2019 Italian GP

Just checked Lewis DID NOT receive a penalty for cutting the corner @ Mexico.....from official F1 site...

"Victory in Mexico City brought Lewis Hamilton another seven crucial points closer to Nico Rosberg, and drew him level with Alain Post’s tally of 51 wins in the all-time league. Yet curiously, such were the machinations elsewhere in the race, he drew little of the attention as he went about doing the job he’d gone to do.

Many felt he could count it as a victory, however, not to have been penalised at the start for locking a brake, running off-course on the entry to Turn 1, and heading all the way down on the grass to Turn 3 as he missed out Turn 2.

For a start, he didn’t lose the lead. He actually stretched it, though he backed off slightly thereafter to enable Rosberg to close back in."

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

(11-09-2019, 01:58 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  My point was Lewis both occasions "left the track"......going by the letter of the law so to speak

I agree, but there's leaving the track and there's ignoring the track. In Monaco Lewis' front tyre hit the apex curb. Plus given the conditions (raining but between compounds) and almost everyone missed that chicane... well... it's a hard one.

Mexico would have been more clear cut had all the other cars not run wide as well, and had Lewis not lifted off and had the SC not been deployed. Circumstances matter. The reason CLC seemingly wasn't penalised in Spa is because there was no one he impeded. In Monza... well... I think it was because his car was red Wink

Just to be clear, on the Mexico one Lewis probably should have been penalised. My guess is he wasn't because of the "show" and the fact 2016 was a straight fight between Risberg and Lewis. Which is bollocks I agree, rules are rules.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Admittedly I added the Mexico clip more as a wind up, it was the beginning of the race and stewards give them a by-ball most of the time.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

I like the subject, it needs some more attention or actualy clearity for the fans (and even more for the drivers of course) on how it is judged.
Not every incident is the same.
With these examples, Hamilton and verstappen deserved some form of penalties in Mexico. Hamilton in Monaco did not, or a minor one. Leclerc in Spa didn't needed a penalty, but surely deserved a penalty at Monza.

It is hard Anti, because it's like court cases. Each must stand on their own merits and no two examples are the same. The major issue with Leclercs defense were as follows:

1) Pushing an opponent off of the road like he did last year earned Max Verstappen a 5 second penalty at the same track. Now we can argue whether that was justified or not (I happen to think it was), yet this year they gave CLC a black and white flag. That's fine, it is inconsistent, but they're trying to let people race, and I'm OK with it.
2) Him cutting the chicane in many respects was shockingly similar to Seb's antics in Canada, now did Seb deserve a penalty? That one in my mind can be argued either way, it was borderline for me, I came down on the side of the penalty when I heard he floored it and lost control of his car trying to get back on the track. Now Leclerc floored it too. But to me was never out of control of his car, although the result, Hamilton having to break to avoid a collision was pretty similar.
3) He then proceeded to weave three times to block Lewis coming past. That's illegal. There is no other way to view it. He's allowed one move. He made 3. Considering he'd been black and white flagged... yeah, he should have had a penalty.

The truth is, as he was driving under a black and white flag either of points 1 or 2 should have earned him a penalty, that he didsn't get one is more to do with the car he was in and where the race was.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(11-09-2019, 02:14 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Admittedly I added the Mexico clip more as a wind up, it was the beginning of the race and stewards give them a by-ball most of the time.

I am an unashamed Hamilton fan and even though it was the start of a race (Mexico) he should in my opinion have been penalized.

The use of the phrase gained an advantage is actually totally false, anytime a driver makes a mistake by going offtrack and rejoining in the same place or not is gaining an advantage in my book.

I share my opinion with Jody I do not begrudge Leclerc the win but it has yet again set an awful precedent for the future he absolutely should have been penalized.

I also feel Verstappen would be a different (and better) driver had he been penalized in his early F1 days but everyone was so in love with him and gaga with bulging eyes and tongues hanging out they let him getaway pure murder at times.

The Monaco one with Hamilton I would have let go.

We could between us all on here write a book on track edges/limits. I mean why even bother having a conversation about where they are if you do not enforce them. Its not like its a judgement call either it is BLACK and WHITE!!!

On to Singapore, a race I am a fence sitter on.  Its poor racing but spectacular backdrop, reminds me of the old saying  Mutton dressed up as Lamb!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post