Silverstone - Hope for the Future?

I have not heard much about the future of the British GP for a while so I was pretty pleased over the last 24 hours to read that Liberty had considered moving the 2019 race (which is scheduled to be the last race under the current contract) to April so it would be the 1000th GP race.

Whilst it means nothing concrete for the races future, the possible intention to consider that move and the acknowledgement by Sean Bratches how iconic and important the British GP has been is at least encouraging.  It does not guarantee there will be a future as money talks in this day and age and probably also has the loudest voice but given the fan support and the fact most of the teams have bases in the UK I am very hopeful.

It does however reinforce my hatred of the Monaco GP. They pay nothing or next to nothing and let us be frank here its not a race its a procession of low speed cars. Iconic... says who? It really does little or nothing for F1 in my opinion it is the most boring event on the calendar.

Will I watch it, of course but man its a tough thing and it is only ever interetsing in my eyes if it rains!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

"reinforce my hatred of the Monaco GP"

Hi Neil, you will find many people dislike Monaco nearly as much as you lol, qualifying can be incredible, I look back with huge fondness at some of my F1 hero's doing a low fuel balls out qualifying lap, edge of the seat stuff where talent can overcome a weaker car, personally I really enjoy Saturday, Sunday (unless it rains) not so much, I have come to the conclusion its parade/exhibition for the rich & famous, hoping next weekend proves me wrong! Haha.

As for the British GP like you I'm hoping It's a good sign they thought about us having the 1000th, weather in April would have been interesting.....

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(17-05-2018, 02:54 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  "reinforce my hatred of the Monaco GP"

Hi Neil, you will find many people dislike Monaco nearly as much as you lol, qualifying can be incredible, I look back with huge fondness at some of my F1 hero's doing a low fuel balls out qualifying lap, edge of the seat stuff where talent can overcome a weaker car, personally I really enjoy Saturday, Sunday (unless it rains) not so much, I have come to the conclusion its parade/exhibition for the rich & famous, hoping next weekend proves me wrong! Haha.

As for the British GP like you I'm hoping It's a good sign they thought about us having the 1000th, weather in April would have been interesting.....

I think my favourite Monaco memory was watching Nigel Mansell chase down Ayrton Senna, talk about all over the back of a car it was breathtaking driving from both guys but at the end Senna hit every single line, pulled off every defensive move and held on for the win!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Former grand prix driver David Coulthard has been elected as president of the British Racing Drivers' Club.

The Scotsman, who won 13 grands prix in a Formula 1 career that spanned from 1994 to 2008, will take over from Paddy Hopkirk after he had been in the role since 2017.

Coulthard had been widely tipped for the role, which he will fulfil alongside his current broadcasting commitments for Channel 4 and his involvement with the new W Series.

John Grant, Chairman of the BRDC, said: "I and my fellow board Members are delighted to welcome David Coulthard as president of the BRDC.

"We are confident that, in David, we have a president who is not only a greatly talented racing driver but also a successful businessman with an enviable network of contacts in the motorsport world which, together with his experience, should be of great benefit to the club."

Coulthard was elected at this week's BRDC AGM, which also confirmed that Dario Franchitti would become a vice-president of the club.

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

I could swear DC let this news slip during an interview with EJ over the Silverstone weekend (C4 coverage).....or did I just dream it?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(27-09-2019, 04:55 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I could swear DC let this news slip during an interview with EJ over the Silverstone weekend (C4 coverage).....or did I just dream it?

You are probably right mate, if I had of heard it back then its quite possible I've forgotten lol.    Confused    Laughing

(27-09-2019, 05:02 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  You are probably right mate, if I had of heard it back then its quite possible I've forgotten lol.    Confused    Laughing

Was surprised motorsport only printed the story today buddy.....unless it was only made official today. Whatever the reason I hope he can help Silverstone thrive.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(27-09-2019, 05:30 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Whatever the reason I hope he can help Silverstone thrive.

+1 mate  Cool