Albon to RBR from Spa!!!

My worry is that people are overlooking Albon's numerous mistakes already this season, China, Hungary in particular spring to mind, sure he drove well during the race in China to make up for his mistake in qualifying, but there have been other instances where he's made mistakes. He's shown some flashes, but nothing as consistent as either Russell or Norris, and I also think Kvyat has out driven Albon. He isn't ready for a top drive... but he's going to have to get ready very, very quickly if it's not going to destroy him. I hope it's the making of him, and he rises to the challenge.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

I think RBR felt they had no other option at this point. Gasly wasn't providing so far and didn't show some progression either. With Gasly around they would end up #3 in the WCC anyway. With Albon there is a slim chance they might take 2nd.

So, why the choice for Albon? For the above mentioned reason but also, in my opinion, RBR is looking already for a driver outside their team (for 2020 that is). If that is indeed the scenario, it makes sense they don't promote Kvyat to RBR to take him out of that car for an external driver at the end of this season.

They might have made a "deal" with Albon by saying "you are driving the RBR for the rest of this season en go back to STR next season". It's only his first year in F1, so he probably wouldn't have a problem with that. Guaranteed a seat for next year and an opportunity to drive a top car.

This gives RBR more options for next year. If Albon shows good progression and ends in the top 6 a few times, they might keep him in the RBR. If not, nothing is lost, Albon knows the deal, and RBR can go for an other driver outside the RBR program (like Hulkenberg or Bottas for example).
[+] 3 users Like JDF_AW's post

Jody, I don't rate Albon that high. Last year already I said Gasly was better and I still think that. Well, Gasly was dissapointing this year and maybe he can do better with less pressure, but I still think Gasly is better and Albon will not do that much better in the next nine races.
Kvyat still is the best of those three.

Now I think a little bit more about it, maybe Red Bull see the same thing, maybe Red Bull isn't sure if Albon has enough quality. Put him to the test this year, so they know for sure who will be the best choice next year when they want to go for championships.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

Some interesting opinions.

My view? The only reason (that matters) for swapping a driver mid season is to improve the teams chances for securing second place in the WCC. That is worth $$$$ to the team for next year, so I would have thought that the main motivating factor in swapping an under performing driver at the summer break. This is why I was surprised RBR are putting a rookie in for the last 9 races. I really was expecting Kvyat to be in that seat so RBR have a fighting chance of beating Ferrari to second place.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(13-08-2019, 08:17 PM)morini Wrote:  Some interesting opinions.

My view? The only reason (that matters) for swapping a driver mid season is to improve the teams chances for securing second place in the WCC. That is worth $$$$ to the team for next year, so I would have thought that the main motivating factor in swapping an under performing driver at the summer break. This is why I was surprised RBR are putting a rookie in for the last 9 races. I really was expecting Kvyat to be in that seat so RBR have a fighting chance of beating Ferrari to second place.

Makes perfect sense to me Morini. I think either way Albon will get another year with Red Bull either in the top team if he performs or shows real potential or back at Toro Rosso if not. I may out on an island here but I really think this guy has a lot of potential and my gut tells me he is going to surprise some people. He can drive but can he handle the pressure.

Having read Sky F1's take on the situation I am just laughing my ass off. Vettel to Red Bull is becoming a topic of conversation. I will take my clothes off, dance naked around the Oak tree at the bottom of my garden and post the video on the internet if that happens for next season.

They also hypothesized that Kyvat MAY have said no to a promotion. I would find that hard to believe too. Obviously I could not rule that out but what would that say about Kvyats confidence and ambitions if he said no? He has already swallowed the largest portion of humble pie by going back to Toro Rosso in the first place.

Then Chandhok, who is either eating too many of Papas cookies, or is getting a wee bit over excited states: I think it would be box office gold if we had Vettel and Max at Red Bull, Alonso and Leclerc at Ferrari and Lewis and Ocon at Mercedes!" I mean I know we all can get excited at times but that is pure fantasy.

I guess there is a reason they call it the silly season and I think the Sky F1 guys have bitten off a large chunk of silliness with this article!
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

(15-08-2019, 01:26 AM)NeilP Wrote:  Having read Sky F1's take on the situation I am just laughing my ass off. Vettel to Red Bull is becoming a topic of conversation. I will take my clothes off, dance naked around the Oak tree at the bottom of my garden and post the video on the internet if that happens for next season.

We will remind you of this promise. Although I'm not quite sure if it will be pretty to watch Wink
[+] 6 users Like JDF_AW's post