Top Drivers So Far This Year

I was not going to post this but man its so quiet on here a church mouse could whisper and still be heard!

I literally laughed out loud when I read David Crofts piece on Sky F1 what a bunch of baloney. I am going top first. Here we go

1) Lewis Hamilton.  Yes, I know I am big Hamilton fan but I am sorry I cannot find a reason to put him anywhere else.  When you win 8/12 races and lead the Drivers championship by sixty two points you belong at the top in more ways than one.

2) Max Verstappen. Slowly but surely he is gaining experience and more to the point race craft. He has taken Red Bull into a position where they can challenge Ferrari for 2nd place in the Constructors championship. Had Red Bull had a more reliable number 2 it would be even closer. Verstappens time will come of that there is little doubt but talk of the throne being passed on is utterly ridiculous.

3) Charles Leclerc. Expectations were high and yes he has made some errors (who has not in Ferrari this year - Sorry Forza) but there is little doubt he has taken to his Red Stallion with a passion. He is going to be right with Max Verstappen in the future but for some dodgy pit wall instructions and a terrible luck at Bahrain he would probably ahead of his more illustrious stable mate (excuse the pun). 

4) Carlos Sainz. Here is where it gets starts to get a little tricky but for his consistency and the surprising emergence of McLaren I go with Carlos. Sainz has dragged that car and his team to best of the rest status which is viewed by many as almost a different category in F1 these days. The endless debate about drivers and cars will never change but I for one would love to see what he could do in a truly top car but who knows McLaren may well be there in the near future.  He has Ferrari driver type blood in him methinks.

5) Daniil Kyvat. Really his comeback is nothing short of sensational. After the first few races of this year I thought man he is just the same old Torpedo as he always was, but then something changed and he has developed into a really good driver.  He has always had speed but not judgement and whilst it may be too early to say with surety he is a changed man his progress is high noticeable and highly commendable.

Honourable mentions:  I could probably list quite a few drivers here but I will keep it to two.

Alexander Albon. Unexpectedly given his F1 opportunity at the last minute he has absolutely grabbed his opportunity with both hands.  How will he do in the second half of the season remains to be seen but to even get that promotion shows he has something about him. Said it before my gut feeling is this guy has got that something in him.

George Russell. To be in such a terrible car has many thinking how do you even rate him. Those that think that way have little F1 knowledge. In his own way he has done fantastically well at Williams. It is ironic that have beaten his team mate like a rented Mule he has zero points and his Mule team mate has 1. That is the cruel fate that sometimes drivers have to deal with in F1 and indeed many other sports and life too. Through it all he keeps smiling and delivering the best he can do without complaint. Who knows how much better he would be in another car but I think in the short term at least he has proven he belongs.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Nice top 5. I shall put mine in as well, just to keep busy...

1. Verstappen. Hard choice between Verstappen and Hamilton, but I think Verstappen has impressed me more, surely he has suprised me more. Considering he is driving a lesser car than Hamilton even more. Also I think he has made less mistakes. Overal, he is a fan fauvorite since every race he brings it, giving colour and excitement where he goes.

2. Hamilton. Well, he is driving supurbly, only reason he is not my number 1 is Verstappen delivering at least at the same level, but the latter does it with more excitement and in lesser machinery.

3. Carlos Saintz. Just great to see this guy doing well again. Big suprise for me.

4. Lando Norris. Great driving from this rookie. Hope he keeps developing.

5. Raikkonen. Yes, he is down the field, but just great to see him driving that car in a beautiful way. Although he can't compete with the top in that car, his driving seems better than during his last years at Ferrari. He seem to enjoy it again.

Honourable mentions:
- Charles Leclerc. Although I would pick Vettel over Leclerc right now, the latter is the future for Ferrari. He is fast and could be giving us great battles with Verstappen in the future, when both in equal cars hopefully.

Kvyat is doing well, but he should so no mention for him from me in this section. Same goes for Vettel, some great driving from him, but it is not constant enough ánd he is suposed to drive like a world champion (since he is...).
Russel I'm not sure yet. He seems good, but not sure yet. Albon hasn't impressed me that much, curious how he will do in the Red Bull.

