NeilP's 10 Takes On The Season So Far

If Peter Windsor can do it then so can I.

In no particular order and avoiding his topics.

1) The season, despite being dominated by Hamilton and Mercedes has thrown up a lot more exciting races than we all probably thought. Long may it continue.

2)  Ferrari are in a shambolic state. I was expecting much better things from this team this season. I am not sure Binotto was ready for the challenge and equally not sure if he ever will be. I think hindsight shows Arrivabene was not doing that bad of a job and I cannot help but feel things would be a little different if he were still there, maybe not  enough to make them lead but for sure have more reliability and credibility of decisions. The pit wall is a disaster.

3) Great to see the rise from the ashes of McLaren. Yes, there is probably a long way to go before they make the podium but they have absolutely made great progress this season. I really like their driver line up.

4) What is going on at Renault? Beaten by Red Bull seasons before and now languishing behind McLaren both being Renault customers. To me this is evidence of next to zero real progress and as much as I like Cyril Abiteboul I think it may be time for a change. Maybe the design philosophy needs to change too but I will leave that to those who know what they are talking about.

5) How can we not be excited about the new kids on the block?  Verstappen, Leclerc, Norris, Russell, Ocon, and Albon all look like they have promising careers ahead of them. F1, at least from a driver stand point is in good hands.

6) I am still concerned about the future of F1 in many areas. I dont like the type of places and street races in particular that seem to be favoured by Liberty and to be frank I am not that enthusiastic about the Dutch GP either. Probably no German GP next year. Something is not right about that.

7) What next for Williams?  Have they reached a point they need to be either taken over or to join up with some other entity. They are so far behind the other teams its embarrassing. This is not a new entry to F1 its one of its notable teams of the past.

8) Honda, what a great job they have done. One of the great names from the past looking better and better this has to bode well for the future. Will they supply a third team in the future, maybe a new team entirely or would RBR try to block that?

9) What a good comeback by Daniil Kyvat. It probably took a lot of intestinal fortitude to step back into the RBR setup, I am not sure many could have done that and prospered as he has. I do not know about his future I see him at Toro Rosso again next season ( Not sure about his contract situation) but he would surely be of interest to other teams. I think he has re established his position in F1.

10) More and more with the rise of so many young drivers the makeup of the 2021 line up with the regulation changes is going to be a huge talking point albeit that next season is still to come. Will we see as many major changes in the top teams as many think we will or will at the end of the day things level out and and it be just another season. That is on my mind even as we (or at least me) discuss (with myself mainly Smile  ) the possible line ups for 2020.

2020, can you believe that!

OMG I am becoming a damn Dinosaur.
[+] 7 users Like NeilP's post

Good post dude.

I'll chime in on the McLaren performance. I think what I'm taking most solace in, is their humility of their improvement. Before, they were over praising themselves, promises were out weighing the deliverance. It was delusional, and I think that's what irked fans the most. Last year we knew was going to be tough with the new engine supplier, truly a teething year, and the strain was showing.

This season I have hardly read anything about over ambitious season expectations, hell, not even somewhat ambitious statements. They have kept to themselves, got on with it, all the while keeping fans well accessed to the team. Subsequently they have let their on track performance do the talking.

The two drivers have put on good performances, really utilising the package the team have produced. All the while, having a jolly o'time with each other, and fans, on social outlets.

All this accumulating in a much more joyous team and fan base. No more horror stories about staff treatment or division. All in the span of 12 months. Yes, they are still perhaps a little misguided in priorities, venturing off in Indycar again. Time will tell what effect that has on their main campaign.

There is still the glaring 1 second deficit to the top teams. I'm under no illusion that this will be closed anytime soon, and I believe so too are McLaren. I did read an article recently, that the team are hoping to build on what they have shown this season, and that it gives them the springboard they need to have much better seasons in the near future, but no over ambitious promises. Humbly saying they have the foundations finally in place, and direction to build such a campaign.

There was probably 10 points in there : P

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 4 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(17-08-2019, 02:02 AM)NeilP Wrote:  If Peter Windsor can do it then so can I.

Great points, can't argue with any of them. Your point #6 is bang on, I get more and more dissillusioned with Liberty Media as every day passes.

Also echo you both on McLaren. I have serious doubts over Zak Brown and I really don't like the indy car direction he seems so hell bent on following, but on the F1 side I think they are having a great season and have a fantastic driver line up. Carlos Sainz is doing a fine job (mostly under the radar) and Lando Norris is rookie of the year IMO.

Far too lazy to think up 10 of my own.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

(17-08-2019, 02:02 AM)NeilP Wrote:  If Peter Windsor can do it then so can I.

OMG I am becoming a damn Dinosaur.

Nice post buddy.   Cool

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post