2020 Australian GP - event cancelled

(12-03-2020, 11:15 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Never has Steiner`s words rang more true

Yup...…..   Rolleyes

(09-03-2020, 03:15 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Just renewed my SKY F1 package, was thinking of using the "now tv" weekend pass with so much uncertainty about races, but only £15 (per month) with Virgin instead of £30 last year, happy days.

Bollox    Cry   Shutup

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Woke up to the confirmation race is off. Don't know why I'm disappointed, we all knew it yesterday evening. It will be interesting to see how Sky approach the disillusioned subscribers who already feel they don't get value for money. I don't even know what it really costs me as I have subscribed for so long it has always been kind of "bundled" into the overall cost (I don't have any other sports channels just Sky sport F1 in UHD). What I do know is I pay for the Sky F1 channel all year round and it has zero value during winter months.

I still firmly believe this one should have gone ahead given the damage is already done. But the teams made the choice based on the health and safety of their staff and we all have to respect that,

WTF are we going to do with our weekends now peeps? I fear the worst and  fully expect this virus to cancel many more races.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Given the spread of the virus, and quite frankly how certain countries aren't dealing with it (looking at you Sweden, USA and UK) this infection is going to be around for 5 to 6 months according to the WHO. The only country not to have any cases are countries where they aren't testing. So yeah, think we can safely say it's everywhere. So at this point I'm not sure shutting down travel is if much use. However, big crowds of people packed in tightly for hours on end? That's dumb. I actually expect Bahrain to go ahead as it'll be behind closed doors, they've set up quarantine zones in and around hotels in preparation for the teams. Vietnam though? No chance. I'd also question the Spanish GP as sporting event in Spain look like they're shutdown for now. The Dutch authorities are weighing up shutting down all sporting events too. I'll wait and see how it plays out, but I doubt we'll have much of a season left. We currently have 5 countries on the calendar who have shut down their borders to people coming from Europe, with no sign those restrictions will be lifted anytime soon.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

AMuS wrote that Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Renault and McLaren were against the GP to continue to take place from Thursday giving fans time to cancel travel plans etc. At first Mercedes wanted to drive but Toto got a call from Stuttgart telling him they were making the decision not to race.

McLaren confirms 14 members of the team (plus the confirmed case) will be in quarantine in the team hotel for 14 days. Senior management staying here to support, others cleared to pack down and return to UK, where they will avoid MTC for 14 days as a precaution.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Formula 1 could be looking at starting the 2020 season at Baku in June, Motorsport.com has learned, amid growing indications that coronavirus will disrupt events for months.

With the Australian Grand Prix having already been officially cancelled, the sport's chiefs are expected to confirm imminently that next weekend's Bahrain GP and the following event in Vietnam will now be postponed.

Sources have indicated that in the wake of the chaos in Melbourne, when a McLaren team member was diagnosed with coronavirus, a number of teams have already indicated that they will not be competing in Bahrain.

Vietnam's situation has also become untenable amid strict new travel restrictions that have been put in place as a result of the country's efforts to try to contain the coronavirus outbreak

But with growing indications that the global pandemic is only going to get worse in Europe over the next few weeks, F1 is now bracing itself for also calling off the Dutch, Spanish and Monaco Grands Prix.

That could mean F1 waiting until the Baku Grand Prix on June 7 for its first race, as it then tries to slot in a reduced calender thereafter.

Ferrari, Sauber, Alpha Tauri and Renault were all going to be hit fairly hard, their entire team or important parts of the team are based in areas that have been hit hard by Covid19. And of course McLaren have the same problem as Renault, given where their engines come from, Viry-Châtillon, which as an area has been hit by Covid19. It was never going to be fair to these teams to give the go ahead for Australia, and some of the other races. F1 should have just got real, Ross Brawn saying no one could have predicted this, when over a months ago the WHO predicted exactly these issues, it's a joke. No one wanted to be the grown up and say "we can't do this".
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(13-03-2020, 08:14 AM)morini Wrote:  WTF are we going to do with our weekend now peeps? 

Deep joy mate, IndyCar's still going on Sunday...…       Tongue    Laughing

(13-03-2020, 01:23 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Deep joy mate, IndyCar's still going on Sunday...…       Tongue    Laughing

I look forward to that. Doubt it will improve my mood much though Sad
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Proof from earlier today one hand hasnt a f*cking clue what the other is doing....

FOM statement: "Formula 1 and the FIA expect to begin the championship in Europe at the end of May."

FIA statement: "Formula 1 and the FIA expect to begin the championship in Europe on 1st May."

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Well, I found it very exciting last night, followed it right up to sleepy times.
The first episode of Drive to Survive, has to cover this in depth, plenty of renaming going on Survive to Drive, Drive or Survive.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post