Dishonourable mentions:
Yes, lets get this in. Gasly is the obvious choice for this. He suprised me in a bad way, very dissapointing. But the king of the dishonourable mentions must be Kubica. What a embarrisment. Please Williams, release the poor guy.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

Ok top 5 in my view. (some might be slightly biased coz I like them!)

1) Lewis, he just keeps driving at the highest level & keeps improving every year.

2) Max, simply outstanding think we are all fans, this year he has really matured as a person & a driver, so much talent so young, just how good is he going to get? scary.

No3 below as at the moment these two are driving on another level in my view. (3,4,5, is so hard)

3) Charles Leclerc, I have a feeling this lad is going to come back fired up after the summer break, Vettel might be Ferrari's man now, though there is little doubt Charles is the future.

4) Daniel Ricciardo, to move to another team & beat your team mate in the first year is so hard, many great drivers have failed in their first year but it "seems" Daniel is getting the better of a driver I have rated very highly, looks like another impressive scalp is going on his CV.

5) Carlos Saintz, I was never 100% convinced of his quality, I'm man enough/happy to admit he has proved me wrong, doing a great job on Sundays in a very much improved McLaren *insert happy face!*

Honourable mentions.
Lando Norris, this kid keeps showing his pace & its bloody quick!

George Russel, keeps showing a more experienced driver his quality, Mercedes must be very pleased.

Albon, Kvyat & Kimi just missed out of my list.

Dishonourable mentions/stating the bleeding obvious..

Both Haas boys & obviously Gasly.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Norris is my rookie of the year. He's in a top midfield team fighting numerous other teams. He's against a proven quick racer, who is in people top 5 and is really putting the competition to him, with a great qually performance every time. Race results arent there for varying reasons, vast majority completely out of his hands. Where Russel is coming at the back against Kubica, who evidently is no challenge or benchmark. He has had some solid drives, and heres hoping Williams development is good, and Russel can start to get stuck in.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

F1 qualifying head to heads - Final 2022 Rankings.

1) Red Bull: Max Verstappen 18 - 4 Sergio Perez

2) Ferrari: Charles Leclerc 15 - 7 Carlos Sainz

3) Mercedes: George Russell 9 - 13 Lewis Hamilton

4) Alpine: Fernando Alonso 12 - 10 Esteban Ocon

5) McLaren: Lando Norris 19 - 2 Daniel Ricciardo

6) Alfa Romeo: Valtteri Bottas 14 - 8 Zhou Guanyu

7) Haas: Kevin Magnussen 16 - 6 Mick Schumacher

8) AlphaTauri: Pierre Gasly 13 - 9 Yuki Tsunoda

9) Aston Martin: Sebastian Vettel 13 - 7 Lance Stroll

*Nico Hulkenberg 1 - 1 Lance Stroll

10) Williams: Alex Albon 19 - 2 Nicholas Latifi

*Nyck de Vries 1 - 0 Nicholas Latifi

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

F1 race day head to heads - final rankings.

Red Bull: Max Verstappen 17 - 5 Sergio Perez

Ferrari: Charles Leclerc 12 - 9 Carlos Sainz *Both drivers retired in Azerbaijan

Mercedes: George Russell 12 - 10 Lewis Hamilton

Alpine: Fernando Alonso 9 - 12 Esteban Ocon *Both drivers retired in Singapore

McLaren: Lando Norris 16 - 5 Daniel Ricciardo Both drivers retired in São Paulo

Alfa Romeo: Valtteri Bottas 14 - 7 Zhou Guanyu *Both drivers retired in Great

Haas: Kevin Magnussen 6 - 14 Mick Schumacher *Schumacher was withdrawn from Saudi Arabia and both drivers retired in Monaco

AlphaTauri: Pierre Gasly 13 - 8 Yuki Tsunoda *Tsunoda did not start in Saudi Arabia after a heavy crash in qualifying

Aston Martin: Sebastian Vettel 10 - 9 Lance Stroll *Nico Hulkenberg 1 - 1 Lance Stroll *Both Vettel and Stroll retired in Italy

Williams: Alex Albon 16 - 4 Nicholas Latifi *Nyck de Vries 1 - 0 Nicholas Latifi *Both drivers retired in Singapore

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post