2019 Driver Performance List

Morini asked for it and who am I to deny the company CEO!!!

I get this is a very subjective list by someone who does not have as much understanding as others and of course it is purely my viewpoint. Once you get past the worst 4/5 drivers it is brutally tough and I changed my mind several times.

20. Romain Grosjean. Grossly under performed even in a car that failed to live up to expectations. The Haas team are losing direction in my eyes and frankly should have dropped both their drivers after an abysmal year.

19. Antonio Giovinazzi. He is just not an F1 quality driver. He finished so far behind his team mate who admittedly is a distant former WDC (distant being the important word here). He is just keeping the seat warm for Young Schumacher in my opinion.

18. Robert Kubica. Harsh as it may seem his comeback was a failure in all but human terms. His inability to beat his team mate in a single race qualification is perhaps the most damning of statistics in F1 last season. Love the spirit hate the results.

17. Lance Stroll. Another disappointing year for Lance apart from his 4th place finish at Germany (which lets be honest is a freak result) he did little to nothing and finished so far behind his team mate. Nice guy but I do not think he belongs in F1.

16. Pierre Gasly.  At first thought this is a very harsh placement but when you take into account his performance in a top 3 car I don't think so.  He never got close to getting the best out of the Red Bull. His replacement Albon only failed to finish out of the top 6 on one occasion when in the seat Gasly lost. I give him a lot of credit for bouncing back and his second placed finish in Brazil was outstanding.

15. Kevin Magnussen. Too reckless, too inconsistent. On his day he can be a decent enough F1 driver but just too many mistakes. The Haas team is a mess and whilst the car takes a good portion of the blame the drivers are in my opinion one of the worst pairings on the grid.

14. Nico Hulkenberg. Its about here it gets harder to place drivers in order for me. I like Nico he absolutely belongs in the sport and I am sad he has gone (Haas are you looking at this!) However the bottom line here is he was soundly beaten by his team mate which is always the starting point I feel for judging relative performance. His star as they say is waning fast. This is one of many drivers who I feel would have justified driving a top car.

13. Kimi Raikonnen. The season started really well for both driver and team but faded. I would love some explanation for this drop off by the Alfa team. Not a bad season and in fairness his results were probably better than the car he drove. I think 2020 will be his last year.

12. Daniil Kvyat. A good comeback year for Daniil he certainly proved he belongs in F1 Still a little reckless ala Magnussen but has probably done enough to get a look at by other teams after 2020.

11. Sebastian Vettel. Harsh? Not really I had him lower than this at some stages of my list. Under performed massively given the car. Beaten by a first year team mate despite getting the number 1 status for most of the season. I just don't think he is a top driver any more he makes way too many mistakes has lost his mojo in wheel to wheel situations. Its hard to see a future for Vettel 2020 is huge for him it may be his last.

10. George Russell. I know this is desperately high for a guy who finished last in the table but I really felt he got everything and some out of a what is almost a Formula 2 performing car. I feel sorry he is in such a terrible team and it must kill him to see especially Norris and Albon in such decent teams. I hope he gets a break down the road I feel he could be a major talent.

9. Sergio Perez. Classic example of a guy who has the talent to be an F1 driver but will never get the chance to drive a truly competitive car. He always maximized his opportunities and I think is very well suited to being a Racing Point driver. Destroyed his team mate and had some good races this season in a team that is going backwards pretty fast in my eyes.

8. Daniel Ricciardo. Five DNF’s and a disqualification did not help his season. Does he regret his move to Renault who knows. I think he got as much out of the season and car as could be expected. Again he beat his team mate. I really want to see him in a top car as much as we go on about Verstappen and Leclerc being future World Driver Champions I think this guy MAY have one in him.

7.  Valtteri Bottas. The season started well for him and there was talk of him being a possible WDC. Did not happen. Is he a truly top driver I say no. On his day he is a tough competitor but wheel to wheel is often found wanting. Frankly amazed he is still with Mercedes but he is unquestionable an amiable team mate for Hamilton. 2020 will probably be his last at Mercedes.

6. Lando Norris. It was great to see so many young drivers perform so well and we can add Lando to that list he along with Sainz have invigorated the McLaren team (which is awesome from a British perspective) I am not ready to proclaim him as highly as Verstappen and Leclerc but he is certainly one to watch for the future and if McLaren can progress with the Mercedes engine it will be fascinating to see.

5. Alexander Albon.  From not having a drive in F1 to finishing as a driver in a top 3 car during the year is an amazing feat. He finished in the top 6 in all of his races apart from 1 in the Red Bull top team. It will be one of the main things to watch in 2020 to see after a season of familiarizing himself with the team and the car what he can do. He has that something I cannot explain I think he will push Verstappen next season.

4. Carlos Sainz.  Reinstated himself as a top driver. Is he the new Hulkenberg?  Has masses of talent but will never get the seat his abilities deserve? Personally if I am Ferrari I am targeting this guy for 2021 ( I am not sure of his contract status not that means much) He has formed a super driving team at McLaren with Norris and they get on very well that could change next year. A great year for a very talented driver.

2=. Max Verstappen. A great year by Max he matured a lot (but still has that blinkered vision at times) and wrung as much as he could from the Red Bull car. I think a good year for Honda their engine made a lot of progress. He remains a WDC in waiting but another year has passed. I was somewhat surprised he signed on again with Red Bull so early for the future I assume he has some major insight to the teams future progress. I think both Ferrari and Mercedes would have jumped at the chance of signing him.

2=. Charles Leclerc. First year in a competitive team with the added pressure of being a Ferrari driver. He beat his 4 time WDC team mate despite being badly served by an inadequate Ferrari pit wall team especially early in the season. There is no doubt he is a future champion and I think he will beat Max to that title it may even come in 2020 that would not be a shock to me.

1. Lewis Hamilton. What is there really to say 6 times World Champion. Gets better every year in my book even when not in the better car (at times this season and past seasons) still turned out and performed well. Got the maximum from his car, made so few mistakes. He will be the favourite to win again next season but I think its will be a three team fight for real before we set the clock back to zero in 2021.

This was a lot harder to do than at first I thought but it was fun. Agree or disagree be great to see some other opinions as always
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

Nice post Neil. I don't think my version would be too much different. But we'll never know as I am far too lazy to put the effort in Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like morini's post