2019 United States GP

Or as it'll be known the Lewis Hamilton victory parade. He'll definitely win it in Austin barring and absolute disaster, and it's thoroughly deserved. He was dominant in the first half of the season when the Mercedes was clearly the quickest car he maximised his advantage and dealt all the damage he could. Hell, even post summer break he's done pretty much the very best he could, even when the Ferrari are clearly the quicker car he's done his best, I still think he could have one stopped in Japan and won. He's always there. I don't think anyone can begrudge him this title.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

No question he deserves to win that said I am impressed with Ferraris comeback in the second half of the season. I thought the Ferrari pit wall would get better as the season progressed but it has not. If they can maintain this lead with their car next year will be something super close.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Well, much as people say Ferrari have the fastest car (I would be forced to agree in quali trim), the points table doesn't ever lie. This is the WDC since the three week summer break. I don't need to point out the obvious.

Closer than the first half of the season, but it is no surprise the best driver on the grid is at the top (even though he is not in the fastest car). And Mr bell end Marko let me tell you Alex Albon deserves to keep that seat next year.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

I think in quali trim now you'd be a fool not to argue the Ferrari is quickest. In race trim too I'd say they have had the edge due to their prodigious straight line speed, but it isn't as clear cut. For me they were clearly quickest in Spa, and Russia in race trim. You could argue Monza too, but Singapore and Japan have been mixed. I happen to think Mexico is the first race where honestly any of the top 3 teams could've won it, I guess RBR looked quickest in Max's hands. I think CotA will probably suit Ferrari over one lap, but depending on tyre Deg it might swing towards Mercedes on Sunday, but I still think Ferrari should have a car on the top step. But hey, you count out Merc and Lewis at your peril. Will look forward to seeing what happens next weekend. I expect it all to be wrapped up.

Hamilton needs 1 8th placed finish in three races I think COTA barring a miracle will be the crowning race. Even if he failed to finish Bottas would have to win the race to take it on to Brazil.

I think we should all enjoy next season because beyond that who knows what crap Liberty are going to introduce.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Yeah, the maths look pretty grim for Bottas, it's realistically all been over for quite some time, all that's left now is to determine just how crushing a victory it'll be. My gut says Lewis has a shot of winning this title by at least 3 clear race victories. Not sure he'll hit the 100 points clear mark with only 3 races to go, but he might get close.

Interesting two sessions, that running Merc did during FP1 on the 2020 prototype tyres will come in handy for next year's car no doubt. However, it was FP2 that was really interesting, sure Lewis got a bit of a "tow" when he set his fastest lap, but he actually set it on the mediums, not the Softs like Sky said, so he has good one lap pace.

It was the race stints that were eye opening though, if those were genuinely representative stints it'll be a straight shoot out between Lewis and Verstappen in the race with no one else getting close. Vettel looked really out of sorts today, as did Bottas, whose body language does not look good this weekend at all. I guess we'll know more tomorrow, but I have to say the track surface is bloody awful. The organisers need to rip the track up and start again, it isn't fit to race on.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Perez punished with pitlane start for missing weighbridge.

Sergio Perez will have to start the United States Grand Prix from the pitlane after he failed to stop for a weighbridge check at the end of second practice in Austin.

The Racing Point driver missed the lights calling him in for a check, but halted briefly in the pitlane when his team told him about it. After questioning what he should do, he was ordered to return to the garage where the team conducted a practice pitstop. Afterwards, he was wheeled back for the weight check.

However, F1’s sporting regulations are strict in stating that any time a driver misses a weight check and their car is worked on, they must be given a mandatory pit lane start penalty. After speaking to Perez and his team in Austin on Friday night, the FIA said that it therefore had no option but to impose such a punishment on him.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(02-11-2019, 01:58 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  It was the race stints that were eye opening though, if those were genuinely representative stints it'll be a straight shoot out between Lewis and Verstappen in the race with no one else getting close. Vettel looked really out of sorts today, as did Bottas, whose body language does not look good this weekend at all. I guess we'll know more tomorrow, but I have to say the track surface is bloody awful. The organisers need to rip the track up and start again, it isn't fit to race on.

Been like that a few years now and its's only going to get worse. The ground this circuit has been laid on is just marsh when it rains (I know from the surrounding car parks in 2015). It's a shame, right up there with my all time favourite race tracks and they built it on a field of jelly!
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Morini I know it's built on Marshland, I have friends who live in Austin. However, a lot of buildings in the area are built on such land, they know how to do it out there, you dig down deep and build proper foundations. At some point they're going to have to decide whether it's worth the cost to do it again properly, or whether to abandon the event. As we live in a hyper capitalist world my fear is that they'll abandon it.