2019 Russian GP

Maybe I shouldn't have agreed to do the roofing, although it's done now. Sounds like it was an interesting Russian GP for a change, but even so, sounds more like Ferrari screwed themselves rather than Mercedes winning it. Still, look who put himself in prime position to pick up the pieces yet again... Lewis Hamilton. Love or hate the guy, he's a class act behind the wheel of a car.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(29-09-2019, 03:35 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Maybe I shouldn't have agreed to do the roofing, although it's done now. Sounds like it was an interesting Russian GP for a change, but even so, sounds more like Ferrari screwed themselves rather than Mercedes winning it. Still, look who put himself in prime position to pick up the pieces yet again... Lewis Hamilton. Love or hate the guy, he's a class act behind the wheel of a car.

Glad you returned to earth in one piece Jody!

OK, that was not an exciting race. It was a dull race with some Ferrari internal political shenanigans that was turned on it's head with Seb's retirement. Otherwise that was looking like a Ferrari 1-2. Still, impressed with how Lewis was able to keep pace with the Ferrari's in the first stint, he put himself Mercedes in a position to capitalise. In all honesty we get to see at the next race just how "sorted" that Ferrari is. If they can nail the medium speed corners at Suzuka as well... then we're going to see a lot more red car wins between now and the end of the season.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

I was streaming the race sat on runway up until vet retired. Had to turn phone off. Glad Merc broke the recent Ferrari dominance and even more glad Wales beat the Aussies Big Grin

This post comes to you from a pizzeria in Baunei, Sardinia. Local beer €3 per pint, happy boy.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Not much to say about the race, Merc done what needed to be done & picked up the pieces when Ferrari`s day fell apart.....however I noted there was not as much whinging done on here this race re: VSC as there was in a previous race when it advantaged a Ferrari driver.....who`d ave thought eh?  Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

The VSC was crucial it changed the race completely. It took control of the race away from Ferrari and handed it to Mercedes. No question it was the turning point of the race I highly doubt Mercedes would have won without it.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

Ferrari, from not winning a single race in the first half of 2019 to being the dominant car.
Vettel clearly was the faster driver today and a shame he could not take the win. Leclerc really is showing his arrogance on the radio these last races. Even if there was a agreement today about the slipstream (silly to me, that is just racing but it seems they made this agreement because Leclerc his feelings were still hurt from last race), Vettel was so fast with not only the start, but also with his pace. It would be stupid to do a switch, also because Hamilton was on their back. Leclerc can be unhappy, but think before saying things into the radio.

Good job from Hamilton, just flawless again.
Saintz again is showing his skills (as does McLaren).
Both Red Bull drivers did well, but that car is now in no-man's land (not fast enough for Ferrari and Mercedes, too fast for the rest).
Magnessen drove very solid, as did Perez.
Gasly, I don't know.
Giovinazzi, I wonder if he needs to be in F1 (while Ocon or Wehrlein is not - and next year maybe even Hulkenberg is missing out).
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

Forza you know my thoughts on the VSC... I do not like it one bit. I actually didn't see the race, just watched the highlights and from what I saw the VSC did change the race, but if it was a full SC Lewis would still have come out in front of Leclerc as they have to drive to the same VSC delta until the SC collects them all. Still, they'd have been more bunched up. I think Vettel was clearly the quicker race driver today, like he was in Singapore.

Nobody likes safety cars to decide race outcomes but in all honesty a VSC is much fairer to drivers than the full safety car.

(29-09-2019, 10:30 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I think Vettel was clearly the quicker race driver today, like he was in Singapore.

I'd say vettel was clearly the quicker *Ferrari* driver today. I have not seen a lot of the race TBH, just snippets, but Ham got fastest lap and it appears was able to keep in touch with the red cars on a slower tyre. When I turned my stream off just after Vettel retired VB (by comparison) was miles behind.

(29-09-2019, 10:56 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Nobody likes safety cars to decide race outcomes but in all honesty a VSC is much fairer to drivers than the full safety car.

It's one of those "you win some, you lose some" scenarios. Compare and contrast Australia 2017.