2020 70th Anniversary GP

(04-08-2020, 08:09 PM)pennywise Wrote:  I'd start on the Hards then switch to the Medium once the fuel load has come down.....go Hard, Hard and rip them up full pelt 21 laps each then 10 laps on the Medium with low fuel....the Mercs are so fast on the straight even with Drs they are a handful to pass..

Tall order to get through Q2 on hards? Unless of course all the top cars decide to do it.

(05-08-2020, 11:02 AM)morini Wrote:  
(04-08-2020, 08:09 PM)pennywise Wrote:  I'd start on the Hards then switch to the Medium once the fuel load has come down.....go Hard, Hard and rip them up full pelt 21 laps each then 10 laps on the Medium with low fuel....the Mercs are so fast on the straight even with Drs they are a handful to pass..

Tall order to get through Q2 on hards? Unless of course all the top cars decide to do it.
 Tall ask yes but they were over a second clear on the softs of most of the field...bar Max....I think they could make it no probs...

Silverstone has installed a new kerb ahead of the Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix at the exit of Becketts after fears over damage being caused to tyres.

Throughout the British Grand Prix weekend, drivers were seen running close to the edge of the track while exiting Becketts and going into Chapel corner, with many dipping a wheel into the grass.

The drivers would then go from the grass onto the kerb at Chapel, putting added forces on the tyres before going onto the Hangar Straight.

The closing stages of the Silverstone race saw three drivers suffer tyre failures, including race winner Lewis Hamilton, while others reported heavily-cut tyres after late pit stops.

Following the race, the FIA requested the installation of a new kerb at the exit of Becketts ahead of this weekend’s second event at Silverstone.

“To help the drivers adhere to track limits this weekend, at the request of the FIA, a 23 metre section of kerb with taper has been installed at the exit of turn 13 ahead of this weekend’s 70th Anniversary Grand Prix,” a Silverstone spokeswoman confirmed.

A number of drivers also reported cuts in their tyres following Friday’s practice running, which Pirelli F1 boss Mario Isola said could have been caused by debris getting caught at the Chapel kerb.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

This doesn't look as hot as I think peeps were expecting? May even get some rain on Sunday.

[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Checked weather again and even though it won't be as hot as last Friday it would seem the chance on rain on Sunday has now gone. Looks like we will finally get to see if the "Mercedes are slower in hot temperatures" theory is truth or commentator myth.

[+] 2 users Like morini's post

We will indeed, but we've already got some evidence from past GPs to show they struggle more relatively to others when temps rise... often they're still quicker than most even then though. But a number of Austria, Hungarian and other GPs have proven they have a bigger drop off in peak performance when it's a scorcher.

Just to be clear, given Lewis had a 1 second gap back to Max, even if they suffer their usual drop off rate Lewis will still be 0.3 ahead of Max at Silverstone this weekend... which does kinda emphasise what an utter beast that Black Merc is.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Checo test positive again.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hulke...n=widget-1
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(07-08-2020, 09:08 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  We will indeed, but we've already got some evidence from past GPs to show they struggle more relatively to others when temps rise... often they're still quicker than most even then though. But a number of Austria, Hungarian and other GPs have proven they have a bigger drop off in peak performance when it's a scorcher.

Yes, historically they have.

However, James Allison said they had been working on improving that weakness and I can only guess that things will have now improved in that department. What I find highly irritating is the conclusion jumping. We've only had one warm session, Mercedes happened to not post quick times in that session (which they didn't in the other cooler session on that day either). Suddenly the media are hyping "oh, look, the Mercedes performance is going to fall away in the heat".

Hot or cold, they have enough performance in hand IMO. The other teams need to step up and the media need to control their excitement when Mercedes are not on top of a practice session! Tell me that when Merc get out qualified due to it being hot. That's where I'm coming from on this one.

Yeah I saw this earlier on. That's another mandatory 10 day isolation for him and then another test. He'll miss Spain, and then have two weeks to sweat on whether he'll miss Spa. Feel sorry for him a bit, but he knew the rules and why they were there. According to the CDC it takes on average 5 to 6 weeks to get the virus out of your system, even if you don't have symptoms. The WHO say 4 to 5 weeks, but they're not miles apart. For my part it took longer, and when I thought it was gone it came back to kick me in the balls again. I hope Checo isn't feeling too bad, and that he's able to get back racing sooner rather than later.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Asymptomatic, so they say.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post