Poll: If I was Frédéric Vasseur I’d pick... - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Ericsson - Daddy’s boy
0%
0%
Weherlein - Merc’s boy
11.11%
11.11%
Leclerc - The chosen one
55.56%
55.56%
Giovinazzi- Marchionne’s boy
33.33%
33.33%
Kvyat - The Torpedo
0%
0%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Who should Sauber pick?

Ericsson arse saved then

Lucky chap
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Morini, yep, Ericsson, the lagom F1 driver (look it up, it’s a Swedish term). He’s dreadful, and in my opinion the least deserving F1 driver I’ve seen in a very, very long time. Four season and done fuck all. I’m with the Professor on this one, the tastiest combo would’ve been Wehrlein vs Leclerc. No question. Although I’d have taken Giovinazzi as well, if for no other reason than his ultimate one lap pace has always been damn impressive no matter the Formula.

It does raise an interesting question though all of this. Essentially the grid has two drivers who are their... well... because of daddy. Stroll and Ericsson. In Stroll’s case I’ll grant you, he did good things in junior Formula and has had his moments in his rookie season, but Ericsson has never impressed, so should the F1 grid have to rely on paid drivers? I don’t think so. I have a potential solution I’ve actually sent to Liberty Media, but I might post that later in another thread, but this has got to stop.

We have an interesting conundrum building up in the sport. Mercedes now have Russell and Wehrlein, both drivers easily capable of F1, now with no easy route into the sport. McLaren have the exceptional Norris, who also faces a similarly tough battle to find a seat in 2019. Red Bull have Ticktum and Verschoor, who quite frankly will be knocking on Toro Rosso’s door in 2019... and Giovinazzi still hasn’t got a seat.

Ferrari have Sauber and potentially Haas as feeder teams. Red Bull have Toro Rosso. Mercedes and McLaren are stumped. The grid is way too small. I can justify knocking Stroll and Ericsson off of it without a problem, I’m then really struggling to easily justify loosing anyone else. Magnussen maybe, and Grosjean, simply because I hate his face and his incessant whinging. Gasly and Hartley have earned their rights to be their, but now must produce. Beyond that though... fair enough, it’s a really strong grid, and even Magnussen and Grosjean are clearly good enough (if not quite top drawer).
[+] 5 users Like Jody Barton's post

just read Rachel brooks piece on sky:

"Post-race Liberty were trying another one of their ideas. They divided the TV crews into two driver pens. One for live crews and one for non-live crews.

In theory this is actually a good idea . . . All sorts of scenarios would throw the plan out. For example, if a driver battling for the championship finished outside the top 10 there is a risk you could miss your interview with them. Also the live TV pen was a line rather than a square so there was little room to move and drivers were crisscrossing over each other to get to interviews . . . As it was we did get to speak everyone we needed to and without any real issues but maybe by luck rather than judgement"

not sure Liberty are quite ready for making any big decisions yet, especially if they involve common sense, but would love to see your proposal myself bud

as to drivers, I think Kmag has shown this year more than any other I've seen of him, he's willing to get the elbows out and fight for his "team" and very funny on Romain, always gives me a giggle when bash him, haha -

As for McLaren and Merc, there's no reason at all the Merc giant, shouldn't have another proper feeder team, not sure about McLaren's financial structure if they could do this though

from the Lagom of posters - haha Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

I agree with you Jody, Its probably the strongest grid we have seen in a long time. Bar Ericsson and Stroll, who just seemed to get worse. One shine with the Monza wet qualifying, other than that, completely useless.

I'm in the Weherlien and Leclerc party. The more I think about how Gioniazzi performed when he was subbed into the Sauber, it has damaged his rep from my view. However, it was very quick for him and he probably just tried to hard.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

Hey Monster, by the way good to see you on here, I think you’re a tad harsh on Giovinazzi. He out qualified Ericsson in Australia and China right? He drove wonderfully in Australia, and was on the edge of the points. In China he made some errors, but we also now know he may have had issues with his kinetic recovery system on the rear axle as they changed it for the next race for Wehrlein. Prior to that he was also embarrassing Ericsson again.. but I do concede that yes, he’s probably blotted his copy book.

(04-12-2017, 09:18 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Hey Monster, by the way good to see you on here, I think you’re a tad harsh on Giovinazzi. He out qualified Ericsson in Australia and China right? He drove wonderfully in Australia, and was on the edge of the points. In China he made some errors, but we also now know he may have had issues with his kinetic recovery system on the rear axle as they changed it for the next race for Wehrlein. Prior to that he was also embarrassing Ericsson again.. but I do concede that yes, he’s probably blotted his copy book.

You're right, I have been too harsh. I was unaware there was a known issue in China, and overlooked the good performances. We reckon he's in the Sauber for 2019, he's got a bunch of practice outings next season.

I even think if Leclerc starts well (which he will) there might be pressure on Sauber from Fiat to do a Toro Rosso, I.e. drop Ericsson for Giovinazzi. Don’t get me wrong Giovinazzi has gone from hero to zero in junior Formula as well pushing the limits... there have been two recent drivers who also did similar at times... Hamilton and Verstappen. Not saying he’s in their league, but if you can’t learn where the ‘edge’ is when you are young you’ll never find it. I think Giovinazzi has shown enough to suggest he deserves a good shot at F1.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(05-12-2017, 07:22 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I even think if Leclerc starts well (which he will) there might be pressure on Sauber from Fiat to do a Toro Rosso, I.e. drop Ericsson for Giovinazzi. Don’t get me wrong Giovinazzi has gone from hero to zero in junior Formula as well pushing the limits... there have been two recent drivers who also did similar at times... Hamilton and Verstappen. Not saying he’s in their league, but if you can’t learn where the ‘edge’ is when you are young you’ll never find it. I think Giovinazzi has shown enough to suggest he deserves a good shot at F1.

I get that feeling too, think RedBull/Torro/Renault may have started a new trend dump dead weight fast. Not that Kyvat was dead weight, he was probably Torro Rosso only hope of point scoring in the final 2017 races. But TR just wanted the jump on 2018 which is fair, considering the cash Honda are bringing probably out weighed WCC position and prize fund.

You never know, given the car Gio could be on the top tier : P
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

Giovinazzi has at times shown real pace, and not inconsiderable amounts of race craft, he’s talented, no doubt about it. A rough diamond though that needs polishing. For me he’s not quite as complete as his young peers like Leclerc, Verstappen, Sainz and Ocon. He’s in the Gasly mold for me, all the parts are there, they just need to know how to put it together now. Maybe they will, maybe they won’t, in much the same vein I feel similar things about Wehrlein and Vandorne, although they’re much closer to being 5he finished article. Such a good young crop of drivers, we need more cars on the grid, or more retirements!
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post