2018 tyres

Exactly, I don't see how that is going to make things any better, or less confusing. They are proposing assigning letters to the tyres, how the fric does that help?!

It's the fact Pirelli added one too many compounds. Consequently ballsing up the colouring, which led to god awful tyre symbols on the timing tower that make no sense, leading to this confusing vibe.

If there was no Superhard, the orange could be used for the Hard, which means there would be no wet slick tyre. Meaning the tyre symbols wouldn't need a letter and could become full colour symbols. Full colour in the centre for new, blacking/greying out the centre for used.

Maybe brand the tyres for each race "Sprint" "Race" and "Endurance" tyre. State before each sessions and in the buildup what compound each is.

What this could lead to is more of the great information censorship.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

Simples, Soft, Medium, Hard, job done...… Tongue

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

The whole situation just shows how utterly dumb the sport has become. There is a certain level of complexity that goes along with any Motorsport, but sometimes F1 doesn't help itself.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(25-05-2018, 12:45 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Simples, Soft, Medium, Hard, job done...…    Tongue

Spot on buddy, it`s not rocket science, keep it simple and there will be no confusion whether a new or old viewer....typical f1....make things as complicated as possible at all times Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(25-05-2018, 12:45 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Simples, Soft, Medium, Hard, job done...…    Tongue

This format is working in MotoGP. Huewen seems to show a little distaste for it, as he is always saying " we don't know what the actual compound is"

It seems a different attitude in MotoGP, tyres play as big a part as they do in F1, but they just get on with it.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(25-05-2018, 03:28 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  This format is working in MotoGP. Huewen seems to show a little distaste for it, as he is always saying " we don't know what the actual compound is"

Lets face it, Huewen isnt sure where he is half of the time let alone know what tyres someone is on Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(25-05-2018, 09:49 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(24-05-2018, 10:50 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Seems to me they are going to make it worse. I mean what is complicated about it now every tyre (tire) has a different name. You just know every commentator is going to say something like;

Yeah, makes perfect sense...

Haha, for a split second I could imagine Murray Walker commentating again.....sounds like something the great man would have come out with Wink
Omg.. yes I can hear Murray just saying that...LMAO!!!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(25-05-2018, 07:33 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Omg.. yes I can hear Murray just saying that...LMAO!!!

I'm of the Murray Walker generation too. Where I can appreciate the visual coverage of F1 (and motor racing in general) is leaps and bounds ahead of what I was watching in the 70's / 80's, the commentary was much better "back in the day". These days we have David Croft and Martin Brundle (FFS!!). Believe me, nothing has me reaching for the mute button like those two fuckwits.

Bring back Murray!
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

https://www.planetf1.com/news/pirelli-wi...-and-soft/

From 2019, Pirelli’s tyre selections for each grand prix will be referred to in a simple manner: ‘hard’, ‘medium’ and ‘soft’.

Nice to know a company as big as Pirelli look at our posts in F1 Banter Haha

So, how much commission am I owed?            Tongue

[+] 5 users Like PapaofGags's post

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137433...inally-die

The 'stupid' F1 tyre conspiracy theory that can finally die.

"The completion of Formula 1's triple-header last weekend should kill off a "stupid" conspiracy theory that was surviving despite mounting evidence it was nonsense.
When Pirelli announced it would make tyres with a 0.4mm thinner tread for the races in Spain, France and Britain to avoid blistering, some considered it was to help Mercedes after the champion team experienced problems during pre-season testing.
Suggestions of favouritism emerged particularly prominently during the Spanish GP weekend and returned in France and Britain, with Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton on pole for all three races and winning two of them.
But Pirelli's modified tyre was introduced after "all the teams" were affected during pre-season, according to its F1 boss Mario Isola.
Barcelona and Silverstone were resurfaced over the winter, and those tracks would now generate a lot of grip that put a lot of energy through the tyres.

This would not wear the tyres physically but would drive surface temperature up, causing blistering, and Pirelli considered that Paul Ricard's smooth, high-speed circuit would also leave it subject to the same problem.
"I'm sure we were not far from blistering at Silverstone," says Isola of last weekend's British Grand Prix. "With standard tread we probably had blistering.
"With this reduced gauge, it was possible to have a real race, looking at the real performance of the car, without any external effect that was changing the balance."

Ferrari's vulnerability at Silverstone could be linked to its car's upgrade floor and diffuser, which boosted overall performance but may have also stressed the tyres more.

Car set-up has a significant impact on how teams prevent or trigger blistering and Vettel experiencing some difficulty at Silverstone is similar to Barcelona, where Ferrari trialled its new rear suspension for the first time.

"In Barcelona it was very important to have the test after the race to show that we didn't make this [change] to give an advantage to anybody," Isola says.

"Sorry to say, it's stupid. We are supplying everybody, any team that is winning a race is on a Pirelli tyre.
"There is no real advantage for us to give support to one or another."
The bottom line is teams that are supposedly kinder on the tyres than Mercedes should not have suffered problems when the tyres were tweaked to handle that better.

Evidently, this was not the case.
Pirelli's modified tyres were only planned to be used for those three races, so the non-issue should finally be over.
If they do return, this year or next, the conspiracy theory should not re-emerge with them.

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post