Thoughts on Mugello?

I confess to never even hearing the name of this track before recent times, far less do I know anything about it.

I visited good old Youtube and watched this Ferrari go around it (Not going to make any jokes about this being a faster Ferrari than the current version Forza!). My first thoughts from the car view point was hell there will be no overtaking on this baby and I had visions of the Hungaroring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4MB4LlTLCI

I read through a few of the comments and was surprised to see so many were positive about the circuit and indeed the prospects of overtaking and the fact that it was a pretty unforgiving layout.  I saw a comment from Pennywise who clearly likes the idea so I wondered what you guys could tell me about it and your thoughts on the upcoming race on a circuit that I was shocked to discover is owned by Ferrari. Shocked because I am ignorant of many things F1!!!

Educate me guys...
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(11-07-2020, 05:20 AM)NeilP Wrote:  I confess to never even hearing the name of this track before recent times, far less do I know anything about it.

I visited good old Youtube and watched this Ferrari go around it (Not going to make any jokes about this being a faster Ferrari than the current version Forza!). My first thoughts from the car view point was hell there will be no overtaking on this baby and I had visions of the Hungaroring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4MB4LlTLCI

I read through a few of the comments and was surprised to see so many were positive about the circuit and indeed the prospects of overtaking and the fact that it was a pretty unforgiving layout.  I saw a comment from Pennywise who clearly likes the idea so I wondered what you guys could tell me about it and your thoughts on the upcoming race on a circuit that I was shocked to discover is owned by Ferrari. Shocked because I am ignorant of many things F1!!!

Educate me guys...

Well, I don't think anyone knows much about it in an F1 sense as there have not been any races there. The guys on here who follow bike racing will know it from Moto GP. F1 has tested there and the drivers seem to like it a lot as (unlike Hungary you refer to) it's a fast circuit full of fast corners.

I'm not 100% convinced it will make a great F1 track for racing. Ian thinks there will be overtaking and I hope he is right (it has a long straight), but I suspect it will be a difficult circuit for F1 cars to follow each other closely around the rest of the lap. I could be completely wrong and am looking forward to finding out as it is something new none of us have seen before.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

The corners are banked, long, have multiple lines through them that lead onto straights, that then lead into breaking zones. There should be overtaking, the elevation changes should also help with driver errors, which again could help with overtaking. It's not guaranteed, nothing is, but in my mind I'd liken it to Autódromo José Carlos Pace in Sao Paulo.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

If Im honest my first thought was "ah sh*t, f1 cars are going to wreck it", its an awesome track for bikes, fast flowing with undulations, I too hope Ian is right, I guess time will tell.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Mugello, fast, scary, old school, what's not to like, with these cars it should I hope be epic!

Speaking with my optimistic head on Wink

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

The drivers love it ....they know there are 2 or 3 great overtaking spots...it will be so easy with Drs to pass down the main straight.....if you choose the slow in fast out of the chicanes then you will be out braked going into them.....and the off camber corners will catch a few folk out.....hope I'm not bigging it up too much for a fall.....but I'm sure it will be exciting.
[+] 4 users Like pennywise's post

On the negative side.....F1 is getting to use the circuit at the expense of Motogp this year Sad

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

That sucks Forza... but on the positive side it's Ferrari's test track (one of them) and they know it well. Plus it's their 1000th GP. So they'll probably double DNF. lol.

Honestly, I'm gutted they're not in it this season, because I'm not sure RBR and Honda are close enough to challenge Mercedes. I'm glad F1 is back, but in a shoot out between Hamilton and Bottas... I don't know, but I'm not likely to bet against Hamilton. We needed Ferrari this season.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(11-07-2020, 10:45 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  That sucks Forza... but on the positive side it's Ferrari's test track (one of them) and they know it well. Plus it's their 1000th GP. So they'll probably double DNF. lol.

Honestly, I'm gutted they're not in it this season, because I'm not sure RBR and Honda are close enough to challenge Mercedes. I'm glad F1 is back, but in a shoot out between Hamilton and Bottas... I don't know, but I'm not likely to bet against Hamilton. We needed Ferrari this season.

Yeah it truly is a great circuit for bikes and with the Valentino Rossi fans going nuts it makes for a fantastic atmosphere, however....the motogp circus will be only a few miles away in Misano....so double racing that weekend...awesome!

Double dnf.....wouldnt surprise me in the slightest, crap as it may be for us red fans it is what it is and Ive accepted & fully expect Ferrari to be chasing their tails all season long unfortunately.

edit: You didnt really believe that did you?......Bollocks to that, Im f*cking raging they have found themselves rudderless, I am f*cking raging Binotto and the team have found themselves in the sh*t state they are......internal squabbles, to have got things so fundamentally wrong last season(s) the shady business with the engine then the way they have handled the Seb exit thing (even if he is partly to blame though some of his performances) really is shameful!

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(11-07-2020, 11:48 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  edit: You didnt really believe that did you?......Bollocks to that, Im f*cking raging they have found themselves rudderless, I am f*cking raging Binotto and the team have found themselves in the sh*t state they are......internal squabbles, to have got things so fundamentally wrong last season(s) the shady business with the engine then the way they have handled the Seb exit thing (even if he is partly to blame though some of his performances) really is shameful!

Sat reading this for a while, I was trying to think of something positive to say, thing is your points are valid, must be a frustrating time. (to point out the obvious)

Positive vibes bud.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post