Bottas keeps seat in 2020
Thumbs Up 

Ocon to Renault.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/43714...-and-ocon/

Not sure if this has been verified, but it is what I expected.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

How low I think of Bottas, from Mercedes perspective I have always understood their choice and preference. Also, if this will be confirmed (wich probably will), I think it is a good decission. Mercedes is winning everything and everybody (except Bottas maybe) in the team is happy. Why change?

As a fan, I would rather see some other driver in that car. Ocon isn't my first choice either, he has not convinced me yet. But Verstappen would be great, Ricciardo maybe, but Norris would be more likely.

Anyway, seems Hulkenberg is on the move. Would Red Bull take him in? Or is he out of F1 next year?
[+] 3 users Like Antilochos's post

(22-08-2019, 06:09 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  How low I think of Bottas, from Mercedes perspective I have always understood their choice and preference. Also, if this will be confirmed (wich probably will), I think it is a good decission. Mercedes is winning everything and everybody (except Bottas maybe) in the team is happy. Why change?

As a fan, I would rather see some other driver in that car. Ocon isn't my first choice either, he has not convinced me yet. But Verstappen would be great, Ricciardo maybe, but Norris would be more likely.

Anyway, seems Hulkenberg is on the move. Would Red Bull take him in? Or is he out of F1 next year?

I suspect RBR to wait and see how Albon will be doing in the 2nd part of this season. If it looks promissing, the'll keep him. If there is still much to learn, the might get a driver from out RBR/STR. So, yeah, it might very well be in that scenario Hulkenberg might come to RBR.

And I agree: no need to switch Bottas for Ocon. Bottas is solid as a 2nd driver, which you can't be sure of with Ocon in that second Merc. So no real need to change the Merc line-up.
[+] 3 users Like JDF_AW's post

Well... if that is the case I am disappointed. I think they should give Ocon a shot. But if it is to be another season of Bottas I hope he actually delivers.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

I dont think a decision has been made yet. I can see the pros and cons of Bottas staying or leaving.

Ocon will be in F1 next year and if it is not at Mercedes Renault seems a possibility but where would that place Nico Hulkenberg (Maybe at Ferrari Smile ) ?

I wonder how much movement will actually happen it seems 2021 is the big year
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(24-08-2019, 02:24 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I dont think a decision has been made yet. 

Finally been confirmed. It's on a few sites now.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Yeah, confirmed now, but Ocon to Renault is apparently a no go. Hulk retains an option, not the other way around. So Ocon could be shafted again. Feel sorry for him I really, really do, Bottas really has to deliver now, something I just don't think he's done for three season's now. This is the best he's ever driven, in let's what face it is a dominant car, and he is absolutely nowhere this season in reality, and is at risk to being picked off by Vettel, Verstappen and Leclerc in the championship. He hasn't convinced me he's the right driver for that seat, and if Lewis leaves for Ferrari in 2021 he'll be the continuity choice, and can any of us really see him ever winning a WDC or leading a team? I like Bottas, but he's not top drawer material.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(29-08-2019, 11:45 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Yeah, confirmed now, but Ocon to Renault is apparently a no go. Hulk retains an option, not the other way around. So Ocon could be shafted again. Feel sorry for him I really, really do, Bottas really has to deliver now, something I just don't think he's done for three season's now. This is the best he's ever driven, in let's what face it is a dominant car, and he is absolutely nowhere this season in reality, and is at risk to being picked off by Vettel, Verstappen and Leclerc in the championship. He hasn't convinced me he's the right driver for that seat, and if Lewis leaves for Ferrari in 2021 he'll be the continuity choice, and can any of us really see him ever winning a WDC or leading a team? I like Bottas, but he's not top drawer material.

I agree on the skills of Bottas; he just ain't good enough for the best car in F1. As a fan, I would love to see a better driver in that seat.

On the other hand, Mercedes has won both championships. The seems to be no tensions and their top driver, Hamilton, is happy.
Like they say; never change a winning team.

I just don't see Hamilton leave for Ferrari in 2021 (or any other year). If Hamilton will leave Mercedes, he will leave the sport. In that case Bottas is not the man you want to rely on, but they don't have to. Bottas his contract has the same length as Hamilton's contract. If Hamilton leaves, I am sure Mercedes can pick almost any driver(s) they want as a replacement. I would not be suprised if they taking a change with Verstappen; if Hamilton will leave, Verstappen is free to move and the latter will do so if Red Bull is not a championship winning car. Even if Verstappen is not available, they always can fall back on drivers like Norris, Russel, Ricciardo, etc. 

Ocon on the other hand, like I said he doesn't impress me that much (and apparently Mercedes either). 
So seems like a reasonable choice from Mercedes.