconds.

Ah, no, I misread the times. Yeah 7 tenths. But its early days and nobody shows hands in P sessions.

Ummm.., why are Mercedes doing long runs on softs at the end of P1? They sure as shit won't be racing on them.

[edit]
Ah, not exactly a long run, just a couple of laps with fuel in. Still, it's a waste of engine mileage isn't it?

Crikey, Lewis' race sim pace on the Soft would still be quicker than Grosjean's quali sim. That Merc is quick. He's a fair bit quicker than Bottas right now circling too, actually a second a lap quicker. Hmmm...

(07-08-2020, 12:20 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Crikey, Lewis' race sim pace on the Soft would still be quicker than Grosjean's quali sim. That Merc is quick. He's a fair bit quicker than Bottas right now circling too, actually a second a lap quicker. Hmmm...

Yebbut, there's no way in a million years they will use that tyre on Sunday.

(07-08-2020, 11:07 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  So Racing Point fined, I'll probably go and talk about it in the technical section after I've digested the ruling. But it seems they've done something they didn't initial disclose to the FIA.

I would appreciate it if you did Jody, from what I've read its as clear as mud!      Confused

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel

It depends Morini, if the the temps are cool throwing them on towards the end of the race, M,H,S might give you a great shot at fastest lap. However, I agree with you, it is highly unlikely, but they could be gathering data, because they're using these compounds in Spain too right? Merc know what they're doing. They could just be getting rid of these tyres early.

(07-08-2020, 12:29 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  from what I've read its as clear as mud!      Confused

Not just you Paps. It's as clear as mud to me too. On the one hand they've broken the rules, o the other the FIA says RP can't "unlearn" what they already know and are fine to continue using their brake duct design. So which is it, you bunch of fuckwits! Grrrr.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Much cooler this afternoon so very different conditions. Mercedes still miles ahead and they're cruising.