Mercedes 2020 DAS innovation

So, we all now know the innie outie steering wheel innovation Mercedes introduced in testing 2020 will only benefit them for 1 season. The FIA rules for 2021 say (ripped from sky website) "the re-alignment of the steered wheels… must be uniquely defined by a monotonic function of the rotational position of a single steering wheel". As has been clarified, this was in the rules back in October last year, not introduced as a knee jerk to outlaw this years innovation. The fact it has been deemed legal for this year implies the "effect" of altering the toe angle by pulling / pushing the steering wheel is also legal.

My question:

What is to stop Mercedes simply using a different mechanism next year to provide the same effect? i.e. a button on steering wheel or a lever in the cockpit? Are there any specific rules to prevent them doing that?

The reason I ask is if altering toe angle does provide a tangible performance benefit (tyre warmup, tyre wear etc) then using a push / pull steering wheel is not the only way of activating such a feature. If it works well then I imagine Mercedes will want to keep it and all other teams would be coming up with a similar feature.

I was reading somewhere (can't remember where) that Bottas says Mercedes will definately be using this in Melbourne and it is "working well". I personally didn't see them using it during test2, but then again I was only casually watching a lot of the time.

Seems like an awful lot of effort for 1 season though. My gut feel is they will find a way of keeping this in 2021 if it is effective and other teams might be forced to copy it.

I don't know about next year with the new rules, but have a strong feeling this system is possible one way or the other.

For this year, I see them using it. Would love to see them using it. How much effect it will have I don't know either, but can imagine it does at least a bit (and with these small margins in the sport all bits help).

The big thing for me is this. Mercedes is on top of this game for years, quite comfortable even. And even with this, they are the most innovative team, they come with this totaly new innovation. That is F1, that is how it should be. You must love Mercedes for this idea and for realising it.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

(28-02-2020, 08:54 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  That is F1, that is how it should be. You must love Mercedes for this idea and for realising it.

Absolutely spot on Anti. Agree completely. The minute F1 stops innovation is the minute the sport dies.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

I'm still to find out whether it breaches Parc Ferme or not. I believe Toe angle is locked in as part of Parc Ferme.

I'm quite excited about a potential Toegate in Melbourne, been awhile since we've had any gates.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

(29-02-2020, 11:01 AM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  I'm still to find out whether it breaches Parc Ferme or not. I believe Toe angle is locked in as part of Parc Ferme.

All the reports I've read say Mercedes have been fully transparent with the FIA throughout the development of this DAS thing. Therefore you should take it as read that in the FIA's view it does not breach parc ferme rules. Not sure how any teams can protest if that is true?

Anyway, I wouldn't hold your breath, I don't even think there will be any protests. I was reading on Planet F1 this morning (I have no idea why I read that site, it is one of many shite F1 sites that ping up on my phone feed every day) that Red Bull claim it is worth 2 tenths per lap. How they can come to that conclusion is anyone's guess? Take that with a large pinch of salt, especially with PF1 reporting it. My thinking is more around it helping with tyre warm and tyre wear rather than out and out lap time, but what do I know?

My initial question still stands though. What is to stop Mercedes (or anyone else) doing the same thing in 2021 but actuating the feature in some other way? The 2021 rule I give above addresses steering wheel movement, it say diddly squat about changing toe angles dynamically.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post