Fighting the good fight

I read this a little earlier (breaking my golden rule here of not linking to Sky)

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...appointing

A key quote from Andretti in the piece above : In the same interview, Andretti also said that the investigation into a 'noose' found in black NASCAR driver Bubba Wallace garage - which was eventually discovered to be a door-pull - "became bigger than it should be" and that he wished "politics didn't get mixed up with sport".

It is interesting, I find myself a bit conflicted on this and can see both sides. One part of me says Lewis Hamilton has a massive "reach" in terms of influencing and possibly changing people's attitudes and he should be vocal about what he believes in, the other part of me agrees with Andretti in that I think politics and sport are two separate things. Nothing against Lewis using his huge social media following to get his message across but I wish the gestures on a race weekend would stop. Basically I think he should continue to pursue the cause because he feels so passionately about it, however, keep it away from his day job as I can see it becoming a distraction and it is seemingly creating divided opinion. I fully support what he is standing for, by the way, just not convinced about the methods.

I would be interested to hear other peoples views on this one.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

To quote Forza "no one wants to be seen as a racist, its a difficult one"

It is a hard one, for the most part I believe politics & sport, shouldn't mix, it seems all sports are now showing solidarity & are taking the knee, like every other decent human being I think racism is as stupid as stupid gets.

I can understand (like all of us) why Lewis wants to represent for BLM.
(I don't agree with everything they stand for like defunding the police etc)

I also think its great that Liberty & F1 in general are showing support for anti racism & inclusion, thing is if your going to take action at every race do it right because at the moment its embarrassing when some turn up late, even if it looks unintentional like the last minute rush Sunday.

I have said for the most part politics & sport, shouldn't mix, however like the 1974 Lions tour was a success in that it helped start to change (open peoples minds) to stupidity, ie apartheid, so maybe this will contribute to a change for the better.

Pathetic petty politics/politicians has no place in sport, thing is this is important so let him carry on imo, if other drivers are uncomfortable that's their choice to make.

Lewis is marmite, most either love or dislike him, I have no doubt that "some" will dislike him even more for his stance but I believe he's right to use his position to raise awareness.

What better time to show support than at the start of a race when a huge chunk of the World is watching.

Imo of course.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(21-07-2020, 02:40 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  What better time to show support than at the start of a race when a huge chunk of the World is watching.

Imo of course.

Yes bud, I'm not disagreeing but he has millions of followers on social media too. I'm not 100% convinced showing support at every race of the season is necessary and there is no denying it is making some of the drivers feel awkward. Once is fine, but every race?

I hear what you are saying about the 70's lions tour too. But that is slightly different scenario as the political statement was just a side effect of the tour going ahead in the first place. Nobody went out of their way to make political statements during the games themselves. At least not that I remember, but I was only 9 at the time!

I as well believe sport and politics should not mix.

With this specific subject, racism, it has become a impossible discussion. It is almost like if you don't follow the (pretty extreme and not rational) "Black lives matter" movement in every step and word, you are pointed out to be a racist. That is bollocks and makes this subject even more a no-go for sports if you ask me.

To be honest; we humans are evolving for thousands of years and some things are only natural in our genes; we ain't no saints. But, with these thousands of years we evolve forward and forward towards a better society. There are many facts (although the news always points towards the bad, which is also human).
This new impulse in the racism discussion neglects all this and act like there is no positive progression at all and act like we can just turn a switch and everything that has formed over thousands of years evolution will be different.
Just bollocks.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

(21-07-2020, 09:37 PM)morini Wrote:  Yes bud, I'm not disagreeing but he has millions of followers on social media too.
I hear what you are saying about the 70's lions tour too. but I was only 9 at the time!

(22-07-2020, 10:15 AM)Antilochos Wrote:  I as well believe sport and politics should not mix.

It is almost like if you don't follow the (pretty extreme and not rational) "Black lives matter" movement in every step and word, you are pointed out to be a racist.

It is almost like if you don't follow the (pretty extreme and not rational) "Black lives matter" movement in every step and word, you are pointed out to be a racist.

Hi Morini, yeah it is a really hard one & I do see your point, cant see a way that we can get every one to agree on this, so many varied views its hard to get a consensus.

Yup I was an ankle biter too at the time, I just remember being proud of our players getting the South African's on our side, its lived with me since.

Hi Anti, I agree with this  "It is almost like if you don't follow the (pretty extreme and not rational) "Black lives matter" movement in every step and word, you are pointed out to be a racist."

I did post I don't agree with all of the stuff BLM come out with, some of it is over the top & no one imo should be labelled a racist because they have issues with some of their views.

"just bollocks" > Clarity I like that lol Haha   Laughing

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

I missed this thread during my absence from Banter so this just my 2 cents...

I dont think any right minded & decent person would disagree with what Lewis `s wider message is, in this day & age there is no place for racism in any walk of life, unfortunately however "some" humans (term used very loosely)  are complete bellends as we all know and sadly racism does continue.

Getting back on track (see what I done there) I, like the rest of you I dont want to see politics of any description being brought into our sport, yes, I fully understand it is a great opportunity and platform for a very worthy message...but... I dont agree with BLM on many levels and personally would much prefer to see Lewis wear a tshirt matching the rest of his peers and just promote the anti racism message... oh and drop the black power stance/raised fist....are we not supporting equality?....cause the BLM organisation sure af dont!.... honestly I think it does more harm than good, with that said I believe all drivers should still continue to wear the tshirts pre race and stand strong together behind the anti racism message without the ceremony every race.

I personally do not like to have things shoved down my throat, regardless what the subject or how worthy the cause, but it seems the way of the world these days (like Anti has said) if you dont shout as loud as we do, you must be standing against us....and that makes you racist..... well f*ck you, that is just not the case, why should I not be allowed to support or agree with you & your cause without having to actively promote it?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(10-08-2020, 06:18 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I personally do not like to have things shoved down my throat, regardless what the subject or how worthy the cause, but it seems the way of the world these days (like Anti has said) if you dont shout as loud as we do, you must be standing against us....and that makes you racist..... well f*ck you, that is just not the case, why should I not be allowed to support or agree with you & your cause without having to actively promote it?

I'm the same TBH. I know people on here well enough to realise none are racist. And just because I want the symbolic gestures at the start of every race to stop doesn't mean I don't sympathise with the cause and it doesn't make me racist either.

It's starting to grate on me now because I can almost feel the discomfort it is causing some drivers at the start of every race. To the point it's almost cringeworthy. It's not really fair, let them focus on their sport.

Hamilton not planning Belgian GP boycott amid US protests

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamil...=widget-22

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Trust me racism is bad in many countries but here in the USA it is 10 levels higher. Its utterly disgusting to witness.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(27-08-2020, 05:20 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Hamilton not planning Belgian GP boycott amid US protests

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamil...=widget-22

And what are you views on that then? Do you think he should not race and give up the points? 

I'm wondering where all this shit is going to end. As I said earlier, mixing politics and sport isn't ever a good thing. Cue umpteen internet bandwagon jumpers spouting he shouldn't race (when what they really mean is they don't want to see the guy making history).