Albon to RBR from Spa!!!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/artic...qqwJa.html

Discuss!!
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

I like Alex Albon a lot. But (there's always a but), I don't think he's ready for this. Hope I'm wrong and he contines to have a stellar rookie season, but putting him in a top three car next to one of the best drivers out there has the potential to wreck his career.

Marko is ruthless, but I also think he's a twat. Toto won't put Russell in the Merc because he doesn't want to "burn" him. Marko obvioualy doesn't give a toss who he burns. Kvyat would have been most peoples choice as a safe pair of hands to see out the season, but the Helmut won't swallow his pride.

I wish Alex every success though. Hope he hits the ground running.
[+] 6 users Like morini's post

I agree Morini, on pretty much everything you've said as you know. Alex isn't ready. I think he potentially will be in a year or two, but he's not now. Kvyat was never getting that seat back like I said repeatedly, because Marko is a complete cockwomble. I wish Albon well, but RBR have destroyed many a young driver.

This move does put more pressure on Mercedes to put Ocon in the other Mercedes, as RBR essentially are blooding youngsters and so are Ferrari. Mercedes and Toto need to take the plunge on youth. Give Ocon his chance and see how Russell develops.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

Think we all agree on what Morini said.
One thing that could be the reason to put Albon in and not the Torpedo, is that they have Albon for their long term plan in Red Bull and don't want to demote Kvyat a second time (but I might be thinking to kind of Marko).

Still, looking at what Red Bull is doing; almost killed Kvyat and seems that driver is not in their vision for Red Bull. Let Saintz walk, with this move probably destroyed Gasly and at the same time kill Albon who might not be ready. To top it all off, Verstappen could leave in 2021 if he is not fighting for a championship in 2020 or potentionally in 2021.

They should've put Kvyat back in Red Bull. He is doing good enough to fight Ferrari and get the points needed to become second in constructor championship (maybe, but he is best of the three now I think). This would not only motivate Kvyat, but also give Gasly a bit more hope for future.
Then, next season, you can always look to schuffle around and promote Albon.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

(12-08-2019, 03:07 PM)morini Wrote:  I like Alex Albon a lot. But (there's always a but), I don't think he's ready for this. Hope I'm wrong and he contines to have a stellar rookie season, but putting him in a top three car next to one of the best drivers out there has the potential to wreck his career.

Marko is ruthless, but I also think he's a twat. Toto won't put Russell in the Merc because he doesn't want to "burn" him. Marko obvioualy doesn't give a toss who he burns. Kvyat would have been most peoples choice as a safe pair of hands to see out the season, but the Helmut won't swallow his pride.

I wish Alex every success though. Hope he hits the ground running.

Yes agree Morini, I wish him well at Red Bull but I fear this decision "could" damage both drivers.

Hoping I'm wrong.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

They dont seem to learn RedBull, do they....

Max was 1 in 1000, and even then , he had a year under his belt first.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Exactly Hesh, he also had a driver alongside him in Ricciardo he could learn off of, ditto Vettel with Webber. They need to give Albon a chance, a serious chance. I hope he's closer to Max than Gasly was, but I doubt it'll change much for RBR, switching mid-season rarely works out.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

I echo the sentiment of you all. This is setting Albon up to fail rather than succeed. I think he has the potential to be a top 5 driver in the future and worthy of a great car. I just hope he does not sink.

I feel for Gasly, he was not ready and it would be a major shock if he was to ever get into the top Red Bull team again. Unless of course Max leaves for another team in 2021.

Where does that also leave Kyvat. It is clear now (as in truth it probably was before) that he will never get into the top team either.

I have said many times I hate Red Bull with a passion, I will never root for them, I find it hard to root for Verstappen because he drives for them. It also proves the old adage to never trust what people say only last week RBR were saying Gasly will be in the car until the end of the season and whilst I do not expect them to be open with the public but it would have been better to say nothing at all.

I have no time for Marko he is a horrible person from what we know of him (which in fairness is very little).

The only thing I am happy about is that Honda have made great progress with their engine and I just wonder know if another team will come into F1 with their engine in the near future but I fear that would piss RBR off to a huge degree. That said McLaren have proven of late there is not too much wrong with the Renault engine either.

I wish Albon good luck he seems such a nice approachable and likable guy. Would make a Good Ferrari driver for the future too! Smile
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

I'm going to say something controversial here... I don't think Albon has the potential to be a top 5 driver. RBR plonked him in good drives in GP3 and F2, in his first F2 season he didn't show enough, and in his second he was consistently beaten by F2 rookies, did we all forget he was heading to Formula E prior to Ricciardo's departure, and RBR's inability to prize Norris away from McLaren. I think that's quite telling in and of itself. RBR had Kvyat planned for the second seat to pair with Gasly, then Ricciardo throws a spanner in the woks, RBR even said they'd consider Ocon if Mercedes would release him, they tried for Norris, and then used their option on Albon to get him out of his DAMS contract was it? He's looked good in the pressure free environment of Toro Rosso, but Kvyat has looked better, which is no slight on Albon, Kvyat is a rapid driver. I have no doubts Albon can have a good career in F1, and even maybe be a solid number 2 for RBR, but a top driver? I have serious doubts personally. Happy if I'm proved wrong though, because he's a really likeable person.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

I dont think your comment is controversial at all Jody. I think my comment about him being top 5 potential is more that way.

What you say about his route to Formula 1 is 100% accurate Jody but to me he has grasped his opportunity with both hands and to me he has that 'something' that I cannot tell you about but is there. I certainly do not think he is a Verstappen or Leclerc in the making but maybe a Hulkenberg.

You are also in my opinion 100% correct about Kyvat. To me he was the more obvious choice, I do not see that promoting Albon is a very good thing he needs more time at Toro Rosso, this move could destroy all he has built up so far. I really hope not. Its bad enough having Verstappen as a team mate that is a tough comparison for anyone but to be so inexperienced, even Gasly had a full season at Toro Rosso.

To me Marko has found another way to punch Daniil in the face, he is much improved this year and lets be fair he had his moments in the top team as well as his disappointments.

I am rooting big time for Albon even though I cannot stand the team and its management.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post