Thread Closed

Slow news month

Call me cynical, but much like the CLC extension I don't think it means an awful lot. There will be performance related get out clauses left right and centre.

I am very surprised at the salary though. Isn't that around the same level Lewis negotiated last time round with Mercedes? And him already being a multiple WDC at that stage. A lot of money for a driver who is yet to win anything I reckon.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

F1 RULES & REGULATIONS: What’s new for 2020?

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/artic...ntN64.html

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Marko feared Mercedes would poach Verstappen.

Red Bull motorsport advisor, Dr Helmut Marko, feared Max Verstappen could have been snapped up by Mercedes if he had not signed a new deal with the team.

Verstappen’s old contract was due to expire at the end of the 2020 season but, on Tuesday, Red Bull announced that the Dutchman had signed a new three-year contract extension which will run until the end of the 2023 campaign.

With rumours swirling around Lewis Hamilton potentially joining Ferrari, Red Bull envisaged that move would have then made Verstappen number one priority for the Silver Arrows.

“It was difficult for us to estimate what the exact story is between Ferrari and Hamilton,” Marko told Auto Motor und Sport.

"But it was clear that Mercedes must act if Hamilton were to go to Ferrari in 2021. Max would have been the first driver they’d aim for.

“That was a very important step for us. Now we can look to the future with more confidence.”

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

A few nice pics of Michael Schumachers (2002) Schuberth lid with head-up display visor

(pics: Darren Jack)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Formula 1 is starting the process of looking at future engines for the sport following the decision to continue using the current V6 hybrid power units until 2024 or 2025, and the sport's chief technical officer, Pat Symonds, believes two-stroke engines could be the answer.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/2...zQ.twitter

[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(11-01-2020, 04:40 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Formula 1 is starting the process of looking at future engines for the sport following the decision to continue using the current V6 hybrid power units until 2024 or 2025, and the sport's chief technical officer, Pat Symonds, believes two-stroke engines could be the answer.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/2...zQ.twitter

Well its getting watered down all time why dont we just just to peddle cards now.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(12-01-2020, 12:40 AM)NeilP Wrote:  
(11-01-2020, 04:40 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  sport's chief technical officer, Pat Symonds, believes two-stroke engines could be the answer.

Well its getting watered down all time why dont we just just to peddle cards now.

Hi bud.    Big Grin

Ok another view, I've not ridden big road bikes like Morini & forza, but I grew up on 2 stroke crossers, keeping in mind the development in the 40yrs since, they scared the crap out of me back then! (smashed myself up so many times lol) never to this day have I been on a machine that accelerates like a 2 stroke high revving scary bastard crosser! 

So 40 yrs later I'll bet a 2 stroke F1 engine would be a MONSTER!    Cool

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(12-01-2020, 02:53 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Ok another view, I've not ridden big road bikes like Morini & forza, but I grew up on 2 stroke crossers, keeping in mind the development in the 40yrs since, they scared the crap out of me back then! (smashed myself up so many times lol) never to this day have I been on a machine that accelerates like a 2 stroke high revving scary bastard crosser! 

So 40 yrs later I'll bet a 2 stroke F1 engine would be a MONSTER!    Cool

This ^^^^

<nostalgia>
When I was an early teenager all of my peer group who were into motorcycles (myself included) aspired to one machine, the Yamaha RD350. For those who don't know, this was an air cooled two stroke masterpiece and had performance far exceeding it's cubic capacity. Four stroke machines of the same era (less than 500cc) were very slow and mundane by comparison. I did eventually own one myself, though unfortunately not the air cooled early version, I had a 350LC (liquid cooled) and it was an absolute hooligan of a thing. Got my first speeding ticket on it.
</nostalgia>

I have fallen away from motorcycles and motorcycle sport in recent years, but in my opinion the 500cc two stroke era was the pinnacle of moto GP. At least for people of my generation.

As for Symmonds comments, I'm not sure if it will transpire that F1 cars use two stroke hybrid engines but from a performance perspective it sounds perfectly feasible to me. I would embrace it as a good thing and it would add two extra "sensory delights" to attending races in person - the two stroke scream and the wonderful smell!

<breaths deeply>
Aaaahhhhh, Castrol R!
</breaths deeply>
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(12-01-2020, 11:31 AM)morini Wrote:  When I was an early teenager all of my peer group who were into motorcycles (myself included) aspired to one machine, the Yamaha RD350. 

in my opinion the 500cc two stroke era was the pinnacle of moto GP. At least for people of my generation.

Aaaahhhhh, Castrol R!

*All* of my friends wanted an RD350, those that did have one would regularly upset lads on bigger bikes by blowing them away, what a weapon these machines were, around the roads/lanes where I live they were unbeatable.

Yup even if these new Moto GP are quicker in my view there was nothing like a high revving 2 stroke to scare the crap out of person crazy enough to take it any where near its limits, most of my favourite riders are from this era.

The sound, the smell....   Cool

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Lewis stepping up to the plate

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...ire-relief

Danny Ricc also doing his bit for his Country, lets hope these fires can finally be brought under control and let people get back to their lives and rebuild what they have lost.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post
Thread Closed