Wow, what a lap Valterri!!

(26-11-2017, 07:23 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  
(26-11-2017, 04:31 PM)morini Wrote:  
(26-11-2017, 04:27 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Missed the race today.
Worth watching full replay, or wait for the highlights compilation?

Watch it on fast forward. It was very, very dull. Pleased VB bounced back though, he has shown on occasion he has the speed, he just needs some consistency.

That was indeed a dull race.
Maybe the most boring one of the season?
Yes, not often we see the top 12 cars in same position after lap 1

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

(25-11-2017, 04:55 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Bottas does not lack speed in qualifying, he lacks that race instinct in the race.
I would not be suprised if Hamilton or Vettel do the same thing to Bottas as Vettel did last race.
What Bottas is lacking are the same engine settings as his teammate. Bottas sucked after the summer break, his teammate becomes champion and all of a sudden Bottas is quick again... I smell a rat. And since most (not all) die-hard Hamilton fans keep up with the "Rosberg was gifted the 2016 championship" and "Merc sabotaged Hamilton in favour of Rosberg" stories they must believe this as well. Bottas got shafted..

(27-11-2017, 08:58 AM)ReneSpeksnijder Wrote:  
(25-11-2017, 04:55 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Bottas does not lack speed in qualifying, he lacks that race instinct in the race.
I would not be suprised if Hamilton or Vettel do the same thing to Bottas as Vettel did last race.
What Bottas is lacking are the same engine settings as his teammate. Bottas sucked after the summer break, his teammate becomes champion and all of a sudden Bottas is quick again... I smell a rat. And since most (not all) die-hard Hamilton fans keep up with the "Rosberg was gifted the 2016 championship" and "Merc sabotaged Hamilton in favour of Rosberg" stories they must believe this as well. Bottas got shafted..

You could be right, but we both can't be certain also.

I still stay with my point of view, that Bottas lacks a true race spirit. It's not just his teammate I compare him to. The struggled with both the Ferrari and both Red Bull drivers to in a fight on Sunday. Even if it's true and Bottas lacks the same settings as his teammate, the Mercedes is still far superior then the other cars. 
Again, this is just my point of view and I could be wrong. Maybe Bottas will prove me wrong next season (and I will be the first to admit it), but for now, he has a low standard in my book.

(27-11-2017, 08:58 AM)ReneSpeksnijder Wrote:  

Sorry, but I cannot agree with that, I cannot see Merc screwing Bottas over, just as last year I don`t believe the team screwed Lewis.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(27-11-2017, 06:56 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Sorry, but I cannot agree with that, I cannot see Merc screwing Bottas over, just as last year I don`t believe the team screwed Lewis.

Me either. No way would Merc jeopardise results by trying to sabotage one of their own cars. Last year Lewis reliability issues were bad luck, but in fairness Rosberg was in a position to capitalise on that bad luck.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the-d...m-1033395/

"If things had gone differently in the three most recent races, Valtteri Bottas might have scored a hat-trick. The Finn needed to up his game to earn a new contract at Mercedes, and his form so for this campaign suggests that's what he's done."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/botta...82/?nrt=54

Mercedes Formula 1 driver Valtteri Bottas says it's "disappointing and amazing" that he is yet to win a grand prix in 2018.   (been bloody unlucky too.)

Trailing teammate Lewis Hamilton by 97 points, Bottas said he was open to helping the Briton in the run-in of this year's title campaign.
And the Finn, who lost a surefire victory in Azerbaijan earlier this year when he ran over debris and suffered a puncture, concedes that an early resolution to the title race would make it easier for him to pursue an end to his winless treak.
“For me, it’s quite disappointing and amazing that I haven’t won a race this year,” he said. “It’s been quite close many times, especially in the first third of the season.

"I really want to win races, that’s why I’m here.
“I don’t think the only way the next few races is that Lewis is secure in the title. If I have a good pace, a good qualifying, I’m strong in the race, I think I can definitely win - but for sure it’s a bit more simple if Lewis secures the title.
“I don’t really want to think about it too much. As long as I perform well, then hopefully I will get the results I deserve.”
Bottas says that Singapore presents as good a chance as any to break his 2018 duck, given the unpredictability associated with the event.
“You never know. You saw what happened last year! It’s racing, and we go there with the mindset that anything can happen. Hopefully we can be more competitive there than we were last year, compared to other teams. It is tricky at the moment.
“The Ferrari is quick everywhere. Red Bull will be quick in Singapore. For us, we don’t really know how competitive we are going to be, but we are going to go there, try to get more points than Ferrari.”

Bottas believes that the two top teams remain closely matched, and that tyre usage is the key from weekend to weekend.

“It is not much. I think they have a little bit more power, more straightline speed, and in the corners the difference is minimal. It depends on the corners, it depends on which team gets the tyres working better.

“In Spa, we were blistering the tyres, [in Monza] Ferrari was and we weren’t.
"It is very close – there is not much in the cars, so it definitely will be interesting seeing in Singapore if we have made improvements for that kind of track, but I think all the tracks coming up it really depends how good the upgrades we are bringing are going to be, and which upgrade they are going to bring.
"Any small gain is going to be a big benefit.”

Expect some of you clever buggers know this already but I enjoyed Valtteri's car comparison

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

He isn’t wrong is he? However on the part about winning, sorry Valtteri but you are there to cover Lewis and he knows it, he was unlucky in Baku but so was Seb? Germany was his only other strong race but he got his orders and from then on that will be his Legacy for me, they kept him over Ricciardo who I do not think is as consistent but is more “racy” and dynamic, sorry Valtteri but I think your time in that seat is very limited.
[+] 3 users Like LotusLover's post

I have said it before and I do not mean it in a derogatory fashion he would make a great Ferrari number 2 driver.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Holy thread ressurection Batman!

What happened last year could happen this year (i.e. Hamilton secures WDC with some races to go), but I doubt it. It's been far too close this year and it is almost certainly going to the wire. The only way VB can win races this year is

1. LH has already secured the title. We've seen in the past he loses interest once the title fight is over.
2. LH is not in the race (or well down the field), Mercedes would then want the lad to take as many points off the competition as possible.

If Valterri is leading and LH is behind then Mercedes will do the shuffle I reckon. Exacly the same for the red cars too.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post